Cisco Selected by Germany's Largest Cable Operator for Upgraded Network Core
SAN JOSE, Calif., April 4, 2012 -- Cisco today announced that Kabel Deutschland (KD), Germany's largest cable operator, has selected Cisco CRS-3 Routers for its Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network core to meet the growing demand for video, and broadband services. Kabel Deutschland has approximately 8.7 million customers. The company operates cable networks in 13 German federal states and supplies its TV customers currently with about 100 digital, 32 analogue TV channels as well as 26 high definition (HD) programs.
The core network upgrade is driven by KD's desire to expand the capabilities of its current services and will lay the foundation for faster broadband speeds to meet ever-increasing consumer bandwidth requirements. Integral to supporting growth will be the deployment of the Cisco® CRS-3 Carrier Routing System for enhanced capacity, high resiliency and robust IPv6 support.
- Cisco provided a clear technology road map to meet KD's bandwidth requirements, including 100 Gigabit Ethernet, protecting its infrastructure investment and readying it for future products and services.
- KD broadband customers can already surf the Internet at speeds up to 100 mbps using DOCSIS 3.0 technology. The increased scale of the upgraded network will facilitate future services that will offer Internet speeds up to 1,000 mbps (1Gbps) in addition to video and voice services.
- The Cisco CRS-3, including the Cisco Network Positioning System, is designed to enable KD to optimize its network resources, reduce costs and provide a better application experience by integrating the IP NGN infrastructure with cloud computing services.
- The Cisco CRS-3 utilizes the modular Cisco IOS® XR software operating system, which simplifies network operations while enabling comprehensive system redundancy and network resiliency.
- Cisco predicts that the number of network-connected devices will be more than 15 billion, twice the world's population, by 2015. In the fifth annual Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast (2010-2015) released June 1, the company also said the total amount of global Internet traffic will quadruple by 2015 and reach 966 exabytes per year.
- Lorenz Glatz, chief technical officer, Kabel Deutschland
"The Cisco CRS-3 Platform enables Kabel Deutschland to scale its network in order to support the increasing bandwidth demand that a growing customer base and successful 100 mbps products require. With the CRS-3 Platform, Kabel Deutschland has made the first step to upgrade its national network towards 100 Gbps connections."
- Surya Panditi, senior vice president and general manager, core technology group, Cisco
"We are pleased that Kabel Deutschland has selected the Cisco Carrier Routing System to meet the demands of increasingly complex video and content-rich media transport. The CRS-3 complements Cisco's ASR 9000 Series which KD recently deployed, positioning KD to deliver a multitude of video and data services and manage the demands of visual networking."
- Kabel Deutschland
- Cisco CRS Carrier Routing System
- Cisco Carrier Ethernet Solutions
- Cisco Visual Networking Index Forecast Web Site
- Read the complete Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast, 2010-2015
- For more information about Cisco's service provider news and activities visit the SP360 Blog or follow us on Twitter @SP360
Cisco, Kabel Deutschland, KD, CRS, Carrier Routing System, CRS-3, Carrier Ethernet, Edge, Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network, IP NGN, Visual Networking Index Forecast, VNI, Surya Panditi
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
About Kabel Deutschland
Kabel Deutschland (KD), Germany's largest cable operator, offers its customers digital, high definition (HD) and analog TV, Pay TV and DVR offerings, Video-on-Demand, broadband Internet (up to 100.000 Kbit/s) and fixed-line Phone services via cable as well as mobile services in cooperation with an industry partner. The publicly listed company (MDAX, MSCI Europe, Stoxx 600 Europe) operates the cable networks in 13 German federal states and supplies its services to approximately 8.7 million connected households. As per end of fiscal year 2010/2011, Kabel Deutschland had approximately 2,800 employees. In fiscal year 2010/2011 (12 months ended March 31, 2011), the Company reported revenues of €1,599 million and an Adjusted EBITDA of €729 million.
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.