- Dell Deliver, a content delivery platform powered by EdgeCast software, Elemental video processing software and Dell hardware, allows service providers to develop content delivery networks quickly and at a low cost
- The solution, built on the powerful and efficient Dell PowerEdge 12th generation servers, enables customers to deliver content cost-effectively, globally and in formats required by all major end-user devices
- Dell Deliver is designed to reduce the amount of hardware and space required while using less power
ROUND ROCK, Texas–(BUSINESS WIRE)–
Dell today announced Dell Deliver, its first-ever Content Delivery Platform (CDP) that allows network providers to sell Content Delivery Network (CDN) services to the enterprise as well as manage the on-demand delivery of any video to any screen quickly, efficiently and at low cost. Offering network operators a new, easier path to CDN ownership, Dell Deliver is built on DellPowerEdge 12th generation servers and software from EdgeCast Networks and Elemental Technologies.
“Managing and maintaining a healthy IT infrastructure is getting more and more complicated for network operators as their infrastructures are not designed to support today’s growing demand for IP-based, bandwidth-hogging content,” said Laurie Hutto-Hill, general manager of Dell’s Global Telecommunications, Media & Entertainment organization. “Until now, few content delivery models have been optimized for rich media, and it is hard to find existing technologies equipped to analyze and deliver content efficiently based on the requirements of a multitude of end-user devices. Dell Deliver offers flexible and scalable technology with significant cost advantages, allowing network providers to establish a healthy CDN that can support today’s ever-changing data landscape.”
Dell Deliver is available with a number of deployment models and built with software from EdgeCast Networks, the CDN that delivers a substantial portion of the world’s Internet traffic on behalf of more than 4,000 content providers and Elemental Technologies, a supplier of video processing solutions for multiscreen content delivery. Dell Deliver allows network operators to launch their own CDN quickly and affordably, and allows them to concurrently offer a valuable new service to their enterprise customers and support their own video delivery initiatives.
The solution includes video processing software from Elemental Technologies that add additional cost and performance benefits to the customer. Elemental’s software leverages massively parallel NVIDIA graphics processing units (GPUs) and Intel processors to offer an extremely dense and highly cost-effective transcoding solution.
“Elemental is proud to work with Dell on its new Dell Deliver initiative for enhanced content delivery,” said Sam Blackman, CEO and co-founder of Elemental Technologies. “Leveraging Dell’s infrastructure expertise with best-of-breed software vendors like Elemental and EdgeCast will ensure a high value solution for service providers looking to deliver rich media as efficiently as possible.”
“Even once a carrier organization has recognized the opportunity CDN provides, they often expend incredible amounts of time and money evaluating myriad hardware and software scenarios,” said James Segil, co-founder and president of EdgeCast Networks. “The combination of Dell’s top-notch hardware, services and support with our CDN technology gives service providers a tightly integrated solution for quickly turning their traffic burdens into real revenue opportunities.”
Deployed on Dell PowerEdge 12th generation servers, Dell Deliver seamlessly integrates with existing storage infrastructure.
Key Features and Benefits:
The combination of EdgeCast Networks’ and Elemental Technologies’ software with Dell PowerEdge 12th generation servers, Dell Force10 networking and integration with tiered storage helps make Dell Deliver an extremely powerful, highly affordable solution for service providers seeking to manage the complexities of transitioning to fully owned and operated CDNs. Featuring streamlined provisioning and a variety of administration and management tools, Dell Deliver helps reduce maintenance and operation costs, while allowing thousands of global servers to be managed by any sized staff from one central location. Additional features and customer benefits include:
- Management: With the central management portal, customers can deploy, procure and monitor their CDN in one easy-to-use portal, allowing staff to manage resources without manual intervention. Additionally, the solution’s self-provisioning tool not only lets administrators easily separate usage statistics, reporting and internal billing, but also allows them to go out and sell these features to their customers. Dell Deliver’s Global Load Balancing feature allows administrators to better control resources, resulting in tighter control of traffic through load and uptime optimization. The solution’s use of proprietary tools allows for precise traffic routing, compared with legacy CDNs with less direct methods.
- Analytics: Dell Deliver’s multi-tier caching hierarchy provides automated analytics capabilities that can determine what content is more popular and store that content in locations where it is being consumed, minimizing traffic between delivery nodes. The solution’s ability to offer detailed historical and real-time insights regarding end-user location, behavior and experience lets administrators monitor site performance and availability to quickly fix errors before they become bigger problems. Additional monitoring and analysis features help improve performance, resulting in global coverage with maximum utilization of resources and high cache ratios.
- Optimized Video Processing: Dell’s work with Elemental Technologies allows Dell Deliver to offer further cost and performance benefits. The combination of massively parallel NVIDIA GPUs and Intel processors produce faster-than-real-time transcoding of professional grade content with a density far exceeding its nearest competitor.
- Advanced Security: Content is protected by a wide range of advanced security features and supports the leading digital rights management (DRM) solutions.
Dell, Dell Deliver, PowerEdge and Force10 are trademarks of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.