It's renewing its WiFi network in response to the growing demand for multimedia applications, user control and greater security
Madrid, 23 May 2012 – Cisco has announced that Universidad Europea de Madrid has chosen Cisco Aironet 3500 access points, which incorporate the innovative Cisco CleanAir technology and Cisco Unified Wireless Network, to give free wireless connection to all students, and total coverage of the campus. Universidad Europea de Madrid has more than 16,000 students and offers a full range of courses for undergraduate degrees, conversion courses, masters, and expert courses in many disciplines. Cisco CleanAir is the industry's first technology based on a specific chip aimed at protecting WiFi networks against interference and providing complete visibility of all wireless information highways.
Back in 2001, Universidad Europea de Madrid was the European pioneer by setting up a wireless network with total coverage of its Villaviciosa de Odón campus, giving professors, students and administrative personnel access to the Internet, the intranet and all corporate resources via Cisco Catalyst switch technology. This commitment to mobility led it to expand the capacity of its WiFi network in 2005, which coincided with an upgrading of services to students and professors, including webmail, the library catalogue and data storage.
Universidad Europea de Madrid is now carrying out a total renovation, preparing its network to respond to the growing demand for multimedia applications while providing user control and enhanced security.
- The University has deployed 300 Cisco Aironet 3500 wireless access points based on the innovative Cisco CleanAir technology and Cisco Unified Wireless Network software. Cisco CleanAir not only increases the power of access points, it is the industry's first technology based on a specific chip aimed at protecting WiFi networks against interference from telephones, wireless videocameras, microwaves and Bluetooth devices, and providing complete visibility of all wireless information highways.
- With Cisco CleanAir technology, Universidad Europea de Madrid has laid the groundwork for the adoption of a true strategy of mobility without frontiers: the network is now ready to support radiofrequency identification (RFID) technology and personalized client attention services, and in the near future the University intends to implement voice calls over WiFi and a system to control and optimize energy consumption, besides extending its network to other locations as part of the University's strategy of expansion.
- Thanks to the automated management provided by the Cisco Wireless Control System (WCS) integrated into the platform, it is possible to check precisely the location of all users – registered or otherwise – and all access points, yielding a complete map of devices plus information about the performance and status of the network, and warding off threats. So students are now able to interact with each other at all times, check their files or pending tasks, and carry out research from any location.
- All in all, Universidad Europea de Madrid is giving its WiFi network users total mobility between the different areas and buildings on campus, with access to the virtual classroom system and its multiple functions – notes, documentation, tasks, files, chat, forum etc. – facilitating interaction and collaboration from any location, in complete security.
Universidad Europea de Madrid CIO José Joaquín Loza,
- "Due to the large increase in the number of students, we are planning to increase the density of our access points, preparing the network to support heavier traffic and new video applications, which are now essential for the tasks of research and collaboration". "Cisco technology automatically manages and optimizes the wireless network, rapidly adjusting the wireless signal to operate on an unassigned spectrum, thus improving its performance, reliability and security."
Pilar Santamaría, Cisco's director of Business Development for Borderless Networks in the Southern Europe Region
- "Exponential growth in the number of portable devices and their users, the increasing use of video and multimedia applications, and the demand for ubiquitous mobility are converting wireless networks into an essential part of the communications infrastructure of any organization, a requirement to which Universidad Europea de Madrid is responding with CleanAir technology in order to distribute critical applications with the maximum performance and security."
About Universidad Europea de Madrid
Universidad Europea de Madrid, the leader on the Spanish private higher education market, is an educational institution with a vocation for innovation that enjoys acknowledged prestige and has more than 16,000 students. Its mission is to provide students with a comprehensive education, and to train leaders and professionals who are prepared to meet the requirements of a global world, bring value to their professions, and contribute to social progress with entrepreneurial spirit and ethical commitment. Universidad Europea de Madrid also has the objective of generating and conveying knowledge through applied research, as well as contributing to progress and taking its place in the vanguard of intellectual and technical development. Faithful to its innovative vocation, it bases its activities on three fundamental values: an international outlook, a strong connection with the professional world, and a commitment to academic quality for the twenty-first century.
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings), the world leader in networks for the Internet, transforms the way people get connected, communicate and collaborate. More information about Cisco at http://www.cisco.com or http://www.cisco.es
More news about Cisco: If you'd like to get Cisco press releases in Spanish, visit http://www.cisco.es/prensa. More information at http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco Systems International BV, a subsidiary of Cisco Systems, provides all the Cisco teams in Europe.
Follow Cisco España on Twitter:
Investor Relations Contacts
- John ChoiCisco Systems, Inc.+1 408 526 email@example.com