Students can stay on top of their school work and keep in touch with friends and family by using Sprint’s powerful phones, truly unlimited data and access to thousands of applications
Prepaid options include blowout sale prices on phones from Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile USA
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), August 16, 2011 - Books, new clothes, school supplies – there’s so much to buy and budget for this time of year as everyone gets ready to go back to school. Sprint (NYSE:S, news, filings) makes it easy for students to stay on top of their school work and keep in touch without breaking the bank with powerful phones, affordable Everything Data plans featuring truly unlimited data, and access to thousands of applications.
“Being prepared for school has really changed during the past 10 years because of a host of wireless innovations, and Sprint is a great place to find out how students can move to the head of the class,” said David Owens, vice president of Product Realization for Sprint. “Whether you need a tablet, a wireless hotspot to power your laptop, or a phone with thousands of apps to help with school, Sprint has what you need. And with Sprint’s unlimited data plans for phones, you don’t have to worry about a shocking phone bill like you might with other carriers.”
Students can stay connected and stay on top of their school work with Sprint’s exclusive lineup of powerful devices. From the first glasses-free 3D phone to a 4G device under $100, Sprint has a robust device lineup to keep students organized, including:
- HTC EVO View 4G™ – Leave the notebooks behind, HTC EVO View 4G brings the best of the EVO experience to a tablet design with a 7-inch touchscreen, 1.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor and latest version of HTC Sense. Using HTC Scribe Technology™ and the HTC Scribe™ digital pen (sold separately), HTC EVO View 4G, when combined with Evernote™, a leading notes application and service, gives students the ability to capture and make notes on Web pages, ebooks, PDF documents and more, in an easy and natural way. HTC EVO View is available for $399.99 (excluding taxes) with a new two-year service agreement or eligible upgrade.
- HTC EVO™ 3D – The ability to capture and view photos and videos in 3D and share at 4G speeds is just one reason students will love HTC EVO 3D. Built with the Android™ 2.3 Gingerbread operating system, it also features America’s first 4.3-inch qHD 3D display, a powerful 1.2GHz Qualcomm® Snapdragon® dual-core processor, and dual 5-megapixel cameras. HTC EVO 3D is available for just $199.99 (excluding taxes) with a two-year service agreement or new-line activation for eligible upgrade.
- Samsung Conquer™ 4G – Maintain your student’s budget and provide the latest in 4G technology for under $100. Samsung Conquer 4G is built on Android™ 2.3 Gingerbread and offers Sprint ID and blazing-fast Sprint 4G speeds on America’s Favorite 4G Network1. It features an enhanced 3.5-inch touchscreen and dual cameras enabling video chat while on-the-go. It will be available Aug. 21 for just $99.99, after a $50 mail-in rebate via reward card (excluding taxes)”with a two-year service agreement and new-line activation for eligible upgrade.
- Samsung Replenish™ – Keep the Earth-loving student powered with an Android eco-friendly smartphone. Partially built with recycled plastics2 and recyclable packaging3, Replenish is enabled with Sprint ID, which allows students to personalize their device instantly with eco-focused apps, widgets and mobile content by downloading the Green ID pack. Samsung Replenish is available for just $29.99, after a $50 mail-in rebate via reward card (excluding taxes) with a two-year service agreement and new-line activation or eligible upgrade. As part of a special promotion that showcases Sprint’s commitment to environmental responsibility, customers can save $10 per month on their monthly wireless service when they purchase a Samsung Replenish.
- Overdrive™ Pro 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot by Sierra Wireless – Power a small classroom with Overdrive Pro. Overdrive Pro allows users to connect up to eight Wi-Fi-enabled devices simultaneously – including laptops, tablets, eReaders, music players, gaming devices and cameras – through a single connection (via Wi-Fi) to Sprint’s 3G or 4G networks. Overdrive Pro is available for just $49.99 (excluding taxes) after a $50 mail-in-rebate with a two-year service agreement.
