Next Generation of Ad Hoc Mobile Networking Delivers Voice, Video and Data Applications in a Single Platform for Use by First Responders, Military and Government Markets
SAN JOSE, Calif. – April 10, 2012 – Cisco today announced enhancements to its 5900 Series Embedded Services Router (ESR) product line, including the 5940 ESR and 5915 ESR, to bring improved performance and added features to the ruggedized routers. The updates expand the capabilities of Cisco® Mobile Ready Net solution architecture, establishing a scalable mobile network that connects organizational resources with a high degree of security to connect users how, when and where they need.
The Cisco 5900 Series ESRs are the next generation of mobile and embedded networking, adding flexibility for industrial, commercial, military, homeland security and emergency response applications in even the harshest environments. The product line incorporates Cisco IOS® Software with Cisco Mobile Ready Net capabilities to provide highly secure data, voice and video communications to stationary and mobile network nodes across both wired and wireless links. When combined with UHF, VHF, Wi-Fi and other radio platforms, these routers enable transparent roaming over multiple wireless networks, without requiring a connection to central infrastructure. The Cisco 5900 Series ESRs extend router functionality with security, link optimization and collaboration in one compact form factor.
Updates to Cisco 5900 Series ESRs include:
- IP Multiplexing, a satellite link optimization technology that improves bandwidth efficiency for customers using satellite links with packet-per-second constraints.
- Improved performance of up to 30 percent on Cisco 5940 ESR.
- WAAS Express, a cost-effective, transparent and easy-to-deploy WAN optimization solution that improves limited bandwidth link performance.
- Extended number of Call Manager Express end points for Cisco 5940 ESR to support larger teams of up to 150 individuals.
- Dynamic Link Exchange Protocol (DLEP), a link and route optimization technology, has been added to address the challenges faced when merging IP routing and radio frequency (RF) communications. DLEP is the latest protocol in the Radio Aware Routing (RAR) family.
- To demonstrate Cisco's commitment to improving product quality and security for all customers, Cisco 5940 ESR is Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS), Common Criteria, USGv6 and IPv6 Ready Logo certified.
- In cooperation with industry leading partners, Cisco now offers fully supported networking applications such as Cisco Unified Communications Manager (UCM) to support embedded deployments with the Cisco 5940 ESR. Cisco has verified UCM on both the Extreme Engineering Solutions XPedite7332 and the Emerson Network Power CPCI7203 single board computers. Both of these platforms have been certified by VMware and are included in the VMware Compatibility Guide.
- Together, the Cisco 5940 ESR and a single board computer running UCM create Advanced Networking Nodes from which mobile ad hoc networks can be built for military, public safety, energy, industrial, transportation and smart grid applications.
- In addition, Cisco 5940 ESR customers now have more choices with VMware vSphere®, which has been expanded to cover a broad range of embedded processors, I/O devices and servers.
- Tony Jeffs, director of marketing, Cisco Global Government Solutions Group, said: "The enhancements to the 5900 Series ESRs brings several critical features and performance improvements to the product line, enabling personnel to better communicate between vehicles and with distant command centers, as well as access information from remote cameras and sensors. These updates allow users to respond rapidly to changing data, to help save lives and increase effectiveness in harsh environments, such as those subject to power surges and extreme weather."
- Greg Giaquinto, senior aerospace / defense analyst, Forecast International, said: "Cisco has executed numerous updates to the Cisco 5900 Series ESRs, indicating the company's commitment to meeting the demanding needs of heavy industrial, public safety, transportation and defense markets. Cisco believes government agencies and commercial organizations will leverage these solutions to optimize collaboration between vehicles and rapidly moving tactical teams."
Availability & Pricing:
- The Cisco 5915 and 5940 Embedded Services Routers are available now.
- Pricing is dependent on configuration.
- Cisco 5940 ESR: $19,995 with additional discounts for large quantity purchases
- 100-499 units = $17,995 each
- 500+ units = $15,495 each
- Cisco 5915 ESR: $3,990 for Hardware with $2,000 for optional Advanced Enterprise Services IOS
- For more information about the Cisco 5940 or 5915 Embedded Services Routers, visit http://www.cisco.com/go/5900, or contact your local Cisco account representative.
Social Media Destinations
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
VMware and VMware vSphere are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. The use of the word "partner" or "partnership" does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company.
- Cara Ann SlomanCisco Systems, Inc.831 firstname.lastname@example.org
Industry Analyst Relations
- Andrew LachCisco408email@example.com