New Networked Cloud Video Technology Helps Service Providers Accelerate Services to Any Screen
CES, Las Vegas – January 10, 2012 – Cisco announced today that Cisco Videoscape™ the company’s comprehensive TV platform forservice providers that brings together digital TV and online video content with social media and communications applications, will now help enable new “video in the cloud” services that will drive new revenue streams for service providers ─ and exciting new video entertainment experiences for consumers. Cisco also announced that several major video service providers, including Rogers Communications of Canada, YES of Israel and Numéricable of France, have selected Videoscape to deliver their next-generation video services.
At CES 2012 this week, Cisco is unveiling several new Videoscape products that will power “video in the cloud” experiences for consumers, offering a consistent look-and-feel across devices, no matter where they are. With this new technology, service providers can offer complete “Any Screen TV” capabilities that deliver live video and on-demand video experiences not only to PCs and Macs, but also across iPads, iPhones, and Android devices.
More content is being stored in the cloud rather than on home devices. Service providers are evaluating waysto send live linear (traditional) and cloud-based, on-demand programming channels to a range of managed and unmanaged IP devices in and out of the home. These include IP set-top boxes, personal computers (PCs), laptops, tablets, gaming consoles, smartphones and Internet-connected TVs. Videoscape is uniquely designed as an open software-based platform that provides a migration path to an all IP-based video infrastructure, with cloud, network and client components working together to allow video experiences to move, pause and resume across all of these devices.
New Client Technologies
- Videoscape Multiscreen Gateway family. The Cisco 9800 Series is the first in a new family of multiscreen gateway products. Featuring six tuners that allow consumers to watch and record six video streams at once, it delivers live, recorded and on-demand content – including standard, high-definition and 3DTV – to multiple screens within the home via traditional quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM) -based set-tops and pure IP set-tops. It is also a flexible platform that can support cable, wireless and satellite service provider needs.
- Videoscape Voyager Vantage is a software platform, connecting set-tops to the cloud, that gives service providers what they need to deploy rich user interfaces (UIs) and EPGs, provide extensive video on-demand catalogs, and integrate new applications for social media, Internet video, content sharing and more.
New Videoscape Cloud components (built on the Cisco Unified Cloud Services platform) include:
- Videoscape Voyager Virtual – A new cloud-rendered user interfacethatdelivers IP video to legacy MPEG-2 set-top boxes and helps to enable new social media applications, e-commerce, gaming, cloud-driven electronic programming guides (EPGs), video place shifting and remote user interfaces.
- Cisco Conductor back-officetechnology (for QAM Video) allows service providers to roll out differentiated video services faster and more efficiently through comprehensive video control plane and service management capabilities across networks and devices.
- The Cisco Media Processor and Transcode Manager advance service providers’ capabilities to deliver video content to second and third screens through expanded video format support such as adaptive bit rate (ABR)technologies (that optimize delivery of services to each screen for the best possible quality of experience).
- Videoscape Content Delivery Network (CDN) Analytics deliver advanced reporting so that service providers can gather and view more in-depth information from their Cisco Content Delivery System (CDS) or third-party CDN deployment, and analyze network performance in real-time.
- Jesper Andersen, SVP and GM, Service Provider Video Technology Group, Cisco
“Cisco offers the most comprehensive networked video solutions available to service providers. We have spent the last year refining and advancing our Videoscape platform with new capabilities that will support our customers’ biggest challenges. Only Videoscape offers the combined power of the network, cloud and client to help service providers accelerate time to market with new multiscreen video services. With our new cloud components in play, we are confident we can help our customers open new programming distribution channels and advertising possibilities to drive new revenue.”
- Greg Ireland, research manager, IDC, Consumer Video
“Service providers are looking for ways to bridge the gaps to IP and cloud migration and offer consumers quality video experiences that follow them anywhere. Cisco’s Videoscape brings an array of capabilities to the table, allowing service providers an opportunity to leverage some or all of its features to enable compelling experiences across multiple screens.”
- About Videoscape: http://www.cisco.com/go/videoscape
- Cisco Global Cloud Index
- Cisco Service Provider blog: SP360: http://blogs.cisco.com/sp
- Follow Cisco CES news and activities on Twitter: #Videoscape
Additional Cisco news at CES:
- YES Teams with Cisco to Enhance Its TV Services
- Numéricable to Offer Multi-screen Video Experiences in France based on Cisco Videoscape
Cisco Speakers at CES
- George Tupy, marketing solutions manager, Cisco Service Provider Video Technology Group: “The NexGen Entertainment Home Experience — From the Smart and Connected TV to the PVR, Set-Top and PC Experience”, Wednesday, January 11, 10:30 am – 11:30 am PST, LVCC North Hall, Room N261
- Sachin Sathaye, senior marketing manager, Cisco Service Provider Video Technology Group:“Video Everywhere – Technologies and Platforms – Enabling the Next Generation of Over-the-Top TV”, Wednesday, January 11, 3:00 – 4:00 pm PST, LVCC North Hall, Room N261
- Padmasree Warrior, Cisco’s senior vice president of engineering and chief technology officer:Women in Tech, Wednesday, January 11, 5:00 – 6:00 pm PST, CNET Stage, LVCC South Hall
- Marthin De Beer, senior vice president of Cisco’s Video and Collaboration Group: Getting Us Back on Track: How Technology and Innovation Can Save America (#4374), Thursday, January 12, 10:30 am – 11:30 am PST, LVCC North Hall, Room N264
Cisco, Any Screen TV, IP, IP video, Jesper Andersen, Marthin De Beer, multi-screen, network, networked-video, Padmasree Warrior, Numericable, online video, Rogers, streaming video, video, Videoscape, service provider, Service Provider Video Technology Group, TV Everywhere, YES
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go tohttp://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco’s trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.