WAYNESBORO, VA – nTelos Wireless announced today that it is now offering its Blackberry Bold 9650 without a camera in response to requests by military personnel to offer a smartphone that can be used on bases.
The Virginia-based wireless provider, known for providing high-speed, dependable nationwide coverage and the best network satisfaction guarantee in the industry, is offering the no-camera smartphone exclusive to the Hampton Roads market, which has the largest concentration of military bases and facilities of any metropolitan area in the world. Nearly one-fourth of the nation’s active-duty military personnel are stationed in Hampton Roads.
“When you are a locally based company, you sometimes have the ability to meet local needs that the others can’t,” said Conrad Hunter, chief operating officer of nTelos Wireless. “Several military personnel came to us and said that rules and regulations prohibit smartphones with cameras on military bases. We took their request seriously and worked with the manufacturer to come up with a solution.”
nTelos Wireless has 11 retail stores throughout Hampton, Newport News, Virginia Beach, Norfolk and Suffolk. Each will offer the no-camera Blackberry Bold to any customer, but military personnel will receive a 15 percent discount off the price.
About the BlackBerry Bold 9650
The BlackBerry Bold 9650 smartphone works on nTelos Wireless’ 3G (EVDO) network and has a full-QWERTY keyboard, optical trackpad and built-in Wi-Fi® (802.11 b/g), which makes it possible to talk on the phone while browsing the web or sending and receiving email. The BlackBerry Bold also includes 512 MB Flash memory and an expandable memory card slot that supports up to 32 GB microSDHC cards, with a 2 GB card included.
The Bold provides premium phone and multimedia features, it delivers the industry’s leading mobile solution for email, messaging (IM, SMS, MMS) and social networking.
Other key features of the BlackBerry Bold 9650 smartphone include:
- Stylish design (4.4” x 2.4” x .56” and 4.8 oz.) with glossy black finish and chrome highlights
- Large (2.44”) high-resolution display (480 x 360 resolution at 245 ppi), able to display pictures, videos and web pages with impressive contrast and detail
- Advanced media player for videos, pictures and music, a 3.5 mm stereo headset jack and support for the Bluetooth® Stereo Audio Profile (A2DP/AVCRP)
- BlackBerry® Media Sync for easily syncing photos as well as iTunes® and Windows Media® Player music with the smartphone*
- Easy mobile access to Facebook®, MySpace and Flickr®, as well as popular instant messaging services including BlackBerry® Messenger
- Support for BlackBerry App World, featuring a broad and growing catalog of thirdparty mobile applications developed specifically for BlackBerry smartphones
- Full HTML web browser, streaming audio and video via RTSP
- Built-in GPS with support for geotagging, BlackBerry® Maps and other mapping applications
- Premium phone features including voice activated dialing, speakerphone, and Bluetooth (2.1).
- Support for high-speed EV-DO
- Removable and rechargeable 1400 mAhr battery for 5 hours of CDMA talk time
NTELOS Holdings Corp. (NASDAQ:NTLS, news, filings), operating through its subsidiaries as “nTelos Wireless,” is headquartered in Waynesboro, VA, and provides high-speed, dependable nationwide voice and data coverage for over 400,000 retail subscribers based in Virginia, West Virginia and portions of Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Kentucky. nTelos’s licensed territories have a total population of approximately 8 million residents, of which its wireless network covers approximately 5.8 million residents. nTelos is also the exclusive wholesale provider of network services to Sprint Nextel in the western Virginia and West Virginia portions of its territories for all Sprint CDMA wireless customers. Additional information about NTELOS is available at www.ntelos.com or www.facebook.com/nteloswireless and www.twitter.com/#!/ntelos_wireless.