Pioneering Ukrainian operator upgrades backbone network to meet growing connectivity requirements of region’s carriers and enterprises; supports international traffic
LINTHICUM, Md., U.S.A., and KIEV, Ukraine — 10/10/2011
Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings), the network specialist, and the Ukrainian telecoms operator Eurotranstelecom (ETT®), today announced the first commercial deployment of 100G in Eastern Europe as part of Eurotranstelecom’s nationwide backbone network covering the key regions in Ukraine and linking it to Russian, Polish, Hungarian and Slovakian networks. Based on Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform equipped with WaveLogicTM Coherent Optical Processors, ETT’s high-capacity optical network supports carriers’ growing requirement for high-speed connectivity, supporting national and international traffic with a flexible, cost-efficient and scalable infrastructure.
- A long-standing partner of Ciena, ETT is upgrading a link on its current optical DWDM network to 100G, enabling the carrier to better meet the high bandwidth needs of its customer base. Ciena’s highly-scalable coherent technology provides ETT with a smooth and rapid transition to 100G – without the need for a network redesign. Ciena’s flexible architecture allows ETT to run 10G, 40G and 100G wavelengths simultaneously, and upgrade to higher capacities as requirements change, all while reducing overall operational costs.
- The 100G link is 560 km long and connects the capital Kiev to Kharkov in the northeast of the country. ETT plans to extend its 100G network to major Ukrainian regional centers such as Lvov, Donetsk, Odessa, and Dnepropetrovsk, providing high-speed support for in-transit traffic from European, Ukrainian and Russian operators.
- ETT provides connectivity services to carriers and service providers based on its 6000 km fiber optic cable network that covers the country’s main urban areas and is integrated with networks in Russia, Poland, Hungary, and Slovakia. ETT’s fiber optic cables are laid along the railway system in Ukraine, ensuring the network’s high reliability.
- “Carriers and business clients expect the most innovative and reliable technology, which will empower them to succeed in their respective fields. ETT is a long-haul operator, once again leading the Ukrainian market with the introduction of 100G. This technology will allow our clients to get high-speed links to key international and national markets. Ciena’s coherent solution provides ETT with a smooth network upgrade without the need for a redesign of the existing infrastructure, offering a reliable, scalable and cost-efficient foundation for our network.”
– Alexandr Prokopenko, CTO at ETT
- “Eastern Europe is experiencing a growing demand for capacity, driven by the rise of international traffic and high-bandwidth services such as social networking, cloud computing and video. Meeting this hunger for bandwidth requires not only additional capacity, but a cost-efficient infrastructure that enables telecoms operators to support and monetize new service offerings. This is where Ciena’s unique coherent technology comes in – it provides ETT with a future-proof network infrastructure that allows it to stay ahead of the competition.”
– Peter Newcombe, vice president of sales, Northern and Eastern Europe at Ciena
Technology Leadership and Product Background:
- The pioneer in coherent optical technology, Ciena is also the market leader in this area, with more than 9,000 coherent 40G/100G line interfaces shipped to approximately 100 customers across the globe.
- Ciena provides a unique approach to coherent networking, offering more flexible architectures in addition to improving network economics. Ciena leverages its WaveLogic coherent optical processors to increase capacity throughput in existing networks to 100G today, with developments in place for achieving higher spectral efficiencies with several successful demonstrations of Terabit wavelength transmission, and is the first vendor to offer coherent-enabled colorless ROADM solutions.
- Current customers of Ciena’s 100G coherent technology include Verizon, SEAMEWE-4 and the Romanian Education Network (RoEduNet).
Supporting Resources and Multimedia:
- Coherent Application Note: Coherent Optical Processing for High-Capacity Networks
- Data Sheet: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Video: What is Coherent Optical Networking?
- Blog: Proving that 100G is real today
LLC Eurotranstelecom (www.ett.aua) is an alternative operator in Ukraine, which provides wholesale services to national and international service providers. Eurotranstelecom has its own optical cable network, which is laid along railways in Ukraine and covers the country’s major regions. The operator has its own national DWDM, SDH and IP/ MPLS networks and offers its customers IP transit, data and voice services, lambda, collocation, dark fiber lease and maintenance services.
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. With focused innovation, Ciena brings together the reliability and capacity of optical networking with the flexibility and economics of Ethernet, unified by a software suite that delivers the industry’s leading network automation. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena’s actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on September 8, 2011. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena’s expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “should,” “will,” and “would” or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377
+44 (0) 20 7012 5584