High definition, fully immersive Cisco TelePresence technology expands access to leaders including live streaming of U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s keynote speech
September 9, 2011
Cisco and Tata Communications are joining forces to bring prominent women leaders, including U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, to participants around the world through Cisco TelePresence, a high definition, fully immersive technology that will visually connect the summit’s speakers, in real time, to the rest of the globe. The speakers will be gathered at the APEC Women and the Economy Summit, the premier event bringing together senior private and public sector players for a dialogue on fostering women’s economic empowerment among the APEC economies. The conference is being hosted by the U.S. Department of State and the Bay Area Council.
Featured keynote speaker at the event will be U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and additional confirmed speakers include, among many others:
- Christine Lagarde, Managing Director, International Monetary Fund
- Valerie Jarrett, Senior Advisor to the President of the United States andChair of the White House Council on Women and Girls
- Dr. Rebecca M. Blank, Acting Secretary of Commerce and Under Secretary of Commerce for Economic Affairs, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Michelle Bachelet, UN Under Secretary General and Executive Director, UN Women
- Sheri McCoy, Vice Chairman and Executive Committee Member, Johnson & Johnson
- Dorothy Attwood, Senior Vice President, Global Public Policy, Walt Disney Company
- Anne Finucane, Global Strategy and Marketing Officer, Bank of America
- Sheryl Sandberg, Chief Operating Officer, Facebook
- Kathy Hill, Senior Vice President, Office of the Chief Operating Officer, Cisco
Wednesday, September 14 through Friday, September 16, 2011
(all times PST; all sessions below viewable at http://www.ustream.tv/ciscotv)
Thursday Sept 15th
9-9:30 am Opening Address: Driving Economic Growth: The Path to Prosperity
- Historical Regional Collaboration: Women’s contribution to the economy has been recognized as a key driver for economic growth and prosperity. This historical summit elevates the policy discussion on the inclusion of women in the economy as governments and private sector work together to improve economic growth and business opportunities in the region.
Speakers: Lorraine Hariton, Special Representative for Commercial and Business Affairs, U.S. Department of State; Fumiko Hayashi, Mayor of Yokohama, Japan; Melanne Verveer, Ambassador-at-Large for Global Women’s Issues, U.S. Department of State
Video: “Did You Know? The Positive Impact that Women Have on Economic Growth”
9:30-10:30am Plenary 1: VISION 2020: A Roadmap to Success
- Opening Conversation: What 2020 could look like with more women leaders in the global economy. Policy Basis: MACROECONOMIC IMPACT: Integrating women into the global economy has long-term benefits for the labor force, economic performance, and for job creation at all levels. Research indicates that increasing female employment rates would have positive implications for the global economy.
Speakers: Chris Jansing, Anchor and Host of ‘Jansing &Co.,’ MSNBC (moderator); Mari Pangestu, Minister of Trade, Indonesia; Sheryl Sandberg, Chief Operating Officer, Facebook; Gene Sperling, Director, National Economic Council, White House, The United States
11am-12:30pm Plenary 2: Expanding Market Opportunities
- The ability of women active in the marketplace to expand their markets is improved by, among other things, enhanced business acumen (including mentoring and technical assistance); improved access to financing; better access to information on regulatory environment and market opportunities (including match-making and technical assistance.)
Speakers: Mercedes Benavides, Founder, Wayaru, Peru (via Cisco TelePresence); Carol Massar, Bloomberg TV (moderator); Dorothy Attwood, Senior Vice President, Global Public Policy, Walt Disney Company; Beatrice Boza, Founder and Executive Director, Ciudadanos al Dia, Peru; Elim Chew, Founder & President, 77th Street Pte Ltd, Singapore; Sheri McCoy, Vice Chairman and Executive Committee Member, Johnson & Johnson; Perry Yeatman, SVP Corporate and Legal and President of Kraft Food Foundation, Kraft Inc.
Friday Sept 16th
9am – 9.30am WES Keynote Address: Some Leaders Are Born Women
Keynote Speaker:Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton
10am -11am Plenary 3: Women At the Top: How Diverse Leadership Benefits Everyone
- Nothing succeeds like success. Four successful women will share their insights into the impact their leadership has made on their companies and their communities.
Speakers: Tina Brown, Editor-in Chief, The Newsweek Daily Beast Company (moderator), Cherie Blair, Founder, Cherie Blair Foundation for Women, UK; Susan N. Fleishman, Executive Vice President, Worldwide Corporate Communications & Public Affairs, Warner Bros. Entertainment; Ilene H. Lang, President & Chief Executive Officer, Catalyst; Romi Haan, Chief Executive Officer, Haan Corporation, Republic of Korea; Blanca Trevino, President and CEO, Softtek, Mexico
12:30pm – 2pm Marvell: Technology and Women’s Entrepreneurship in APEC Economies
- Join a discussion to explore the keys to the success of technology clusters like Silicon Valley, and how women become even more engaged in continuing to drive the innovation economy.
- Speakers:Meng Xiaosi, Vice President, All-China Women’s Federation; Ginger Lew, Senior Counselor, National Economic Council and Small Business Administration Administrato; Weili Dai, Co-Founder, Marvell; Deborah Forte, President, Scholastic Entertainment Inc.; Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren, U.S. House of Representatives, California; Kathy Hill, Senior Vice President, Cisco; Claire Tomlin Ph.D, Professor of Engineering and Computer Sciences,U.C. Berkeley; Telle Whitney, President & Chief Executive Officer,Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology (moderator)
- The above sessions will be simulcast at five sites in the San Francisco area: Dominican University, Commonwealth Club, Mills College, the World Affairs Council, and Cisco headquarters in San Jose. Details for these events at www.bayareacouncil.org/WES. Accredited media please contact Kristine Relja at firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-593-8411 to RSVP for the Cisco viewing.
- To attend the live broadcast, please visit http://www.ustream.tv/ciscotv. No registration is required. A replay of the event will be available shortly following the event on the same page.
NOTES TO EDITORS:
Through Cisco TelePresence, the speakers, from locations as diverse as Peru, will have their keynote presentations and panel discussions broadcast over a virtual table to audiences in other geographies. The technology, which is so lifelike, provides speakers and viewers alike the feeling of being in the same room, regardless of where they are individually located. What’s more, it means that those not attending the conference in person don’t have to miss out on the wealth of information being shared around the role of women in the economy.
Cisco will provide the hardware, while Tata Communications will provide the connectivity and infrastructure to power the telepresence connections around the globe.
As the first service provider to launch public room telepresence services with Cisco back in 2008, Tata Communications has continued to bring the benefits and experience of high definition, virtual collaboration to businesses the world over.
About Tata Communications
Tata Communications is a leading global provider of a new world of communications. With a leadership position in emerging markets, Tata Communications leverages its advanced solutions capabilities and domain expertise across its global and pan-India network to deliver managed solutions to multi-national enterprises, service providers and Indian consumers.
The Tata Global Network includes one of the most advanced and largest submarine cable networks, a Tier-1 IP network, with connectivity to more than 200 countries across 400 PoPs, and nearly 1 million square feet of data center and collocation space worldwide.
Tata Communications’ depth and breadth of reach in emerging markets includes leadership in Indian enterprise data services, leadership in global international voice, and strategic investments in South Africa (Neotel), Sri Lanka (Tata Communications Lanka Limited) and Nepal (United Telecom Limited)
Tata Communications Limited is listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange of India and its ADRs are listed on the New York Stock Exchange. (NYSE: TCL) www.tatacommunications.com
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
- Marc MusgroveCisco Systems, Inc.+1 408 525 email@example.com