Carrier-class network technology plus industry standard storage and virtualization solution help accelerate enterprise IT data migration between data centers and to the cloud
LINTHICUM, Md. — 05/16/2012
Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings), the network specialist, today announced it will demonstrate its networking solutions at EMC World, May 21-24 in Las Vegas, in a simulated hybrid cloud environment to show how businesses can speed distribution of applications and data between data centers and to the cloud. Demonstrations will feature a variety of scenarios that prove how intelligent, scalable network connectivity, with minimal latency and dynamic performance, can enable providers to deliver IT as a flexible, efficient and reliable service.
Ciena will showcase the interworking of network and IT infrastructure between a simulated data center (Ciena booth #537) and provider cloud (Ciena’s Innovation Lab at booth #637), using Ciena’s 6500 Packet Optical Platform, EMC® VPLEX™ virtualization solutions and a Brocade® 5300 SAN Switch. Attendees will also get a glimpse of how businesses and service providers can benefit from a virtual “Data Center Without Walls,” innovative new cloud architecture from Ciena.
- Distributed virtual storage over a high-performance network— Ciena will demonstrate VPLEX Metro data access and mobility between VPLEX clusters that are located in the booth, which will serve a simulated data center, and the Innovation Lab, which will simulate the cloud. These two environments will be connected with Ciena’s reliable and resilient transport network, enabling VPLEX customers to use the full 5 millisecond VPLEX latency tolerance and connect over distances of up to 500 km.
- Live 100km VMware® vMotion—Ciena will simulate virtual machine (VM) migration in a live, 100km vMotion between two data centers. The data centers will be supported by an intelligent network that dynamically adjusts to the workload to mitigate impact on end users. A single network management solution will provide full visibility into the migration so that users can ensure consistent performance and availability.
- Real-time network and application performance management—Ciena will show how a flexible, intelligent, performance-on-demand network, coupled with a comprehensive network management solution, can provide enterprise IT with a single view into their service provider and IT infrastructure to quickly isolate and troubleshoot availability issues caused by storage, SAN or network events.
- May 21 at 10:00 a.m. PT: Ian Harris, System Integrators Leader, Ciena, will present on “Cloud Services – A Hitchhiker’s Guide to Their Delivery.” Harris will discuss how traditional service providers are evolving their service offerings to keep pace with market demand and to contend with a new generation of competition in this field. He will also address what this means for consumers of carrier-class cloud services in terms of cost efficiency, reliability and utility.
- May 23 at 10:00 a.m. PT: Jim Morin, Product Line Director, Managed Services & Enterprise, Ciena, and Deputy Commissioner at TechAmerica CLOUD2, will present on “Creating the Virtual Data Center Cloud.” Morin will profile several reference architectures that demonstrate how creating a dynamic, intelligent network between the enterprise and the cloud enables organizations to use their resources most efficiently.
- “The cloud is only as good as the network that supports it. The promise of a ‘Data Center Without Walls’ – built with a faster, smarter network – is that it will federate both enterprise customer data centers and multiple cloud provider data centers to create a more reliable, flexible and affordable shared resource pool for a wide variety of business needs. EMC World provides an excellent venue for us to show cloud service providers, carriers and enterprise IT users how they can benefit from seamless workflow movement using industry standard storage and virtualization solutions combined with our high-performance network technology.”
– Steve Alexander, senior vice president and chief technology officer at Ciena
- “Data center interconnectivity, and data center-to-cloud connectivity, benefit from a high-performance, high-bandwidth backbone network. Working with Ciena, we are able to offer our customers an intelligent solution that addresses the network and latency issues that could impact performance when moving workloads across the infrastructure.”
– Matt Waxman, senior director of product management, VPLEX and RecoverPoint Business Unit at EMC
- White Paper: Developing a Strategic Approach to Data Center Networking
- White Paper: Efficient Data Center Connectivity Over a Dynamic Intelligent Infrastructure
- Video: Cloud Computing and the Network
- Video: Cloud Computing and the Service Provider
- Chalk Talk: Evolution to the Cloud
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. With focused innovation, Ciena brings together the reliability and capacity of optical networking with the flexibility and economics of Ethernet, unified by services and software that delivers the industry’s leading network automation. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena’s actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 8, 2012. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena’s expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “should,” “will,” and “would” or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377
(888) 243 6223
+1 (214) 995-8035