Exhibiting the broad spectrum of capabilities and applications of WaveLogic 3 and unique cross-portfolio packet/OTN switching technologies
HANOVER, Md. — 03/14/2013
Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings), the network specialist, will showcase its widely deployed converged packet optical and built-for-speed packet networking solutions in booth #1010 at OFC/NFOEC, the world’s leading optical communications event scheduled to take place March 17-21 in Anaheim, Calif. Ciena will demonstrate the broad range of capabilities and applications of its WaveLogic 3 coherent optical processors – the industry’s first software-programmable coherent optical processing technology that scales from 100G to 400G. The company will also have on display its extensive packet/OTN switching capabilities across the 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, the 5400 Reconfigurable Switching System and packet networking portfolio. Additionally, Ciena executives will present in a number of technical sessions, workshops and panel discussions throughout the event.
- WaveLogic 3 capabilities and applications (Ciena Booth #1010 and Corning Booth #2419)—Ciena and Corning Incorporated (NYSE:GLW, news, filings) will jointly demonstrate the broad spectrum of capabilities and applications of WaveLogic 3 over Corning® SMF-28® ULL optical fiber, an ultra-low loss single-mode optical fiber. The Corning SMF-28 ULL fiber can extend the reach of 100G transmission by up to 35 percent compared to other standard single-mode fibers, and extend the use of 400G/16-QAM systems from metro/regional to long-haul applications. In this demonstration:
- WaveLogic 3 will be remotely configured to switch between BPSK, QPSK, and 16-QAM modulation formats, demonstrating its ability to address different reach, capacity and latency networking requirements.
- Spectrum of a 400G SuperChannel will be shown, highlighting the benefits of WaveLogic 3’s spectral shaping achieved via Transmitter DSP in minimizing spectral occupancy and ensuring 400G operations over today’s fixed-grid environments, while increasing traffic-carrying capacity in tomorrow’s flexible grid networks.
- Cross-portfolio packet/OTN switching (Ciena Booth #1010) — Ciena will demonstrate its market-leading packet/OTN switching portfolio consisting of flexible configurations that include any combination of pure packet devices and converged packet optical platforms that can scale from 30G transponder-based to Terabit-scale centralized switching solutions. Simultaneous packet and OTN switching provides the ability to deliver any service with the most efficient use of bandwidth resources . Ciena will also show how its OneControl Unified Network Management System can provide end-to-end service management across both its converged packet optical and packet networking solutions for faster service turn-up and responsiveness.
Ciena executives and subject matter experts are also scheduled to present during several scheduled session throughout the event. For a full list of speaker sessions, please visit http://www.ciena.com/connect/ofc-nfoec-2013/.
- 9:00 a.m. – Marc Cohn, senior director of market development at Ciena, will present as part of the workshop: “How Can Optics Address Bandwidth and Latency Bottlenecks in Data Centers?”
- 2:15 p.m. – Steve Alexander, senior vice president and CTO at Ciena, will present as part of the “The Adaptable Optical Layer: Software’s Impact on Optical Communications” panel discussion, during The Optical Society’s 2013 Executive Forum.
- 2:30 p.m. – Steve Alexander, senior vice president and CTO at Ciena, will present as part of the “Advancing Optical Communications in Cloud Computing, Communications and Networking” panel discussion.
- 12: 45 p.m. – Chris Janz, head of market development at Ciena, will present on the “Combined packet and optical architectures and SDN” during the Software Defined Networks session.
- 2:00 p.m. – Joseph Berthold, vice president of network architecture at Ciena, will present during the “Dynamic Network Services” panel discussion.
- 2:00 p.m. – Brian Lavallée, director of global network solutions at Ciena, will present during the “Optical Network Architecture and Technology for Financial Applications” panel discussion.
- Data Sheet: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Product Overview: Packet Networking Portfolio
- Product Overview: OneControl Unified Management System
- Video: What is Coherent Optical Networking?
- Video: Ciena Intelligent Infrastructure Solutions
- Application Note: Enabling a bigger and smarter network with WaveLogic 3
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with OPn, its approach for building open next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena’s actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-K, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 13, 2013. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena’s expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “should,” “will,” and “would” or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377
(877) 243 6273
+1 (214) 995-8035
+44 (0) 207012 5640