Increasing Demand for High-Bandwidth Mobile Services Drives Need for Greater Network Performance and Intelligence
TORONTO and SAN JOSE – November 10, 2011 – Cisco today announced that Bell Mobility has selected the Cisco® ASR 5000 Series Mobile multimedia core platformto deliver 4G and Long Term Evolution (LTE) mobile services in its next-generation wireless network.
The Cisco ASR 5000 Series will form the foundation of the packet core for Bell Mobility's LTE network, delivering higherbandwidth and greater intelligence for faster mobile Internet services and improved user experiences.
- Designated as a 4G mobile specification, LTE is designed to provide multi-megabit bandwidth, more efficient use of the radio network, latency reduction and improved mobility. This combination aims to enhance the user's interaction with the network and further drive the demand for mobile multimedia services. With mobile broadband, users can more readily access their Internet services, such as online video, social networking, and interactive gaming - all on the go.
- The Cisco ASR 5000 Series is purpose-built for the complexities of the mobile network. It is a robust, multimedia services platform that brings a new level of network and customer intelligence to the mobile network. Such intelligence is critical to delivering real-time, personalized mobile services.
- The Cisco Mobility Management Entity (MME), a key component of the Cisco ASR 5000 Series, is critical to the network function of the 4G mobile core network, known as the evolved packet core (EPC). The Cisco MME manages multiple back-end functions, including authentication, paging, mobility with 3GPP, 2G and 3G nodes, roaming and other functions.
- The Cisco Serving Gateway (SGW) and the Cisco Packet Data Network Gateway (PGW) are two essential elements to Bell's LTE core network. The Cisco SGW provides superior throughput and processing, while the Cisco PGW acts as policy enforcement, manages quality of service (QoS).
- By combining multiple functions into a single, carrier-class platform, like the Cisco ASR 5000 Series, Bell can reduce signaling overhead, distribute session management, and take full advantage of the network's control and user plane capabilities.
- According to the Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast for 2010 to 2015, two-thirds of the world's mobile data traffic will be video by 2015. Cisco predicts that by 2015 the number of network-connected devices will be more than 15 billion -- twice the world's population -- and the total amount of global mobile Internet traffic will increase 26-fold, reaching 75 exabytes per year.
Stephen Howe, executive vice president and chief technology officer at Bell
"LTE is the next step in ensuring Bell continues to deliver the best networkacross Canada to consumer and business customers. The Cisco ASR 5000 Series helps us providea superior wireless experience and offer new and unique mobile services now and in the future."
Kelly Ahuja, senior vice president, general manager, Service Provider Mobility, Cisco
"We are pleased to partner with Bell Mobility on its LTE network. As theexpectations of mobile users increase, the need for intelligent traffic management, scale, performance and accurate reporting increases for service providers like Bell Mobility. With the Cisco ASR 5000 Series, Bell has a market-leading packet core, built upon an intelligent platform that can integrate multiple functions and is uniquely equipped to accelerate Bell's ability to meet customer needs and grow its business."
- Bell Mobility
- Cisco Service Provider Solutions
- Cisco ASR 5000 Series Mobile Multimedia Core Platform
- Cisco Mobile Internet Solutions (MOVE)
- Read more about Cisco's mobile Internet products and solutions
- Cisco Visual Networking Index home page
- Read the complete Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast, 2010-2015
- For more information about Cisco's service provider news and activities visit the SP360 Blog or follow us on Twitter @SP360
Bell Canada, Bell Mobility, Cisco, ASR 5000 Series Aggregation Service Routers, ASR 5000, mobile Internet, Visual Networking Index Forecast, VNI
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.