First-Time Demonstrations of NDS-accelerated Videoscape Portfolio, Cisco's Video Control Plane Vision and ongoing CCAP & DOCSIS Leadership
SAN JOSE, Calif., and ORLANDO, Fla., SCTE Cable-Tec Expo, October 17, 2012 – At the Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers (SCTE) Cable-Tec Expo in Orlando this week, October 17-19, Cisco is showcasing ‘Videoscape for Cable', an open, modular platform enabling cable operators to deliver integrated quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM) and IP services, including multiscreen video and time shift TV, at scale from a single infrastructure.
For the first time in the U.S., Cisco is demonstrating new Videoscape experiences expanded by the recent NDS acquisition, now including the award winning Snowflake™ experience. Customers visiting Cisco at booth #2034 will also see Cisco's industry leading converged cable access platform (CCAP) strategy in action, as well as service provider WiFi and core IP technologies, which together enable service providers to meet and exceed their customers' avid IP bandwidth requirements.
Key Product Demonstrations:
- Videoscape Experiences:Cisco will demonstrate exciting new Videoscape-delivered services and user experiences including NDS Snowflake and companion screen solutions.
- Converged Cable Access Platform (CCAP):Cisco will demonstrate advanced CCAP solutions, offering the cable industry significantly improved operational efficiency, reduced rack space and power consumption, and the capacity to keep up with the unprecedented growth of DOCSIS and IP video traffic.
- Unifying QAM & IP: Cisco will show how digital network control system (DNCS) is evolving to simplify headend management, unify and harmonize QAM and IP connected devices, and dramatically improve operator service velocity.
- DOCSIS Leadership: Cisco will demonstrate how its video-over-DOCSIS 3.0 solution enables cable operators to allocate their DOCSIS network resources to deliver IP video, and maximize the quality of experience for their subscribers.
- Cisco is honored to announce that John Chapman, Cisco fellow and CTO of Cisco's Cable Access business unit, will be inducted into the SCTE Hall of Fame for his contributions to the SCTE organization at the Annual Luncheon on Wednesday, October 17, from noon to 2 p.m. Chapman, along with other cable operator engineers, helped to define and write the original DOCSIS cable modem specification. He has also made substantial industry contributions to CMTS, wideband/channel bonding, Packet Cable, and all-IP networks.
Cisco Speakers at SCTE Cable-Tec Expo:
- Ron Hranac, technical leader, Cisco, and John Chapman, CTO, Cisco's Cable Access business unit: "Do You Have Legacy Issues in Your Upstream Plant?"2:45 – 4:00 p.m., Tuesday, October 16, and 11:00 a.m. – 12:15 p.m., Thursday, October 18.
- Ron Hranac, technical leader, Cisco, and Marty Mattingly, business development manager, Cisco: "Advanced DOCSIS® vs. EPoC: A Residential Case Study,"Tuesday, October 16, 1:15 – 2:30 p.m., and Friday, October 19, 1:00 – 2:15 p.m.
- Steve Tranter, vice president, Broadband, NDS, now part of Cisco: "Architecting Content-On-The-Go Strategies in a Multi-DRM Environment,"Tuesday, October 16, 2:45 – 4:00 p.m., and Friday, October 19, 1:00 – 2:15 p.m.
- Conrad Clemson, senior director, Product Strategy, Cisco Service Provider Video Technology Group (Moderator): "Leaving the Legacy: IP Video Middleware Solutions for a New Generation,"Tuesday, October 16, 2:45 – 4:00 p.m. and Friday, October 19, 4:00 – 5:15 p.m.
- Bram Verburg, system architect and standards advocate, CTO Office, Jungo, a Cisco Company: "The Digital Home Frontier: The Challenges of Managing Services within the Home Network," Digital Home Symposium, Tuesday, October 16, 1:30 – 2:00 p.m.
- Ron Hranac, technical leader, Cisco: "Another Look at Signal Leakage: The Need to Monitor Low and High Frequencies,"Wednesday, October 17 – Friday, October, 19, 4:00 – 5:15 p.m., and Thursday, October 18, 11:00 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
- Vince Pandolfi, consulting systems engineer, Cisco: A Light Reading Cable Breakfast, "Cable's Mobile Maneuvers: How Wi-Fi and Cellular Are Fueling the Industry's Wireless Ambitions," Wednesday, October 17, 7:00 – 8:00 a.m.
- Manjula Talreja, vice president, Global Cloud business development, Cisco: WICT Tech it Out Conference at Cable-Tec Expo, "Growth as a Leader in Technology,"Thursday, October 18, 1:25 – 2:50 p.m.
- Rajiv Asati, distinguished engineer, Cisco, and Sangeeta Ramakrishnan, principal engineer, Cisco: "Architectural Approaches for Integrating SP WiFi in Cable MSO Networks," Thursday, October 18, 9:30 – 10:45 a.m., and Friday, October 19, 1:00 – 2:15 p.m.
Cisco-sponsored "SCTE IP Challenge":
- SCTE is hosting the second annual "SCTE IP Challenge," a friendly competition designed to test knowledge and heighten understanding of Internet Protocol (IP) technologies. The finals of the SCTE IP Challenge, sponsored by Cisco, will combine a fast-paced "Jeopardy"-style question format before a live audience on the eve of SCTE Cable-Tec Expo Tuesday, October 16, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Information and registration is available at http://www.scte.org/ip/.
- Mark Palazzo, vice president and general manager, Cisco Cable Access Business Unit
"Cisco's presence here at SCTE Cable-Tec Expo showcases how we are working in lockstep with customers to help them migrate toward an all-IP service platform to delivery multiscreen video services. We offer multiple approaches to help service providers take advantage of existing infrastructure and combine network components to adopt an incremental service deployment approach and pay-as-you-grow business model. We look forward to another successful Expo, and encourage you to attend one of the many technical workshop sessions featuring Cisco speakers, who will share insight and opinions on a variety of network architecture hot topics."
- About Cisco Videoscape http://www.cisco.com/go/videoscape
- About Cisco CMTS
- Cisco Service Provider blog: SP360: http://blogs.cisco.com/sp
- Follow Cisco at SCTE Cable-Tec Expo news and activities on Twitter: #CiscoCable-Tec Expo and #Videoscape
Cisco, CCAP, Cable-Tec Expo 2012, DOCSIS 3.0, John Chapman, QAM, SCTE, SCTE Hall of Fame, Mark Palazzo, Videoscape, Video over DOCSIS 3.0
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
About Cisco Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.