Industry-leading coherent 100G technology from Ciena to support delivery of high-bandwidth services and enhance Korean institutions’ access to the global research and education community
LINTHICUM, Md.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ:CIEN – News), the network specialist, and the Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information (KISTI), today announced the deployment of the first 100G network in Korea. KISTI will leverage Ciena’s industry-leading coherent optical technology to expand its network capacity to support enhanced collaboration across the nation on science and technology initiatives for the industrial, academic and corporate sectors.
- KISTI is a leading national research institution in Korea providing science and technology services to the public, offering domestic and foreign bibliographic information resources, a supercomputing and high performance research network, and intelligent technical information management systems.
- KISTI has been leveraging Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform since 2005 for its international backbone link to the Global Ring Network for Advanced Applications Development (GLORIAD), an advanced optical infrastructure connecting scientists and researchers worldwide.
- In a network expansion set to begin in the coming weeks, KISTI will deploy Ciena’s 6500 equipped with WaveLogic™ coherent optical processors as well as Ciena’s Common Photonic Layer to connect its GLORIAD link to the Korea Research Environment Open NETwork (KREONET), a national research and development (R&D) network managed and operated by KISTI.
- KISTI’s new 100G network will provide high-performance optical transport to foster greater scientific collaboration in-region and internationally for key Korean R&D centers on projects including supercomputing and cyber-infrastructure initiatives.
“KISTI’s aim is to help establish Korea as a leading country in scientific research,” said YoungSeo Park, President of KISTI. Dr. HyeakRo Lee, General Manager of KISTI, also mentioned, “Ciena’s coherent 100G technology supports that mission by enabling us to provide a high-capacity and flexible cyber-infrastructure that scientists and researchers can use to work together on advanced innovation and scientific discovery.”
“We are thrilled to support KISTI in building the country’s first 100G network, which will provide the advanced infrastructure required to enable the citizens of Korea to better collaborate with the global scientific community and fully benefit from leading-edge technology discoveries,” said Anthony McLachlan, vice president and general manager, Asia Pacific, Ciena. “Today’s announcement not only underscores our continued market leadership in coherent 100G technology, but also extends our long history of collaboration and deployments with institutions worldwide in transforming how research and development is conducted.”
- Ciena’s 6500 platform is capable of delivering a total throughput of up to 8.8 Tbps on a single fiber pair, creating a dynamic and reliable communications infrastructure that is ideal for computing-intensive research between a wide variety of locations.
- The pioneer and market leader in coherent technology for optical transmission, Ciena offered the industry’s first commercially-available systems – with coherent 40G deployed since 2008 and coherent 100G since 2009 – and has shipped in excess of 9,000 coherent 40G/100G line interfaces to approximately 100 customers across the globe with more than 7.8 million coherent kilometres deployed.
- Ciena provides a unique approach to coherent networking, offering more flexible architectures in addition to improving network economics. With its WaveLogic coherent optical processors, Ciena is increasing capacity throughput in existing networks to 100G today, with developments in place for achieving higher spectral efficiencies with several successful demonstrations of Terabit wavelength transmission, and is the first vendor to offer coherent-enabled colorless ROADM solutions.
- Ciena has a long standing commitment to the research and education sector and powers several of the world’s largest research networks include SURFnet (Netherlands), RENATER (France), CANARIE(Canada), Internet2 (US), and JANET (UK).
- Application Note: Coherent Optical Processing for High-Capacity Networks
- White Paper: Solving the 100 Gb/s Transmission Challenge
- White Paper: Key Technology Enablers of 100 Gb/s in Carrier Networks
- Video: Coherent Optical Processing
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. With focused innovation, Ciena brings together the reliability and capacity of optical networking with the flexibility and economics of Ethernet, unified by a software suite that delivers the industry’s leading network automation. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena’s actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on September 8, 2011. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena’s expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “should,” “will,” and “would” or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.