Ciena’s Carrier Ethernet Service Delivery solutions support scalable, reliable LTE backhaul services to meet demand for 4G mobile data services in Connecticut
LINTHICUM, Md. — 10/24/2011
Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings), the network specialist, today announced it has partnered with Fibertech Networks, a provider of metro-based fiber optic network services to customers in the eastern and central United States, to build a reliable and robust mobile backhaul network for a wireless service provider in Connecticut. The deployment will connect 250 cell towers across the state and support the carrier’s efforts to meet business and residential customer demand for high-bandwidth applications such as video streaming, music downloading, mobile TV, and more, to mobile devices.
- Fibertech is building fiber-based 10 Gb/s backhaul connections to 250 cell towers to meet demand for 4G mobile broadband services. This will allow the service provider to deliver high-bandwidth applications, such as mobile video and high-speed data connectivity.
- Currently in the deployment phase, Ciena’s 5410 and 5150 Service Aggregation Switches, and 3930 Service Delivery Switches, all part of its Carrier Ethernet Service Delivery (CESD) portfolio, will enable Fibertech to deliver a simplified, automated backhaul network that is also scalable, reliable and future-proofed to meet demand for data services with maximum performance.
- Ciena’s Ethernet Service Manager (ESM), an advanced solution for automated service creation, activation and management, will allow Fibertech to quickly turn up Carrier Ethernet services to meet customer demands and SLA requirements.
- Embedded RFC 2544 testing capabilities in the 3930 Service Delivery Switches will ensure that Fibertech field technicians and installers can immediately capture test results and demonstrate that Ethernet backhaul services are meeting the SLA requirements of the wireless service provider, remotely.
- Ciena is also providing Fibertech with ongoing consultation, maintenance and support for this deployment via Ciena Specialist Services.
- Fibertech is a market leader in providing network backhaul for mobile carriers in the eastern and central U.S. The company provides connectivity to more than 2,000 cell towers across its footprint.
- Fibertech previously partnered with Ciena for deployments leveraging the 4200 Advanced Services Platform as a managed solution for large enterprise customers.
- “Fibertech has extensive experience in fiber backhaul connectivity and was one of the first fiber providers to work closely with wireless carriers to connect towers and Mobile Switching Centers with fiber. With more than 10,000 fiber miles contracted by wireless carriers, we offer a vast array of light and dark connectivity options tailored to address the diverse requirements of our customers. It has been a pleasure to align with Ciena. After an eight-week successful trial run, we were impressed with the scalability, reliability and performance of Ciena’s CESD solutions. Working with them ensures our customers’ ability to meet demand for bandwidth-intensive mobile applications for many years to come.”
– Earl Ipsaro, Vice President of Engineering at Fibertech
- “Fibertech’s mobile backhaul network will be state-of-the-art, future-proof and cost effective thanks to our Carrier Ethernet solutions, which minimize the difficulty associated with network transition and expansion. Our packet transport and switching portfolio is well-suited to meet the demands of mobile backhaul – combining high switching capacity and high-speed connectivity options with low-latency, end-to-end visibility and high integrity, essential to creating robust next-generation wireless backhaul networks.”
– Mike Nielsen, Vice President of Products and Technology, Carrier Ethernet Service Delivery at
4G World 2011 Highlights
- Ciena will demonstrate its Carrier Ethernet solutions at 4G World in Chicago, Oct. 24-27, in booth #807.
- Ciena thought leaders will present on the following panels during the event:
Tuesday, October 25
Wednesday, October 26
- 1:00 p.m. – Presentation: Innovations in Intelligent Infrastructure
- 2:30 p.m. – Presentation: Bending the Cost Curve in 4G Backhaul
- Ciena’s CESD portfolio combines intelligent devices and software to create low-touch, high-velocity Carrier Ethernet access and metro networks creating a common, consistent way to deliver the full range of Ethernet services that significantly accelerates and automates service creation and activation.
- Ciena’s ESM is a ground-breaking carrier-grade, automated service activation, creation and management platform for Ciena’s CESD portfolio. The ESM enables users to efficiently build and deploy large-scale Carrier Ethernet networks; cut time to market for new services; accelerate service revenue; maximize service availability; assure service quality; and leverage existing systems.
- Ciena’s Carrier Ethernet solutions for LTE wireless backhaul provide up to 30 percent savings in capital expenses and up to 80 percent reduction in turn-up times for mobile network operators at base stations, compared to alternative packet technologies, according to an independent study commissioned by Ciena.
- Ciena’s Carrier Ethernet portfolio is used by more than 150 carriers, wireless service providers and cable operators worldwide, with an installed base of nearly 50,000 at Ethernet-enabled cell sites.
- White Paper: Maximizing LTE Benefits Using True Carrier Ethernet Backhaul
- White Paper: Wireless Backhaul Network Solutions
- White Paper: Navigating the Wireless Backhaul Bottleneck
- Product Overviews: 5410 and 5150 Service Aggregation Switches, 3930 Service Delivery Switches, Ethernet Services Manager
- Video: 4G LTE Wireless Backhaul
- Video: Ciena’s Portfolio for Wireless Backhaul
- Video: Ciena Wireless Backhaul Solutions
About Fibertech Networks
Headquartered in Rochester, N.Y., Fibertech Networks is a leader in providing fiber-optic based network services throughout mid-size cities in the Eastern and Central regions of the United States. Fibertech was founded in May of 2000, has built metro-area fiber networks in 23 mid-size markets in the Eastern U.S., and is led by Court Square Capital Partners of New York, N.Y. Further information about the company can be found at www.fibertech.com.
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they compete. With focused innovation, Ciena brings together the reliability and capacity of optical networking with the flexibility and economics of Ethernet, unified by a software suite that delivers the industry’s leading network automation. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena’s actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on September 8, 2011. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena’s expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “should,” “will,” and “would” or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377