Rio de Janeiro, BRAZIL, October 10, 2012 – Telefônica|Vivo, a major service provider in Brazil, has selected the Cisco® IP Set-Top Box Series for its new Vivo TV Fibra service, which was announced this week at Futurecom trade show in Brazil.
The comprehensive, flexible technology platform will enable Vivo TV to deliver advanced Internet Protocol-based (IP) television services in high-definition (HD), including integrated Digital Video Recorder (DVR) capabilities for customers to pause live TV, view and record multiple shows simultaneously, enjoying their favorite programming at their convenience.
- Cisco is providing Vivo with the ISB 7100 Series High-Definition (HD) IPTV Set-Top Box, including DVR and non-DVR versions.
- The ISB 7100 Series is a high performance and cost-effective family of HD Set-Top Boxes that feature the latest integrated HPNA technology for a “no new wires” IP connection using existing in-home coax cable, reducing cost and time of installations.
- The ISB 7100 Series offers flexibility with multiple TV connections for quick and easy installation (HDMI and composite).
- The DVR version has an integrated 500 GB hard disk drive (HDD) for customers to pause live TV, view and record multiple shows simultaneously, rewind, fast-forward and pause recorded content.
- Cisco is a market leader for IP Set-Top Boxes around the world with the largest installed base of IP set-tops with Microsoft Mediaroom (the same one implemented by Vivo TV Fibra).
- Cisco is an innovation leader in this segment, providing next-generation wireless IPTV sSet-Top Boxes, hybrid IP Set-Top Boxes, advanced power management and diagnostic application technologies.
Hugo Baeta, manager regional sales, Cisco Brazil:
“This project is the first of a kind in the IPTV segment in Brazil, bringing to the market a high degree of innovation and quality as a result of a successful initiative between Vivo and Cisco. It should set the start for a new era of TV experience for the Brazilian users.”
Telefônica | Vivo is the biggest telecommunications company in Brazil with over 91 million accesses, 76.5 million only in mobile operation, which holds the higher market share in the segment (29.66%) at national level. Telefônica | Vivo is engaged in the provision of fixed telephony services in the State of São Paulo and mobile throughout the national territory and has a complete portfolio of products and convergent (fixed and mobile voice, fixed broadband and mobile ultra broadband (over fiber), TV, data and IT). The company is present in more than 3,700 cities, over 2,800 of them with access to the 3G network - more than the total number of cities served by other service providers.
Brazil, where it has worked since 1998, is the biggest global operation of Telefônica by number of customers and direct employees (about 100 thousand). The main companies are Telefônica Brazil (Telefônica | Vivo), Atento (call center) and Terra (provider and Internet portal). The Telefônica Group is one of the biggest communication conglomerates in the world with a presence in 25 countries. The investments planned for Brazil in the period of 2011-2014 amounted to R $ 24,3 billion.
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco equipment in emerging markets is supplied by Cisco Systems International BV, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.