LOS ANGELES, CA–(Marketwire – Mar 5, 2012) – Juniper Networks (NASDAQ:JNPR, news, filings), the industry leader in network innovation, and Nokia Siemens Networks today announced the launch of the ‘Integrated Packet Transport Network’ solution, comprised of the Juniper Networks® PTX Packet Transport Switches and the Nokia Siemens Networks hiT 7300 high capacity optical packet transport platform. This announcement was made at the annual OFC/NFOEC Conference, taking place March 4-8.
The solution addresses the need of service providers to simplify the network architecture by integrating multiple layers into a simple, scalable design that improves the economics of the core network infrastructure. Through the use of standardized data and control interfaces, the inherent efficiency of MPLS is combined with the scalability of the transport layer to deliver unmatched network scale and flexibility, with fewer network elements.
- Juniper Networks will showcase the PTX 100G LH transponders at the OFC conference. These Integrated transponders interworking with the hiT7300 platform are designed to reduce the amount of hardware needed in the network and hence lower both capital and operational costs.
- The planned feature set includes: network management integration, including service provisioning, optical transport control plane integration based on GMPLS and UNI+, end-to-end network planning for guaranteed performance and SLAs, and L0-L3 multi-layer optimization.
- The solution is designed to have data, management and control plane integration between the IP/MPLS and DWDM layers, allowing operators to simplify their network and have a tighter connection between IP/MPLS and the photonic network.
- Operators will benefit from a significant reduction in operating and capital expenses, as well as a reduction in complexity and risk in the network, while enhancing resiliency and automation of network operations.
- The packet layer of the solution is based on Juniper Networks PTX Series Packet Transport Switches, a portfolio of high-performance platforms that delivers powerful capabilities based on innovative silicon and forwarding architecture optimized for MPLS and Ethernet. The PTX Series is a Label Switched Router for the service provider supercore optimized for capacity and efficiency.
- Nokia Siemens Networks hiT 7300 at the optical layer, is a proven, flexible and cost-efficient 96-channel optical packet transport platform that is optimized for high-capacity transport in multi-haul networks. It is designed and optimized for bit rates from 2.5Gbit/s to 100Gbit/s per wavelength, and is 400Gbit/s ready.
“The new solution fits perfectly into our Liquid Net approach. Networks need to transform to be able to cope with unpredictability and ever increasing capacity demand. The ‘Integrated Packet Transport Network’ solution will give operators more flexibility in their transport networks, while at the same time optimizing total cost of ownership.”
– Uwe Fischer, head of optical networks product management, Nokia Siemens Networks
“To improve the economics of core network provisioning, service providers must reduce infrastructure and operating costs while improving the efficiency of service delivery and the user experience. Service providers measure success on building and implementing a more effective operating model for their core transport networks, which is the very foundation of our new packet-transport solution with Nokia Siemens Networks.”
– Daniel Hua, senior vice president of engineering, Juniper Networks
About Nokia Siemens Networks
Nokia Siemens Networks is the world’s specialist in mobile broadband. From the first ever call on GSM, to the first call on LTE, we operate at the forefront of each generation of mobile technology. Our global experts invent the new capabilities our customers need in their networks. We provide the world’s most efficient mobile networks, the intelligence to maximize the value of those networks, and the services to make it all work seamlessly.
With headquarters in Espoo, Finland, we operate in over 150 countries and had net sales of over 14 billion euros in 2011. http://www.nokiasiemensnetworks.com
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks is in the business of network innovation. From devices to data centers, from consumers to cloud providers, Juniper Networks delivers the software, silicon and systems that transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net).
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logos are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners. All Juniper Networks product related information and comparisons are based on internal testing results, publicly available information regarding competitive offerings and in some cases, industry standards.