Increases Capacity, Network Footprint and On-Net Buildings across
Entire Fiber Optic Footprint
ROCHESTER, NY – August 7, 2012 – Strengthening its position as one of the fastest growing alternative fiber-optic network providers, Fibertech Networks today announced it has surpassed significant operational milestones in the first half of 2012.
“Over the course of the past 12 years, we have continually re-invested profits back into the business to enhance our network and operations,” said John Purcell, Chairman and CEO for Fibertech. “By directly building and operating our own network infrastructure to deliver services, we can boast zero network congestion, ultra-high network availability, low latency, and no oversubscription of services – all key differentiators for us that contribute to our outstanding customer satisfaction record.”
With more than 6,440 on-net buildings in its 23 mid-tier market footprint, the company also connects nearly 2,100 cell sites with its fiber-only network infrastructure. This optical connectivity is able to support wireless backhaul with over 600 Gig of data transport and is virtually limitless for dark fiber service.
“The fastest growing part of our business has been wireless backhaul. Wireless carriers are investing in high-bandwidth infrastructure to connect cell sites to meet the ever-growing consumer demand for mobile data,” said Mike Hurley, VP Sales and Marketing for Fibertech. “Our ability to cost-effectively link cell towers and small cell systems with direct fiber optic connections allows them unprecedented control and scalability of their network.”
The company has beenleasing network capacity to wireless carriers since 2004 and has experienced unprecedented growth in the sector, rapidly becoming a major provider of backhaul transport in the form of both dark fiber and optical services to the cell site.
Other Network and Optical Service Highlights
In an effort to better serve its customers, Fibertech continues to invest in its core networks, recently completing a multi-million-dollar upgrade to its core infrastructure to boost performance in the form of scalability, reliability, and the lowest possible latency for its customers.
- Completed an upgrade to a new Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) switching platform, providing a more efficient and reliable network for its customers.
- Expanded broadband capabilities to include Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) service from Newark, NJ to Stamford, CT. The company plans to complete additional expansion of DWDM service to connect from Springfield, MA to Philadelphia, with the ability to support 400 Gig of capacity.
- Upgraded its Internet backbone which now supports all levels of Internet connectivity including IPv6, the most recent protocol adopted this year. Fibertech demonstrated its capabilities by participating in World IPv6 Day by showcasing its website in IPv6. The company can now offer IPv6 in all of its markets.
- Expanded its core infrastructure by more than 1,300 miles, bringing the company’s total to more than 8,100 route miles in service.
- Sold and installed more than 2 Terabits of native Ethernet lit services and more than 110 Gbps of Internet.
Concluded Hurley, “By investing in new network technology and enhancing our service offerings, we’re able to better leverage our fiber infrastructure and quickly add bandwidth capacity for the continued support of our customers’ ever-growing bandwidth needs.”
About Fibertech Networks
Headquartered in Rochester, N.Y., Fibertech Networks is a leader in providing fiber-opticbased network services throughout mid-size cities in the Eastern and Central regions of the United States. Fibertech was founded in May of 2000, has built metro-area fiber networks in 23 mid-size markets in the Eastern U.S., and is led by Court Square Capital Partners of New York, N.Y. Further information about the company can be found at www.fibertech.com.
# # #