Sprint solutions include mobile applications, GPS management tools, and vehicle tracking and video capabilities for teens, families and businesses
WASHINGTON (BUSINESS WIRE), April 19, 2013 - As part of its commitment to National Distracted Driving Awareness month, Sprint (NYSE:S, news, filings) is participating in the Federal Communications Commission Distracted Driving Technology Showcase taking place today at FCC headquarters in Washington.
According to the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute, drivers are 23 times more likely to crash if they’re texting while driving.* To help combat this problem, Sprint has developed a wide-ranging portfolio of solutions for teens, families and those who spend a lot of time behind the wheel, such as long-haul truck drivers, delivery drivers, sales representatives and field employees.
Since 2005, Sprint has worked on behalf of its customers and employees on the issue of distracted driving by partnering with schools, nonprofit organizations and product developers on various programs to help combat texting while driving and promote responsible driving. The following Sprint products and partners will be featured at the FCC event:
- Audiovox: Audiovox uses Sprint’s wireless connectivity for its Car Connection on-board diagnostic system (OBD). Car Connection is a simple, do-it-yourself telematics (OBD II plug-in) device that enables you to monitor, manage and maintain vehicle performance under the hood and behind the wheel – all from your laptop, smartphone or tablet.
- Sprint Drive First: The Sprint Drive First application locks an Android mobile phone when the phone’s GPS detects motion above 10 miles per hour. Sprint Drive First can direct incoming calls to voice mail and silences distracting alerts. A customizable auto-response can be sent to all text messages, which are held until the driver comes to a stop. Sprint Drive First is also part of Sprint Guardian, a bundle of safety- and security-oriented services for families. Sprint Guardian also includes Sprint Mobile Controls, Sprint Family Locator and Lookout Family Mobile Security.
- DriveCam: Sprint also works with companies that develop wireless embedded communication solutions to reduce distracted driving. DriveCam offers a driving safety program based on a video event recorder wirelessly enabled by Sprint. When g-forces indicate distracted driving, it sends a video to DriveCam, which then provides a professional safety analysis that fleet managers or parents of teens can use in coaching their driver. American Family Insurance makes it available as its Teen Safe Driver ProgramSM at no charge for its customers.
- Geotab: Geotab provides the world’s most sophisticated GPS fleet management solutions that help organizations develop company-wide management policies to improve driver behavior, enhance driver safety, and on-road productivity.
- FleetSafer: Sprint works with Aegis Mobility to help commercial fleet operators promote safe, legal and responsible use of smartphones. FleetSafer is the first solution to help ensure compliance with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration rules requiring mobile phone calls made by interstate truck and bus drivers to be both “one-touch” and hands-free. The application ensures that smartphones and tablets conform to the organization’s safety policies and best practices regarding texting, emailing or communicating while driving.
More information about Sprint’s focus on driving efforts can be found at www.sprint.com/drive. At this site visitors can access a database of useful distracted-driving mobile applications and find other helpful resources on responsible driving behavior.
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel served more than 55 million customers at the end of 2012 and is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including the first wireless 4G service from a national carrier in the United States; offering industry-leading mobile data services, leading prepaid brands including Virgin Mobile USA, Boost Mobile, and Assurance Wireless; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. The American Customer Satisfaction Index rated Sprint No. 1 among all national carriers in customer satisfaction and most improved, across all 47 industries, during the last four years. Newsweek ranked Sprint No. 3 in both its 2011 and 2012 Green Rankings, listing it as one of the nation’s greenest companies, the highest of any telecommunications company. You can learn more and visit Sprint at www.sprint.com or www.facebook.com/sprint and www.twitter.com/sprint.
*Virginia Tech Transportation Institute, July 2009
Crystal Davis, 703-592-8139