Trial Marks First Successful Completion of a 100G Test With Cisco DWDM Technology for a More Powerful and Efficient Network and Maximum Return on Investment
SAN JOSE, CA--(Marketwire -11/17/11)- Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO -News) and US Signal, a leading provider of regional transport, data center and Internet Protocol (IP) services, today announced the successful completion of the first 100 Gigabit (100G) coherent dense wavelength division multiplexing (DWDM) trial based on the industry-leading performance of the Cisco ONS 15454 Multiservice Transport Platform (MSTP) system.
The 100G coherent trial was performed over an in-service 10G-engineered network between Chicago, Ill. and Kalamazoo, Mich. The successful trial confirmed that US Signal will deploy in-service, 100G coherent technology on networks originally designed for 10G transmission without any re-engineering, thereby extending the value and return on investment of the company's existing fiber network. This is analogous to a rail operator being able to deploy high-speed services merely by purchasing faster rail cars and without the need to upgrade the track infrastructure as is typically required. With customers' increasing demand for intuitive, faster and more efficient networks to help them deliver next-generation services, such as data center virtualization, Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IAAS) and Business Process Management (BPM), US Signal needed a next-generation 100G network to accommodate explosive high-bandwidth traffic growth. To address this, the company is also leveraging the Cisco Aggregation Services Router (ASR) 9000, Cisco Nexus 5000 Series Switches and the Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS) to scale its IP backbone and service capability.
- Internet Protocol backbones use high-speed fiber optics to connect the major routers across the Internet, enabling different networks to talk to each other. 100G rates are needed for these backbones to accommodate the explosion in video and data traffic and to enable service providers to deliver a new generation of video and multimedia services to their customers. As Cisco stated in its recent Visual Networking Index, IP traffic growth is expected to increase four-fold to 966 Exabytes a year by 2015.
- The positive results of this trial, which employed the industry's highest optical performance and density 100G solution, has motivated US Signal to enable its 12,200 miles of fiber for 100G services in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri and Wisconsin. When completed, US Signal will enable its largest high-bandwidth customers, including cable operators and wireless telecommunication carriers, to deliver new and enhanced services with higher speeds and lower latency.
- Cisco has delivered the industry's leading 100G coherent optical solution through key innovations acquired with its 2010 purchase of CoreOptics. As a result, service providers can deliver cost-effective ultra long-haul transport solutions while re-using existing fiber plants.
- The Cisco ONS 15454 MSTP is a leading Packet Optical Transport System (P-OTS) that allows network operators to deploy DWDM, Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) and Ethernet on a single platform. The Cisco ONS 15454 is the industry's most widely deployed ROADM.
- Dan Olrich, chief operating officer, US Signal
"We have utilized Cisco technology for almost a decade, and many of our customers also deploy Cisco solutions. Cisco has established itself as the industry leader in enabling 100G capabilities. Working with Cisco allows us to seamlessly scale from 10G to 100G services with the flip of a switch. The trial has shown us how easily we can enhance our network so our customers worry less about bandwidth, reliability and speed, and spend more time focusing on new services."
- Surya Panditi, senior vice president and general manager, Core Technology Group, Cisco
"With key partners like US Signal, Cisco is continuing to architect the next-generation Internet, which will easily deliver advanced video, cloud and mobile services to consumers and businesses. The demand for next-generation services requires a more robust network capable of 100G services. We expect a large percentage of networks will evolve to 100G services in the coming years. US Signal is positioning itself well to capitalize on this opportunity. It is ensuring it can meet the needs of its current customers while opening the door to deliver enhanced offerings that can expand its subscriber base."
- More information can be found online regarding US Signal and its offerings.
- Visit the Cisco Service Provider Solutions portal.
- More information available online: Cisco Optical Networking Solutions.
- More information available online: Cisco ASR 9000.
- More information available online: Cisco Nexus 5000.
- More information available online: Cisco UCS.
- View the full Cisco VNI Forecast, 2010-2015.
- Keep up with Cisco's news by visiting the company's Platform Blog.
- Continue the conversation in the Service Provider Mobility Community.
- For more information about Cisco's service provider news and activities visit SP360 or Twitter @CiscoSP360 and @CiscoSPVideo.
- Subscribe to Cisco's SP360 feed.
100G, Cisco, Cisco Aggregation Services Router 9000, Cisco ASR 9000, Cisco Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing Technology, Cisco DWDM, Cisco Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network, Cisco IP NGN, Cisco Nexus 5000 Series Switches, Cisco Nexus 5000, Cisco ONS 15454 Multiple Transport Platform, Cisco ONS 15454 MTSP, Cisco Unified Computing System, Cisco UCS, Cisco Visual Networking Index, Cisco VNI, ONS 15454 MSTP, Optical Networking, Service Provider, US Signal and VNI.
RSS Feed for Cisco:
About US Signal:
The US Signal network, one of the largest in the Midwest, includes more than 11,000 miles of long haul fiber connecting more than 150 on-off ramps, comprised of major carrier hotel locations, incumbent telephone company central offices and other lit buildings. In addition, the US Signal network includes 1,200 route miles of fiber optic metro rings in 23 markets throughout Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri and Wisconsin. To learn more about US Signal, visitwww.ussignalcom.com.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO - News) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found athttp://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=1805315