Network carrier is region’s first to deploy OTN switching, directionless ROADM technology
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and LINTHICUM, Md., U.S.A — 02/27/2012
Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings), the network specialist, today announced that Fibrecomm Network (M) Sdn. Bhd., Malaysia’s leading network carrier, is expanding its network infrastructure using an intelligent Ciena solution featuring advanced optical technologies that include 40G, OTN switching and directionless ROADMs. Deployment began in December and already includes several live network segments.
- Fibrecomm offers a focused range of connectivity and application services designed to cater the needs of service providers, including wavelength, bandwidth, IP, Ethernet and colocation and project management and consultancy services. Fibrecomm’s backbone network expansion, spans across Peninsula Malaysia and East Malaysia – Sabah to connect the northern and southern portions of the network.
- With this network expansion, Fibrecomm becomes the first network operator in Southeast Asia to integrate Optical Transport Network (OTN) switching and directionless ROADM technology into its core long haul network infrastructure.
- These advanced optical technologies, combined with Ciena’s WaveLogic™ coherent technology, add significant bandwidth scalability, reliability and intelligence to Fibrecomm’s network infrastructure, allowing the carrier to rapidly offer 40G, OTN switching, and – in the near future – 100G-based services.
- Fibrecomm is deploying Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, which integrates advanced coherent optics, automated OTN, packet and SONET/SDH switching, control plane, and unified network management to help network operators scale, manage, and differentiate services. Fibrecomm will also deploy the 6100 Multiservice Optical Platform for aggregation of lower speed SDH traffic.
- By deploying Ciena’s 40G solution using WaveLogic coherent technology, Fibrecomm is able to cost-effectively add significant network capacity without the need for a major network redesign, while ensuring the ability to seamlessly add 100G wavelengths to the network to meet future bandwidth demands.
- Intelligence in Ciena’s WaveLogic chipset greatly simplifies coherent deployments, allowing Fibrecomm to deploy the 40G solution without the requirement for fiber characterization or network reengineering.
- Project rollout and deployment of this network enhancement is jointly managed by Fibrecomm and Formis, a regional Ciena BizConnect partner based in Malaysia.
- “Malaysia is experiencing a growing demand for capacity, driven by the rapid evolution of information and communication technology. Fibrecomm selected Ciena’s advanced optical technologies because they provide a more reliable and agile network infrastructure that can meet our customers’ needs where 10G is barely enough to fulfill the continuous demand. With Ciena’s proven platform that is scalable to multiple 10G/40G, even 100G, we are well equipped to stand apart from our competition.”
– Ang Meng Hee, Chief Executive Officer, Fibrecomm Network (M) Sdn Bhd
- “Fibrecomm has been a long-term customer of Formis and we are honoured to be entrusted with the responsibility to implement this multi-year project. We are glad that Ciena emerged as Fibrecomm’s technology vendor of choice after a rigorous selection process.”
– Robin Lim, Executive Director, Formis
- “Our close cooperation with Formis to expand Fibrecomm’s network highlights the significant potential in the Malaysian market, which is estimated to have strong growth in total broadband connections over the next few years. Ciena’s Intelligent Packet-Optical solutions give Fibrecomm additional capacity and the ability to scale to meet their customer needs.”
– Anthony McLachlan, Vice President and General Manager, Asia Pacific, Ciena
Technology Leadership and Product Background:
- OTN is a next-generation industry-standard network protocol that provides for the efficient transport of multiple types of legacy, real-time and Ethernet traffic over a converged optical network. Ciena has integrated intelligent OTN switching capabilities across its portfolio, including the 5400, 6500 and 4200 product families.
- The directionless ROADM capabilities in Ciena’s 6500 platform enable a more flexible and responsive network architecture. Directionless ROADMs allow network operators to remotely direct and redirect wavelengths along any path in the network, enabling cost effective, fast network restoration during link failures and better allocation of network resources.
- The pioneer and market leader in coherent technology for optical transmission, Ciena offered the industry’s first commercially-available systems – with coherent 40G deployed since 2008 and coherent 100G since 2009 – and has shipped in excess of 10,000 coherent 40G/100G line interfaces to approximately 100 customers across the globe with more than nine million coherent kilometers deployed.
Supporting Resources and Multimedia:
- Product Overview: Ciena 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Infographic: Optical Transport Network
- White Paper: Addressing Network Uncertainty with an Intelligent Infrastructure
- Application Note: Coherent Optical Processing for High-Capacity Networks
- Video: Coherent Optical Processing
- Video: What is OTN?
Fibrecomm is a network carrier and our core business is in the provision of telecommunication network services. We vision ourselves to be the network carrier of choice in Malaysia and in the region. Our full suite of offerings are well positioned to address the critical needs of service providers – reliable network performance, short time-to-market, cost effective solution and excellent customer service.
Fibrecomm offers a focused range of connectivity and application services designed to cater the needs of service providers, which include wavelength, bandwidth, IP, Ethernet and Co-location and project management and consultancy services. To-date, our Peninsular-wide fibre optics backbone network spans over 100,000 fibre kilometers, forming a unique transport and access network to provide seamless intercity and cross border connectivity for global market solution. Fibrecomm is poised to become the premier regional telecommunications hub. For more information, visit www.fibrecomm.net.my.
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. With focused innovation, Ciena brings together the reliability and capacity of optical networking with the flexibility and economics of Ethernet, unified by a software suite that delivers the industry’s leading network automation. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena’s actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-K, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on December 22, 2011. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena’s expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “should,” “will,” and “would” or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377
+1 (214) 995-8035
Fibrecomm Network (M) Sdn Bhd
+6 (03) 2246 8418