New Platform will allow TELUS to expand Optik TV service beyond the home, reinventing the television experience
SAN JOSE, Calif. and VANCOUVER, B.C – February 7, 2012 –Cisco and TELUS today announced TELUS has deployed key components of the Cisco Videoscape™ platform in order to extend its successful Optik TV services to mobile devices through its ‘Optik on the go' offering. Cisco Videoscape is a comprehensive TV platform allowing service providers and media companies to extend content across devices and networks to create a new, truly immersive home and mobile television experience. Videoscape utilizes the cloud, network, and client devices together to deliver new, high-quality video experiences over the Internet.
Through the use of Cisco Videoscape, TELUS is differentiating its consumer video experience in an increasingly competitive market, while simultaneously extending opportunities for revenue generation to its growing customer base of Optik services subscribers and TELUS wireless subscribers in Alberta and British Columbia.
"Our vision for Optik on the go is to offer customers a simple, straightforward way to view Optik TV content across any number of mobile screens or devices," said David Fuller, chief marketing officer, TELUS. "With Cisco Videoscape we can now mobile-enable content and offer customers an innovative, world-class TV experience – at home and on the go."
With Videoscape, TELUS will offer Optik customers in Alberta and British Columbia a unique TV experience, allowing them to take their TV service with them on the go. TELUS has employed Cisco's technology and service delivery expertise in managing synergies between the cloud, network and client devices, to launch a fully hosted video content management platform to increase service velocity.
"Service providers like TELUS are well-positioned to do for the TV experience what the mobile Internet did for the cellphone – allow anywhere, anytime access," said Pankaj Patel, senior vice president, Engineering and general manager, Cisco Service Provider Business. "Today's consumers want a personalized video experience, regardless of location or device. With Cisco Videoscape technology powering ‘Optik on the go', TELUS further enhances their premium video customer experience."
- Launched in June, 2010, Optik TV is powered by TELUS' innovative and market leading fibre-optic network. Optik TV offers innovative functionality features such as PVR Anywhere, and more than 500 channels, including more than 100 in high definition. Cisco Videoscape will allow TELUS to deliver a consistent Optik TV experience across a diverse set of mobile devices.
- Videoscape elements TELUS is deploying:
- Cisco Videoscape Media Suite, a cloud-based service that offers full life-cycle content management so that service providers can efficiently and cost-effectively manage and publish content across multiple screens.
- Cisco Videoscape Clients, software clients that extend the Videoscape experiences to a wide variety of home and mobile devices.
- Cisco Advanced Services provided the design and application development expertise, bringing together interdependent cloud, network and client components into a single integrated solution.
- TELUS and Optik TV
- Video: TELUS Launches Optik TV on the go with Cisco
- Cisco Videoscape
- Cisco Cloud Index
- Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast for 2010 to 2015
- History and Future of Television
- Cisco Service Provider blog: SP360
Cisco, cloud, Internet video, IP, IP video, network, online video, streaming video, Video, Videoscape, Videoscape Media Suite, Videoscape Soft Client, TELUS, Optik, Optik TV
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
TELUS (TSX: T, T.A; NYSE: TU) is a leading national telecommunications company in Canada, with $10.3 billion of annual revenue and 12.6 million customer connections including 7.2 million wireless subscribers, 3.6 million wireline network access lines, 1.3 million Internet subscribers and more than 450,000 TELUS TV customers. Led since 2000 by President and CEO, Darren Entwistle, TELUS provides a wide range of communications products and services including data, Internet protocol (IP), voice, entertainment and video.
In support of our philosophy to give where we live, TELUS, our team members and retirees have contributed $245 million to charitable and not-for-profit organizations and volunteered 4.1 million hours of service to local communities since 2000. Eleven TELUS Community Boards across Canada lead TELUS' local philanthropic initiatives. TELUS was honoured to be named the most outstanding philanthropic corporation globally for 2010 by the Association of Fundraising Professionals, becoming the first Canadian company to receive this prestigious international recognition.
For more information about TELUS, please visit telus.com.
Cisco, (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings), the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go tohttp://newsroom.cisco.com.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
TELUS, the TELUS logo, and Optik are trademarks of TELUS Corporation, used under licence.
# # #