Enhanced user interface and new advanced features deliver next-generation viewing experience
Montreal, Quebec – March 27, 2012 – Videotron, a leading Canadian telecommunications operator providing communications and broadband entertainment services, announced today it has chosen Cisco’s HD set-top box platform to deploy the next generation of its enhanced illico digital TV service.
Videotron will use the Cisco Explorer® 8642 HD-DVR and 4642 HD set-top boxes to deliver a best-in-class enhanced entertainment experience. Available in the province of Quebec, illico TV New Generation offers a new customer experience including advanced video services and faster navigation.
- illico TV New Generation subscribers can use their remotes to access interactive entertainment and information embedded in particular programs, such as music, weather, local information, voting and polling, and other services. Subscribers may also benefit from Digital Video Recorder (DVR) functionality, Video-on-Demand, Electronic Program Guide, Pay-Per-View, Caller ID, Weather, and the ability to choose tailor-made entertainment packages.
- The Cisco 8642 HD-DVR optimizes Videotron’s existing Cisco-powered cable head-end infrastructure and DOCSIS® network to give consumers greater access to broader video and entertainment experiences including broadcast television and video-on-demand.
- The Cisco Explorer 4642 HD and 8642 HD-DVR set-top boxes give service providers the opportunity to:
- Advance their video service plans by integrating the quality of high-definition video, digital video recording, and new service application features.
- Offer consumer innovative features such as a 500-gigabyte DVR hard disc drive that supports up to 280 hours of standard-definition and up to 55 hours of high-definition programming, hybrid video service support, open standard support, multiple tuner support as well as USB 2.0 and Ethernet connectivity.
- Qualified to meet ENERGY STAR® Tier 1 strict energy-efficiency guidelines, the Cisco 8642 HD-DVR requires less than 1 watt of power consumption in standby mode, and is capable of ‘light sleep’ mode.
Pierre Roy, vice president, Engineering, Research and Development, Videotron:
“The latest generation of Cisco Explorer set-top boxes supports the Tru2way open standard allowing us to offer a tailored customer experience to a broader audience. The Cisco Explorer set-top boxes help us to differentiate our innovative service and applications while retaining our market leadership.”
Mark Kummer, vice president, Service Provider Operations, Cisco Canada:
“Videotron is a leader in bringing the capabilities and convenience of HD and DVR services to Canada, and Cisco is proud to help further the company’s vision. With illico TV New Generation, Videotron can continue to advance its video strategy by utilizing its head-end and DOCSIS fibre optic networks combined with Cisco’s set-top technology to deliver best-in-class video entertainment experiences on air, online, on demand.”
Videotron, a wholly owned subsidiary of Quebecor Media Inc., is an integrated communications company engaged in cable television, interactive multimedia development, and Internet access, cable telephone and mobile telephone services. Videotron is a leader in new technologies with its interactive Digital TV service and its broadband network, which supports high-speed cable Internet access, analog and digital cable television, and other services.
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Cisco Canada Co., a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco, has offices across Canada dedicated to customer support, sales and service. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com/canada/.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco’s trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. DOCSIS is a registered trademarks of Cable Television Laboratories, Inc. Other third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
# # #
Cisco, the Cisco logo, Cisco Systems are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
- Karin ScottCisco Systems, Inc.+1 416 306 email@example.com