Customers gain lowest latency connectivity to commercial centers of Latin America
REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--
Equinix, Inc. (NASDAQ: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced it has opened a new International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center in the greater Miami area known as MI3. Driven by strong demand from customers in the network, cloud and content and digital media industries, the new facility in Boca Raton provides data center services in the greater Miami metropolitan area and critical overseas connectivity to the commercial centers of Latin America.
Highlights / Key Facts
- Equinix is already seeing strong demand from network customers looking to leverage MI3 for fast access to Latin and South America. MI3 offers a number of benefits to customers, including direct connectivity to the leading Latin American network operators for reduced latency, and close proximity for serving Latin American markets while maintaining infrastructure within the U.S. For network customers, MI3 is a key hub for domestic and international routes, adjacent to several landing stations and offers the lowest latency route to Brazil via GlobeNet.
- Customers that are deploying at MI3 include:
- Allied Fiber, the first carrier-neutral colocation and dark fiber company offering a combined long-haul and short-haul fiber optic system (“multi-access point” system) coupled with carrier-neutral colocation facilities and direct access for data centers, wireless towers and rural broadband network
- Cogent Communications, one of the largest Internet Service Providers in the world
- FiberLight, a premier provider of mission-critical, high performance Dark Fiber, Wavelengths, Ethernet, and IP services
- Inteliquent, which provides intelligent networking to solve challenging interconnection and interoperability issues on a global scale
- Neutrona Networks International LLC, d/b/a IFX International Carrier Services, an independent and neutral Latin American carrier focused on delivering advanced data networking solutions to international carriers in a one-stop shop experience
- Sidera Networks, a premier provider of tailored, high capacity communications services supporting the large enterprise, financial services, and wholesale carrier industries
- tw telecom, a leading provider of Business Ethernet, intelligent network and managed services
- MI3 will provide 31,300 square feet of floor space, with additional options for future expansion. Only 44 miles from Miami, the MI3 location in Boca Raton offers important geographic diversity. Located outside of the evacuation zone for up to category 5 hurricanes, MI3 is ideal for business continuity requirements.
- The MI3 facility, coupled with its investment in ALOG, put Equinix in a strong position to serve the needs of customers looking to expand in Brazil.
- Charles Meyers, president of Americas, Equinix:
“We are seeing strong demand from network, cloud and content customers looking to leverage MI3 for access to the Latin American market. With the MI3 facility, Equinix can offer access to the lowest latency route to Brazil and provide a full range of managed hosting and colocation services delivered by ALOG from our three Brazil-based IBX data centers.”
- Dave Schaeffer, chief executive officer, Cogent Communications:
“As a well-established facilities-based carrier directly connected to over 4,000 networks globally, Cogent understands the importance of leveraging strategic points of presence to expand the quality and reach of our services. By deploying in Equinix’s new MI3 location, we add another key location to our extensive footprint.”
- Judd Carothers, executive vice president, Network Operations, Engineering and Construction, FiberLight:
“At FiberLight, we’re continuing to place a strong focus on further developing our footprint of dense metropolitan and regional fiber. MI3 is an ideal opportunity to not only expand our presence in the wireless backhaul market, but amplify our dark fiber offerings which are continuing to prove to be a popular connectivity alternative for many FiberLight customers.”
- David A. Lopez, president of Americas, Inteliquent:
“Interconnections are a vital component of our EtherCloud offering, and the fact that MI3 has so many cable landings is of great benefit. By continuing our partnership with Equinix, Inteliquent will be well positioned to reach emerging markets around the world.”
- Luciano Salata, vice president, Neutrona Networks:
“Neutrona chose to colocate in the MI3 location because it offers a low-latency gateway to the managed and colocations services in Equinix’s Brazil-based IBX data centers. We can interconnect our Latin American and U.S.-based traffic, helping further enhance our networking advantage.”
- Philip Olivero, chief technology officer, Sidera Networks:
“At Sidera, we are committed to providing highly reliable, low-latency communication services to our clients, which include a number of global financial institutions. Equinix and its business ecosystems have been a key enabler of helping us deliver on this promise. With the addition of MI3 to our network, we hope to expand our metropolitan footprint and continue to optimize our customers’ business performance.”
- Tom Marx, president – National Sales, Wholesale Services, tw telecom:
“Expanding our presence into the new Equinix MI3 location was an easy decision. With our launch of the industry’s first national Ethernet NNI access service based on MEF 33 standards, enterprise customers and international carriers now have another choice to access our national footprint. As a major player in the data center space, Equinix is well positioned to deliver a marketplace that aligns with our strategies of enhancing service and identifying new business opportunities.”
Equinix, Inc. (EQIX), connects more than 4,000 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world’s most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 30 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific.www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix’s recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
Melissa Neumann, +1 650-598-6098
GolinHarris for Equinix, Inc.
Liam Rose, +1 415-318-4380
Equinix Investor Contacts
Katrina Rymill, +1 650-598-6583
Jason Starr, +1 650-598-6020