BEDFORD, MA, November 28, 2012 – Acme Packet® (NASDAQ: APKT), the leader in session delivery networks, today announced the first successful demonstration of a WebRTC-enabled browser calling a mobile network subscriber via a multi-vendor IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) network – employing a session border controller (SBC) for secure and seamless interoperability between the web and an IMS core with connectivity to the PSTN.
- WebRTC is an emerging standard for real-time communications (RTC) in web browsers and embeds voice and video directly into existing browsers without having to download stand-alone communication applications.
- Enabled by Acme Packet SBCs, an HTML5-based WebRTC dialer on a laptop was used inside of Google’s Chrome browser to initiate a call to a 3G mobile subscriber using a major North American mobile service providers’ multi-vendor IMS infrastructure.
- This demonstration represents a significant step towards the broader use of WebRTC by showing how WebRTC technology can be used to connect billions of Internet users to the PSTN’s six billion fixed line and mobile subscribers.
- Today Acme Packet will be presenting a live demonstration of this capability at the WebRTC Conference & Expo in San Francisco, CA. Visit http://lphs.acmepacket.com/contact-us to schedule a meeting at the event.
- An early proponent of WebRTC, Acme Packet is actively involved in WebRTC standardization in the IETF, including recommendations on WebRTC to SIP interworking and the use of SIP over WebSockets. Acme Packet has supported the use of web service interfaces to control real-time communications in commercial deployments for more than five years.
WebRTC Benefits with Acme Packet Solutions:
- Vendor-neutral interoperability with third-party technology and networks
- Features and interfaces for both web and SIP developers
- Extension of existing SIP systems over the web through simple REST APIs or SIP over WebSockets
- Ability to enable cutting-edge features, such as click-to-call and virtual phones
- Trusted, first-class security with SBC functions
- Advanced quality and reliability, regardless of network or vendor
Acme Packet’s successful demonstration of an IMS-connected WebRTC browser signals a new wave of communications by virtually placing a user’s phone in any browser," said Pat MeLampy, chief technology officer, Acme Packet. "With Acme Packet solutions paving the way, WebRTC capabilities could extend IMS service delivery from carriers, revolutionize call center efficiency through web page click-to-call, and broaden enterprise unified communications service delivery."
"WebRTC is one of the most interesting and disruptive innovations I’ve seen in the last 10 years," said Dean Bubley, founder of analyst firm Disruptive Analysis. "It has the potential to extend existing service provider SIP assets and capabilities out onto the wider Internet, and also enables creation of brand-new forms of voice, video and messaging communications, going beyond a narrow definition of 'service' towards embedded features and functions built into the very fabric of the web itself."
More about Acme Packet and WebRTC:
- Acme Packet over the top (OTT) and WebRTC solutions and applications
- Peering into the Communication Crystal Ball: WebRTC
- Microsoft’s Entrance to WebRTC: Speed Bumps Ahead?
More about Acme Packet:
Acme Packet, APKT, VoIP, voice over IP, session border controller, SBC, WebRTC, RTCWeb, real-time communications, call center
About Acme Packet
Acme Packet (NASDAQ: APKT), the leader in session delivery network solutions, enables the trusted, first-class delivery of next-generation voice, video, data and unified communications services and applications across IP networks. Our Net-Net product family fulfills demanding security, service assurance and regulatory requirements in service provider, enterprise and contact center networks. Based in Bedford, Massachusetts, Acme Packet designs and manufactures its products in the USA, selling them through over 309 reseller partners worldwide. More than 1,850 customers in 109 countries have deployed over 20,000 Acme Packet systems, including 89 of the top 100 service providers and 48 of the Fortune 100. For more information visit www.acmepacket.com.
Acme Packet, Inc. Safe Harbor Statement
Statements contained herein that are not historical fact may be forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Such forward-looking statements may relate to, the benefits of our products and solutions, including cost savings and flexibility. Such forward-looking statements do not constitute guarantees of future performance and are subject to a variety of risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those anticipated or suggested in any forward-looking statements are contained in the Company’s recent filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including those factors discussed under the caption “Risk Factors” in such filings.