Europe’s longest 100G network link supports intercontinental traffic between Monaco and London with market-leading coherent optics
LINTHICUM, Md. & LONDON–(BUSINESS WIRE)–
Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN – News), the network specialist, today announced it was selected by Cable&Wireless Worldwide (CWW) to build a European 100G coherent network using Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform with WaveLogic™ coherent optical processors. The next-generation network is an addition to CWW’s extensive footprint in Europe, which includes a 40G intercontinental network based on Ciena technologies.
- The longest 100G link in Europe deployed to date, it spans more than 2,800 km and connects London to Monaco with drop-off points in Milan, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf and Amsterdam – providing CWW with a flexible, high-capacity and future-proof infrastructure that can be adapted as requirements change over time.
- The 100G coherent network will support future growth in demand for capacity over Cable&Wireless Worldwide’s European network. A key driver for increased capacity requirements will be the Europe India Gateway (EIG), a submarine link between Western Europe and Mumbai, India, which is expected to carry backbone traffic to London, United Kingdom.
- The upgrade required no network infrastructure changes – Ciena’s technology enabled CWW to simply add the 100G wavelength alongside existing in-service 40G channels.
- The European 100G link is CWW’s first deployment of the advanced, high-performance optical transport technology and builds on a long-standing partnership with Ciena. CWW has been a customer for more than 15 years and deployed solutions spanning Ciena’s portfolio – including a global mesh network based on Ciena’s industry-leading optical control plane.
- “The explosive demand for capacity promises to continue as the number of public and private network connections increases for consumers and businesses and as these connections support bandwidth-intensive applications such as video and remote storage. Addressing this challenge requires a future-proof network that combines intelligence and high capacity – and that is where Ciena’s intelligent infrastructure comes in. A long-term Ciena partner, Cable&Wireless Worldwide is making a highly progressive move in Europe with the region’s longest coherent 100G link, which forms the basis for a resilient, scalable and flexible backbone network.”
– John Paul Hemingway, EMEA vice president of strategic development at Ciena
Technology Leadership and Product Background:
- Ciena’s WaveLogic coherent optical processors enable operators to maximize the reach, capacity and flexibility of networks by enabling seamless upgrades to 40G/100G. Using innovative coherent receiver, high speed analog to digital, and custom digital signal processing technology that integrate intelligence into the equipment, Ciena’s technology offers ease-of-deployment, cost efficiency and network investment protection.
- The pioneer and market leader of coherent optical technology, Ciena has shipped more than 14,000 coherent 40G/100G line interfaces to more than 100 customers across the globe.
Supporting Resources and Multimedia:
- Coherent Application Note: Coherent Optical Processing for High-Capacity Networks
- Data Sheet: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Video: What is Coherent Optical Networking?
- Blog: Proving That 100G is Real Today
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. With focused innovation, Ciena brings together the reliability and capacity of optical networking with the flexibility and economics of Ethernet, unified by services and software that delivers the industry’s leading network automation. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visitwww.ciena.com.
About Cable&Wireless Worldwide
With an unrivalled heritage and a globally significant network Cable&Wireless Worldwide can provide robust and resilient connectivity to over 150 countries.
To find out more, visit www.cw.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena’s actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 8, 2012. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena’s expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “should,” “will,” and “would” or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.