New York City and tri-state area Ethernet connectivity provider deploys Ciena’s Carrier Ethernet Service Delivery solutions to deliver reliable, scalable and cost-effective access services
LINTHICUM, Md. — 08/10/2011
Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings), the network specialist, today announced a partnership with Pangaea Networks, a leading provider of multi-protocol metro Ethernet local loop connectivity, to deliver reliable and robust Ethernet business services to service providers in the New York City and tri-state area.
• As a wholesale metro Ethernet connectivity provider, Pangaea Networks delivers flat-rate Ethernet access to more than 2,700 enterprise buildings and interconnectivity to nearly all of the New York and New Jersey metro area data center and colocation facilities. Overall, the company enables service providers to connect to their enterprise customers, providing an end-to-end Ethernet service at both Layer 1 and Layer 2.
• The company selected Ciena’s 3960 Service Delivery Switch, a next-generation Ethernet access system that delivers premium business Ethernet services via fiber or copper connections, to serve as the foundation of its metro network backbone architecture.
• By leveraging Ciena’s technology, Pangaea is able to provide a reliable and resilient transport solution ideal for delivering voice, data, IP, VoIP, MPLS, video, and any other real-time, latency-sensitive applications over its network infrastructure.
• Additionally, Pangaea is also leveraging Ciena’s 3960 Service Delivery Switch as part of their PANMetro TM 10 GigE Ring service throughout New York and New Jersey. The PANMetro 10 GigE Ring is the first and only commercially available Ethernet ring that provides any-to-any connectivity to the top data centers, which in turn reduces the need for colocation space, power, and equipment.
• “Ciena’s CESD solutions are highly reliable, flexible and cost-effective while also allowing for easy configuration and management. The company’s 3960 Service Delivery Switch gives us the ability to turn up bandwidth remotely to quickly meet spikes in customer demand, saving us the time and cost of truck rolls and giving our customers the advantage of assured connectivity.”– Matt O’Leary, vice president of engineering and network planning at Pangaea Networks.
• “The growth in demand for this type of premium Ethernet business services clearly reflects the market’s readiness for a more scalable, efficient way for organizations to access not only remote data centers and cloud services, but also offer a variety of applications such as voice, data and video. We’re pleased to partner with Pangaea Networks in order to provide these types of services to an extended base of service providers and ultimately to their enterprise customers.” – Jason Phipps, vice president, global market operations at Ciena.
• Application note: Delivering True Carrier Ethernet Business Services
• Product overview: 3960 Service Delivery Switch
About Pangaea Networks
Pangaea Networks is the leading provider of multi-protocol Metro Ethernet Local Loop connectivity in New York City and the tri-state area. Pangaea provides Native Ethernet, EoWavelength, EoSONET/SDH, EoTDM, EoC and Private Fiber Builds, all according to strict MEF (Metro Ethernet Forum) guidelines. Pangaea is the only independent wholesale Ethernet local loop provider in the region. Through the PANMetro™ Ethernet platform, Pangaea facilitates International and Domestic Carriers, Service Providers, Resellers and the Agent Channel to sell more of their own IP, VoIP, Voice, Data, Peering, Video, and MPLS services. Pangaea deploys leading edge Customer Premise Equipment (CPE) for 24x7x365 visibility and monitoring from the Network Edge to the Carrier Core. Pangaea's fiber-optic backbone in the New York City market provides customers with a diverse network alternative and a unique, low-latency footprint between key data centers. PANMetro™ Ethernet – Seamless, End to End fully Managed and Monitored Carrier Class Metro Ethernet across All Media. Via Pangaea!
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. With focused innovation, Ciena brings together the reliability and capacity of optical networking with the flexibility and economics of Ethernet, unified by a software suite that delivers the industry’s leading network automation. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visit www.ciena.com
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 9, 2011. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377
(888) 243 6223