New Borderless Networks Solution Will Facilitate the Development of a Student-centric Technology-Based Learning Environment
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – October 11, 2011 – Cisco today announced that the Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC) has chosen a Cisco® Borderless Networks solution to transform productivity and enrich the learning environment with advanced technology across all ADEC schools by the end of 2011.
The decision is a key milestone in the development of the education council's technology infrastructure, whereby nearly 270 schools will now be connected across the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. Etisalat and Cisco Advanced Services were selected as the lead system integrators.
Designed to connect all ADEC schools in Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, and Al Gharbia, the Cisco architecture will provide highly secure and reliable access to critical information that will enable students to become world-class learners able to fully participate in a sustainable, knowledge-based society.
- ADEC's goal is to enrich the learning environment and enhance student performance using technology that meets the needs of 21st-century learners, educators and organizations. ADEC needed a networking infrastructure to support their ambitious goals.
- Cisco and ADEC took an architectural approach to transforming the school system's network and data center. The approach began with thoroughly understanding what ADEC wanted to achieve and determining the IT strategy that would be needed to implement its vision.
- Cisco was mandated by ADEC to develop a complete Borderless Networks infrastructure across ADEC schools. Cisco's Borderless Networks solution will allow all ADEC students and staff to connect with each other, share folders, and devices regardless of their location.
- The Cisco Borderless Network Architecture provides ADEC with investment protection. The Cisco network platform is designed to be easily expanded to accommodate advanced applications that ADEC might add in the future. High scalability will enable new applications and capabilities to be added over the next three to five years with the minimal adjustments.
- ADEC's data center now features the Cisco Nexus® 7000, Cisco Unified Computing System™, and Cisco IronPort™ security. The network infrastructure in each school includes a WAN router, core and access switches, wireless LAN, and Internet connectivity. Comprehensive connectivity enables staff at ADEC's data center to centrally manage information systems for all schools. Also, the solutions implemented will develop teacher proficiency and enhance productivity.
- The new infrastructure will support 150,000 students, and 15,000 teachers, and administrators across 270 schools.
- Mohammed Younes, ICT division manager, ADEC
"This implementation in collaboration with Cisco is a key milestone for ADEC to deliver on our vision to raise education standards in Abu Dhabi in order to help students become world-class learners able to fully participate in a sustainable, knowledge-based society. Technological literacy is an important part of modern education to ensure that students are comfortable using and adapting technology throughout their lives. Education is at the forefront of Abu Dhabi's Vision 2030 and has been recognized as a key pillar as Abu Dhabi strives to become a knowledge-based economy."
- Wayne Hull, director and general manager, Cisco, UAE
"Cisco's vision is to play a major role in connecting the nation and helping to transform education not only in Abu Dhabi, but also throughout the UAE by making our solutions relevant to the needs of21st-century learners, educators and organizations. As a leading provider of IP networking and collaboration for schools in the UAE, Cisco now offers technology solutions that will benefit both educational institutions and its administration. More than any other company, we know how to create a solid ‘Connected Schools' foundation that can support the processes and systems that are required to move to the next level."
Links / URLs:
- Emerging Markets RSS Feed:
- Middle East News:
About Abu Dhabi Education Council
Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC) was established in accordance with law No. 24 of 2005, issued by His Highness Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al-Nahyan, the UAE President, the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces and the Ruler of Abu Dhabi. The Chairman of ADEC is H.H. Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces and the Vice-Chairman is H.H. Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al-Nahyan, Minister of Presidential Affairs. The Council seeks to develop education and educational institutions in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, implement innovative educational policies, plans and programs that aim to improve education, and support educational institutions and staff to achieve the objectives of national development in accordance with the highest international standards.
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.Cisco equipment in emerging markets is provided by Cisco Systems International B.V. and Cisco International Limited, wholly owned subsidiaries of Cisco Systems, Inc.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
- Jumana AkkawiCisco Systems, Inc.+971 4 390 firstname.lastname@example.org
Investor Relations Contacts
- Matthew HardwickCisco Systems, Inc.+44 20 8824 email@example.com
Industry Analyst Relations
- Sharon RobinsonCisco Systems, Inc.+44 20 firstname.lastname@example.org