Ciena’s solution enables Cal’s business continuity strategy and compliance with financial services industry regulations
LINTHICUM, Md., U.S.A. and GIV’ATAYIM, Israel — 07/23/2012
Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings), the network specialist, and its BizConnect Platinum partner Telrad, have been selected by Cal (Israel Credit Cards Ltd) to build a high-capacity, low-latency private optical network connecting its new data centre in Yehud to its main facilities in Giv’atayim. The metro network was recently installed in an aggressive timeframe and allows Cal to address business growth and local disaster recovery requirements, as well as avoid the need to utilize costly leased connectivity.
- Cal is one of Israel’s leading credit companies, and markets Visa, MasterCard and Diners Club credit cards as well as other credit solutions to approximately two million customers. Driven by an increase in data volume and regulatory requirements, Cal decided to relocate its backup site in Rishon LeZion to a new, larger data centre in Yehud. The additional bandwidth requirements meant that Cal needed to quadruple capacity on the 30 km link connecting its data centres, which made it more cost efficient to build a dedicated network versus leasing a managed line from a local service provider.
- Ciena’s 4200 Advanced Services Platform is being used by Cal to support two 10G Ethernet and four 4G Fibre Channel connections between the data centres. The highly-scalable modular system supports a seamless upgrade to 40G and beyond, allowing Cal to cost-effectively scale its network capacity as requirements change over time.
- The Ciena-based high-capacity network significantly improves Cal’s back-up and storage processes. It now takes a quarter of the time to backup a day’s worth of data and now every transaction can be stored in both sites. This allows Cal to comply with regulatory disaster recovery requirements and uphold its business continuity plan, while enabling the enterprise’s personnel to work more efficiently.
- As part of the data centre development project, Cal leased two dark fibre links between its sites to be used as active-active links, for which Ciena’s technology provides a very low latency solution.
- The migration and expansion project took place within an ambitious timeframe – Telrad and Ciena worked closely together to complete the deployment in only two weeks without any disruption to Cal’s existing services.
- The contract also includes a long-term service agreement. Ciena trained Cal’s Operations Group to efficiently manage the network, while Telrad’s local team is providing timely issue resolution and ongoing support through on-the-job training and a local call centre.
- “Our business continuity planning efforts and regulatory compliance requirements, coupled with our constant growth and commitment to offer our customers the best service possible, led to the need to reassess our data centre interconnect infrastructure. Two aspects played a central role when selecting our networking partner: future-proof technology and trust. Ciena’s highly resilient, scalable and low-latency network allows Cal to cost-effectively plan for future growth. At the same time, we also know that Ciena’s roadmap will continue to support this platform, since it is ahead of the industry and allows a seamless upgrade to 40G and beyond. Telrad’s ability to meet Cal’s timeline and ongoing support has been equally important.”
– Avi Polak, head of infrastructure department at Cal
- “Financial organisations operate in a highly-regulated and fast-paced environment, with requirements likely to increase as regulators across the globe focus on data recovery, security and business continuity concerns. With Ciena’s technology, Cal can be ahead of the competition in today’s volatile business environment and easily adapt its network to meet future requirements, from higher capacity to in-flight encryption.”
– Eric Sele, vice president of sales for Southern and Central Europe, Middle East and Africa at Ciena
- “Credit card holders rely on their provider to reliably and efficiently handle their financial information and transactions – and financial institutions face great losses and reputation damage if they cannot fulfil this promise. Telrad and Ciena have partnered to provide Cal with a reliable, efficient and future-proof solution that involves both state of the art technology and ongoing local support. Telrad’s support and field engineering teams are always on hand to help prevent and resolve any issues.”
– Shai Yanai, executive vice president at Telrad
- Ciena’s 4200 is a multiservice aggregation and transport solution that supports a wide range of services to meet all business application transport requirements over a single network with carrier-grade reliability.
- Ciena’s equipment allows for smooth integration with the storage solution deployed in Cal’s data centres.
- The platform includes Ciena’s FlexiPort, the industry’s first remotely programmable transport technology, which allows fast provisioning and turn-up of new services across the network and simplifies moves and changes for existing services.
- Product Brochure: 4200: Redefining the Service-Enabled Optical Network
- Whitepaper: Ciena’s 4200 Boots Competitive Advantage for Fortune 500 Firm
- Whitepaper: Wire-speed Encryption Solution
Cal is one of Israel’s leading credit companies, dealing in the issue and clearance of the world’s leading credit card brands: Visa, MasterCard and Diners. It provides financial services and solutions for 1.8 million card bearing clients and tens of thousands of businesses. In order to comprehensively address all of its clients’ needs, Cal employs 1,500 employees in the company’s offices in Giv’atayim and at an additional center in Modi’in-Elit. The company is jointly owned by the Israel Discount Bank Ltd. (72%) and the First International Bank of Israel (28%).
About Telrad Networks
Telrad Networks is an established telecom equipment vendor and services company that has been providing communications products and services used by millions of end-users worldwide. The company combines a high level of technological experience gathered in decades of dedication to customer service with expertise in developing products in the areas of IP NGN soft switches, media gateways, Transport solutions in the optical and metro networks, enterprise, wireless, and switching. In tangent to its product divisions, Telrad provides full solutions and system integration for TDM and NGN solutions.
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they compete. With focused innovation, Ciena brings together the reliability and capacity of optical networking with the flexibility and economics of Ethernet, unified by a software suite that delivers the industry’s leading network automation. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena’s actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 6, 2012. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena’s expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “should,” “will,” and “would” or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377
(888) 243 6223
+1 (214) 995-8035
+44 (0) 207012 5640