Frontier Communications Capitalizing on BTI’s Application-Aware Capabilities to Enhance the Customer Experience While Reducing Network Congestion by up to 24%
OTTAWA and BOSTON – March 28, 2012
BTI Systems, the global leader redefining service delivery for metro network operators, today announced that Frontier Communications is using its comprehensive application-aware service delivery product suite to accommodate rapid growth in high-demand services such as over-the-top (OTT) video, while substantially reducing network operation and management costs.
With more than 350 customers around the world, BTI provides the industry’s first Integrated Services Delivery Platform for metro networks, uniquely combining dynamically scalable packet optical capacity with application-aware intelligence and end-to-end service visibility to address today’s business challenges and build a foundation for future opportunities.
Frontier Communications, the nation’s largest provider of communications services focused on rural America, is deploying the complete suite of BTI products, including WideCast, for application-aware networking. Video represents half of Frontier’s traffic and the BTI product suite enables Frontier to overcome network congestion, deliver up to 24% in bandwidth savings and generate a solid return on investment of less than a year.
“As Frontier continues to enhance its network management capabilities, we want partners who will proactively help us meet our critical goals,” said Michael Golob, Senior Vice President, Engineering and Technology for Frontier. “BTI’s applications are providing vital support as we rapidly expand HSI broadband and Ethernet services across our footprint. BTI is helping us to optimize our bandwidth and address customer requirements with an intelligent solutions approach.”
Managing the content and using bandwidth to ensure a superlative consumer experience is simplified with BTI’s application-aware product suite. For example, by intelligently and transparently caching popular video content closer to subscribers, Frontier is improving content delivery speeds by more than 10% and providing customers with a better viewing experience, while reducing Frontier’s network bandwidth requirements.
Unprecedented Network Demands Require New Solutions
Frontier’s situation is not unique. With global IP traffic increasing eightfold in just the past five years, content and service providers are struggling to deal with significantly increased bandwidth demands in the most capital-efficient manner to contain network expansion and operating costs. This explosion in network traffic is fueled by market dynamics that include:
- Worldwide subscriber spending for online video soaring to $3.5 billion in 2011 (Strategy Analytics)
- Netflix consuming up to 30% of the Internet’s bandwidth at peak hours (Sandvine)
- 1 billion consumers owning smartphones by 2016, with mobile spending reaching $1.3 trillion by 2016 (Forrester Research)
- 1.8 billion broadband subscribers worldwide by 2014 (Infonetics Research)
- The global cloud services market is anticipated to triple in size over the next four years with a compound annual growth rate of 29.4% to reach revenues of $66 billion in 2016 (Ovum)
As a result, more capacity is required at the metro, or edge, of these networks. Traditionally, metro network operators have been saddled with a complex mixture of equipment and management systems as they move to add capacity, provision new services or troubleshoot problems across disparate technologies. This complexity results in a costly, time-consuming and resource-intensive process just as service and content providers are aggressively competing for business and consumer subscribers.
The Industry’s Only Integrated Services Delivery Platform for Metro Networks
BTI is partnering with metro network operators to transform service delivery by offering solutions built on an integrated platform that converges service layers, unifies operations and management functions, and pushes intelligence further out into the network. This approach enables providers to greatly reduce capital equipment and operating expenses, while optimizing bandwidth and accelerating the delivery of rich, high-value services to their subscribers.
“Demand for video is growing exponentially – whether subscribers are creating and uploading their own content or using over-the-top services such as Apple, Pandora and Xbox,” said Steve Waszak, President and CEO of BTI Systems. “Market leaders like Frontier want game-changing innovation for their networks, so they can continue to provide a great experience to customers. As the only company to integrate application-aware intelligence and end-to-end service visibility within its dynamically scalable packet optical solutions, BTI’s metro service infrastructure solutions are a great example of field-proven innovation and we welcome the opportunity to team with Frontier.”
BTI’s Integrated Services Delivery Platform includes:
- Converged packet optical networking, combining optical and Ethernet service layers to create simpler, more dynamically scalable networks with fewer layers, less equipment and unified management. This approach represents up to one-tenth the cost per megabit of legacy network solutions.
- Service-centric management, providing comprehensive management capabilities that accelerate time-to-market and optimize service availability by streamlining provisioning and troubleshooting, delivering end-to-end visibility into services and subscribers, and enabling integration with external Operating Support Systems and Business Support Systems.
- Application-aware intelligence software, enabling metro network operators to analyze, monitor and control services based on content or application type. By classifying bandwidth-intensive content and caching close to the user, more effective use of network resources is achieved, subscriber Quality of Experience is optimized and value-added or tiered service offerings can be accompanied by guaranteed Service Level Agreements (SLA). Application-aware solutions increase download speeds by up to 10 times and deliver bandwidth savings of 20% or more.
About Frontier Communications
Frontier Communications Corporation (NYSE:FTR, news, filings) offers voice, High-Speed Internet, satellite video, wireless Internet data access, data security solutions, bundled offerings, specialized bundles for small businesses and home offices, and advanced business communications for medium and large businesses in 27 states and with approximately 15,400 employees based entirely in the United States. More information is available atwww.frontier.com and www.frontier.com/ir.
CHEN PR, Inc.
All product and company names herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.
About BTI Systems
BTI Systems is the innovative networking company that creates high-capacity, application-aware service infrastructure for metropolitan networks. With an integrated suite of packet optical networking, application intelligence software and service-centric management products, BTI enables service and content providers to scale capacity and profitably deliver a mix of high-value applications, services and content to subscribers and businesses around the globe. More than 350 customers rely on BTI to monetize, accelerate and simplify service delivery. Headquartered in North America, BTI operates regional sales, marketing and R&D centers of excellence throughout the world. For more information, visit www.btisystems.com.