Integrated communications on new Kelana Jaya line extension will support fast data transmission for safety, maintenance, monitoring and passenger information services
Kuala Lumpur, March 12, 2013 - Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU), and Malaysian engineering, procurement and construction company, CMC Engineering, are to deliver an advanced communication system for a new light rail network extension of the Kelana Jaya line in Malaysia.
The intelligent communication system will facilitate high-speed voice, data and video traffic, as well as deliver essential services to ensure safety and security on the line’s driverless trains, while keeping passengers informed about their journeys and enabling more efficient maintenance operations.
- Alcatel-Lucent is providing the core transmission system – the communications backbone - based on IP switching and fiber-optic technologies, enabling real-time communications between trains and central control.
- The transmission system will be based on Alcatel-Lucent’s Synchronous Data Hierarchy(SDH) and IP technologies and will comprise the Alcatel-Lucent 1660 SM Optical Multi-Service Node, the Alcatel-Lucent OmniSwitch 9000E and OmniSwitch 6450 Ethernet LAN switches. Alcatel-Lucent will also provide its integration services for delivery of the system.
- Integration of IT applications and operational sub-systems enhances safety and security through remote diagnostics and automated functions, constant awareness situation, with video surveillance, Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition(SCADA), and monitoring systems, as well as telephone and radio communications services, automated fare collection(AFC), and public address and passenger information systems.
- The Kelana Jaya line is the fourth longest fully automated system in the world.
- It serves 350,000 people between Kelana Jaya and Gombak within Kuala Lumpur, the capital and most populous city of Malaysia.
- CMC Engineering is the leader and a key partner in Konsortium CMC-Colas-Uniway (KCCU) to build the extension line which is expected to be completed in 2014.
- The 17km track will include 13 new stations; help further reduce traffic congestion in the city.
Dato’ Abdul Rahman Yusof, Chairman of CMC Engineering said: “CMC Engineering is committed to providing our customers with high-quality, integrated technological systems using a mix of the very latest and best technologies. As such we are pleased to leverage Alcatel-Lucent’s technologies expertise on this project to deliver a robust and reliable communications system that will enable a host of services.”
Rajeev Singh-Molares, President, Alcatel-Lucent Asia Pacific, said: “Alcatel-Lucent is committed to making rail transport safer and more accessible. We have broad experience in providing integrated communication solutions for the rail industry around the world. We are a strong supporter of sustainable transportation projects such as the Kelana Jaya extension line, which will provide a green transport option for many people and open up new opportunities in the area.”
Alcatel-Lucent and Transportation
As the telecom sub-systems integrator of choice, Alcatel-Lucent helps urban and main line rail operators make every journey on-time, safe and reliable. Whether the need is to enhance, renew or build a communication network, Alcatel-Lucent is the ideal partner. With an unrivalled breadth of product and service portfolio and more than 30 years of experience in transportation systems integration, Alcatel-Lucent has proven expertise in designing, deploying, maintaining and operating mission-critical networks. These networks support operational systems such as train control and signalling, ground-to-train communications, and video protection, to name just a few. To learn more about our Dynamic Communication Solutions for Railways – click here.
About CMC Engineering
CMC Engineering Sdn Bhd (“CMCE”) is a regional engineering company based in Asia providing engineering solutions for transportation, telecommunication and Oil & Gas. CMCE is committed to providing ‘international-standard’ services, meeting the requirements and satisfaction of our customers whilst ensuring continual improvement to quality management.
CMCE is the leader and a key partner in the CMC-Colas-Uniway (“KCCU”) consortium, which was awarded the RM673 million (Euro 165 million) project for track work and the provision of the power supply system, communication and control & SCADA systems on the Kelana Jaya Line extension LRT project.
For more information, visit CMCE on http://www.cmce.com.my
CMCE Press Contact
Ms. Rizana Rashid
T: +6 03 4270 2212
About Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU)
The long-trusted partner of service providers, enterprises and governments around the world, Alcatel-Lucent is a leading innovator in the field of networking and communications technology, products and services. The company is home to Bell Labs, one of the world's foremost research centers, responsible for breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry
Alcatel-Lucent innovations are regularly recognized by international institutions for their positive impact on society. In 2012 and for the second year running, Alcatel-Lucent was named one of the Thomson Reuters Top 100 Global Innovators, recognition for the company's continued addition to its world-class patent portfolio, one of the largest in the telecom industry. Alcatel-Lucent has also been recognized for its sustainability performance. In 2012 the company was ranked Technology Supersector Leader by the Dow Jones Sustainability Index. Through its innovations, Alcatel-Lucent is making communications more sustainable, more affordable and more accessible as we pursue our mission of Realizing the Potential of a Connected World
With operations throughout the world, Alcatel-Lucent is a local partner with global reach. The Company achieved revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2012 and is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent blog: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent.