Ciena’s advanced optical transport technology powers virtual data center and delivery of high-bandwidth applications like medical imaging across hospital network
LINTHICUM, Md. — 11/08/2011
Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings), the network specialist, today announced it has been selected by UC Health, a leading healthcare institution in Ohio, to optimize patient care through high-performance network connectivity across its hospital and data center facilities in Ohio. With Ciena’s 4200 Advanced Services Platform, UC Health will connect four hospital buildings and benefit from the rapid delivery of mission-critical LAN, voice and video traffic and real-time access to vital applications – including Computerized Physician Order Entry (CPOE), Electronic Health Records (EHR), Picture Archiving and Communications Systems (PACS) and other advanced imaging systems – as well as more robust business continuity and disaster recovery (BC/DR) capabilities. Additionally, the 4200-based network will enable a virtual computing environment among UC Health data centers to improve efficiencies, optimize performance and enhance service levels.
- Backed by the academic strength of the University of Cincinnati, one of the nation’s top 25 public research universities, UC Health is revolutionizing how discovery-driven care is delivered.
- With Ciena’s 4200 platform – a flexible high-speed transport solution – UC Health can improve its ability to quickly deploy advanced applications to streamline operations and improve patient care. For example, UC Health will be able to deploy a new mobile application that supports video-conferencing and virtual patient consulting via the Web. UC Health will also continue to benefit from the implementation of PACS, which are computers or networks dedicated to the storage, retrieval, distribution, and presentation of high-bandwidth medical images, such as ultrasonography, radiography, magnetic resonance imaging, positron emission tomography, computed tomography, and radiography.
- The service flexibility and innovative optical transport network (OTN) features of Ciena’s 4200 will also allow UC Health to mix and match services, virtually on demand, and open the door to both existing and emerging applications, like a leading electronic health records (EHR) system that conforms to government mandated ‘meaningful use’ rules.
- Leveraging Ciena’s field-proven WaveLogic coherent technology, UC Health will seamlessly upgrade its existing DWDM network to 40G as bandwidth demands dictate, with the simple addition of transponder cards. Ciena’s technology enables medical providers like UC Health to construct reliable, high-capacity fiber networks for bandwidth intensive, delay sensitive applications which helps ensure that mission-critical patient files and medical information are secure and always available.
- Ciena is also providing UC Health with Ciena Specialist Services that include detailed network design, site engineering, installation and service provisioning.
- Ciena solutions have increased network scalability, reliability and flexibility at healthcare institutions nationwide, including Children's Hospital Boston, Iowa Health System, UC-Davis Medical Center in California; Saint Francis Hospital in Connecticut; and Denver Children’s Hospital.
- “To support the delivery of advanced healthcare applications like medical imaging and EHR, we need a network that is highly reliable, scalable and robust. Ciena’s optical transport solutions allow us to improve patient care, staff productivity and service by increasing our network capacity so that we can deliver critical medical data and files such as high-resolution medical images and patient data.”
– Mike Kincaid, Manager of Network Services, UC Health
- “Ciena has extensive experience in the healthcare sector and we recognize that leading healthcare providers like UC Health are under constant pressure to improve patient care while making operations more efficient and cost-effective. Ciena’s turnkey solution for UC Health is designed to help increase the traffic-carrying capacity of their existing network and also ensure that their communication needs are met in an industry where service is of mission-critical importance.”
– Jason Phipps, Vice President, U.S. Markets, Ciena
Supporting Resources and Multimedia:
- Application Note: Enabling Next-Generation Healthcare Networks
- Product Brochure: 4200: Redefining the Service-Enabled Optical Network
- 3D Demo:4200 Advanced Services Platform
- White paper: The Value of OTN for Network Convergence and IP/Ethernet Migration
Ciena specializes in practical network transition. We offer leading network infrastructure solutions, intelligent software and a comprehensive services practice to help our customers use their networks to fundamentally change the way they compete. With a global presence, Ciena leverages its heritage of practical innovation to deliver maximum performance and economic value in communications networks worldwide. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on September 8, 2011. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377