PwC Tower transforms tenant experience and sets new building development standards through connectivity, building system and facilities management with Cisco Smart+Connected Real Estate
TORONTO, Ontario, October 4, 2011 -Cisco and EllisDon today announced completion of PwC Tower's technology infrastructure, based on Cisco® Smart+Connected Real Estate solutions. Located at 18 York Street, in Toronto's Southcore Financial Centre, PwC Tower is one of Canada's most advanced commercial developments.
Developed by GWL Realty Advisors on behalf of owner British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (bcIMC), the new tower comprises 650,000 square-feet on 26 floors and opened its doors on September 06, 2011. PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP (PwC) is the primary tenant, occupying 16 floors. Utilizing Cisco Smart+Connected Real Estate solutions, PwC Tower is one of the first commercial buildings in Canada with an end-to-end building information network. All building systems communicate over the Cisco IP network and are managed by a central management system, which acts as the central nervous system of the building, optimizing building performance, reducing building energy footprint and providing services and features that enhance the occupant experience.
- Working closely with the developer, GWL Realty Advisors, and tenant, PwC, EllisDon Information and Communication Technology Services and Cisco assembled a team of focused professionals to design a future-ready building based on Cisco Smart+Connected Real Estate solutions. The collaboration was also aimed at providing the advanced technology features and functionality to drive the asset value of PwC's existing technology investment in Cisco Unified Communications and wired and wireless networking solutions.
- The building is connected via a single, intelligent Cisco infrastructure, providing multiple services across one IP network—delivering data, voice and video, and connecting all building systems and controls, as well as third-party applications for lighting, security, blinds and audio visual
- A central management system provides access to third-party applications for fault detection of all building systems, including heating, ventilation and cooling, performing continuous analysis, and predicting building performance. The data collected can also be used for preventive maintenance analytics.
- Utilizing a third-party application on their Cisco IP Phones, PwC employees will be able to control lighting to personalize offices, conference rooms and quiet areas. No longer just a dial tone, but a room controller, the Cisco IP Phone replaces light switches as well as offering voice, video and data over the converged network.
- By removing traditional siloed approaches to building design, data from previously disparate building systems can now be collected over one IP network, helping owners, landlords and tenants monitor and improve the performance of buildings.
- In 2009, EllisDon and Cisco began a strategic collaboration designed to accelerate the development of a next-generation, connected building strategy to bring the power of network convergence to building construction. PwC Tower represents the first completed commercial building collaboration between Cisco and EllisDon.
Mary McGrath, project leader, PwC Tower, PwC
"From the outset of this project we've looked for ways to work with GWL Realty Advisors and EllisDon ICT to create the most value at PwC Tower. The result has been a unique space that is very efficient and provides our people with ways to work more closely with our clients and collaborate with our coworkers. The flexibility that PwC Tower's IP infrastructure offers will enable us to adapt quickly and more cost effectively to manage growth and change at our firm."
Stephen Foster, director of ICT services, EllisDon Corp.
"The construction and real estate industry is in transformation and the IP network is playing a critical role in building and managing buildings. A one network approach, like we've developed at PwC Tower enables better facilities management, overall better experiences for landlords and tenants, and drives asset value. We are proud to be driving that change as we incorporate IP network solutions in all our future-ready buildings."
Rick Huijbregts, vice president, Smart +Connected Communities, Cisco Canada
"PwC Tower clearly demonstrates that building objectives such as sustainability, energy management, increasing operational efficiencies or innovation in the workplace, all start with using the network as a platform to transform the built environment. Our partnership with EllisDon and PwC has resulted in a building which truly embraces these elements and is focused on delivering next-generation building services."
Anil Menon, president, Globalisation and Smart+Connected Communities, Cisco
"PwC Tower in Toronto is a strong global example of how transformational relationships, like ours with EllisDon, and an eco-system of partners can create a truly Smart+Connected building. At PwC Tower, Cisco and EllisDon have brought together a group of innovative third-party applications, integrated on a central IP network, that allow developers and tenants to have better control and management of their environment than ever before."
Cisco, EllisDon, GWL Realty Advisors, Smart+Connected Communities, Smart + Connected Real Estate, Green, sustainability, smart building, intelligent building, Southcore Financial Centre, PwC Tower, bcIMC
- Cisco Smart+Connected Communities
- Smart+Connected Communities Institute
- Visit 18 York and GWL Realty Advisors
- PwC Tower photos on Flickr
- Follow Cisco Canada on Twitter and Facebook
- Watch Cisco S+CC solutions
EllisDon is an employee-owned company delivering construction expertise and services to clients throughout the world. Completing in excess of $2 billion in new construction annually, EllisDon employs approximately 1,000 people and has a presence in North America, as well as offices in the West Indies and the United Arab Emirates. Incorporated in 1951, EllisDon has distinguished itself through its people and its innovative practices. Offering not only construction and project management but now a growing range of construction consulting services in risk management and technology, EllisDon is behind some of the most exciting and innovative projects in the world. For more information, please visit www.ellisdon.com.
Cisco, (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings), is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to News@Ciscoand News@Cisco Canada.
- Karin ScottCisco Systems, Inc.+1 416 306 firstname.lastname@example.org