Hotspot 2.0 solution integrates into any network topology to deliver scalable, high-availability service for the rapid rise of mobile data traffic
HUNTSVILLE, Ala.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Jun. 19, 2012– ADTRAN®, Inc., (NASDAQ:ADTN, news, filings), a leading provider of cloud connectivity, virtual mobility and enterprise communications solutions, today announced the world’s first cloud-based Mobile Data Offload solution for carriers. Based on the soon-to-be-ratified Wi-Fi Alliance’s Hotspot 2.0 standard, ADTRAN’s virtualized approach eliminates the need for hardware-based controllers in the network, significantly reducing the cost, complexity and management overhead associated with traditional approaches to scaling network access. This fundamentally new approach is enabled by combining advanced virtual wireless LAN (vWLAN) capabilities into a seamless mobile backhaul solution for a highly available, scalable solution capable of integrating into any network topology. ADTRAN’s solution also addresses each area of network congestion for the carrier – cellular backhaul, Radio Access Network and enterprise access – and provides the means to eliminate the log jam created by the rapid rise in mobile data traffic.
The solution addresses these key pain points for carriers based on ADTRAN’s unique understanding of the drivers coming from its thousands of enterprise customers and how these needs are impacting carriers’ ability to advance their network to respond. ADTRAN’s solution is a combination of technologies that have been developed to serve both markets and then integrated to provide a level of control and integration not available from other disjointed solutions on the market today. Over the next several months, ADTRAN will advance its offering through key partnerships with other leading suppliers, system integrators and solution providers.
As ADTRAN has worked with its customers to define and address the challenge Mobile Data Offload presents, the following key elements were determined to be critical for any carrier looking to find a long-term, cost-conscious, scalable solution. These elements, along with some key dependencies, include:
- Optimized Cloud-based Solution
- Scalability: Distributed data plane and centralized control plane allow thousands of access points to be managed by a single software-based controller.
- High Availability: Geographically-separated controllers that offer zero packet-loss during controller failover.
- Single Solution for Multiple Services: Hosted/managed enterprise Wi-Fi, mobile offload, smart metering and other Wi-Fi-enabled services can be offered from a single architecture.
- EAP-SIM/AKA with Integrated AAA Support: Ability for access points to communicate directly with AAA systems for user authentication, either fully integrated or via certified partnerships.
- Delivers More than Wi-Fi Edge Relief
- Optimized AP Backhaul: Carrier Ethernet service delivery with optional powering over bonded copper pairs to provide high-bandwidth backhaul and power to outdoor access points.
- Integrated SLA Management: Extensive OAM feature set with Y.1731 SLA monitoring integrated access point monitoring with wireline backhaul monitoring systems.
- Supported by a Committed Eco-system
- Cross Certification: No single vendor will be able to bring all the components, so it’s critical to select solutions that are augmented with Technology Alliance Partners.
“We are excited about our prospects in the Mobile Data Offload market and have already seen great traction in current Proof-of-Concepts with major carriers around the globe,” stated Mads Lillelund, general manager for ADTRAN’s Bluesocket Business Group. “The true value of ADTRAN’s solution is that providers can seamlessly deploy a genuine carrier-class Mobile Data Offload solution that complements their existing cellular networks and addresses key business issues while lowering overall expenditures.”
ADTRAN, Inc. is a leading global provider of networking and communications equipment, with a portfolio of more than 1,700 solutions. ADTRAN’s products enable voice, data, video and Internet communications across a variety of network infrastructures. ADTRAN solutions are currently in use by service providers, private enterprises, government organizations, and millions of individual users worldwide. For more information, contact the company at +1 866 633 3358, prompt 3, or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. On the Web, visit www.adtran.com.
Source: ADTRAN, Inc.
Connect2 Communications for ADTRAN, Inc.
Ashley Baster, 919-435-9112