Android-powered devices from Sprint offer access to more than 250,000 apps from Android Market. Whether it’s finding the best textbook prices, keeping their schedule organized or waking up on time for class, students can take advantage of helpful applications, including:
- ScanLife: Students can save money on books by using their phone’s camera to find cheap textbook prices. ScanLife lets users search online stores for book prices by scanning the book’s UPC code or 2D barcode. Free in Android Market.
- ShareYourBoard: Students can simply snap a photo of the classroom’s whiteboard, covered with the professor’s notes – no matter what angle, lighting or type of whiteboard or markers are used – and this app will improve the readability and extract all the information users need. Free in Android Market.
- Documents To Go: Perfect for students working on term papers, Documents to Go lets users access and view Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint files and attachments remotely and send them to classmates or professors. Free in Android Market.
- Class Buddy – Student Planner: This all-in-one organizer application helps students manage semesters, terms, courses and classes, as well as keep track of attendance and GPA. $1.49 in Android Market.
- Better Alarm Clock: Better Alarm Clock allows users to make customizable alarm schedules to ensure they won't miss that 8 a.m. class or early-morning practice. Free in Android Market.
In addition, college students will appreciate starting the fall semester with Blackboard Mobile Learn™, a free application that allows students at many colleges to complete class work, check grades, interact with professors and more from virtually anywhere, anytime. Blackboard Mobile Learn takes interactive teaching and learning to mobile devices, giving students and teachers instant access to their courses, content and organizations anywhere directly from their smartphones, including Android and BlackBerry smartphones from Sprint. Through a partnership between Sprint and Blackboard Inc., the application is available on Sprint 3G and 4G networks or with Wi-Fi at no extra charge to institutions using Blackboard’s online teaching and learning platform.
Sprint customers can access these and other apps without worrying about overage charges because Sprint is the only national wireless carrier to offer truly unlimited data for smartphones. With Sprint, customers don’t have to worry about surprises on their monthly bill from data overage charges like they might with tiered data plans from AT&T or Verizon. Nor do they have to limit their data usage to avoid throttling, like they might with T-Mobile.
Sprint’s Everything Data 450 plan with Any Mobile, AnytimeSM includes unlimited Web, texting and calling to and from any mobile in America while on the Sprint network, for just $69.99 per month plus required $10 per month Premium Data add-on charge for smartphones – a savings of $40 per month vs. Verizon’s comparable plan with unlimited talk, text and just 2GB Web or $10 per month vs. Verizon’s 450-minute plan with unlimited text and 2GB Web (pricing excludes taxes and surcharges).
For students on a budget, no-contract service is another great option. Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile USA, two of Sprint’s no-contract wireless brands, are helping make the school year more affordable by cutting prices on some of their most popular phones, effective immediately.
Boost Mobile has reduced the prices on a variety of its phones:
- Motorola ClutchTM i465 and Graphite i465g, a candy-bar QWERTY perfect for heavy texters, are $49.99.
- Samsung SeekTM, Boost’s first touchscreen device with a slide-out QWERTY keypad, is $79.99.
- Sanyo JunoTM by Kyocera in impulsive pink and deep blue, the phone offers simplicity and flare with a QWERTY keyboard and one-click texting button for $39.99.
All phones are available at Boost Mobile’s exclusive retail stores, select independent wireless dealer locations across the country, major retail national outlets and at www.boostmobile.com with free shipping. Students won’t need to worry about running out of minutes or capped data use as all Boost phones are available on Boost Mobile’s $50 Monthly Unlimited with Shrinkage plan, which includes nationwide talk, text, Web, email and payments that shrink.
Virgin Mobile USA
Virgin Mobile is offering great pricing on its popular Android-powered phones:
- Samsung Intercept™, a 3G smartphone featuring a 3.2-inch touchscreen, Android Market, QWERTY keyboard, and 3.2MP camera, is $149.99.
- LG® Optimus V™, a 3G and Wi-Fi capable smartphone operating on Android 2.2 and featuring a 3.2-inch touchscreen with a virtual QWERTY keyboard and Swype® text entry. Customers can check in with Gmail™, Twitter®, and YouTube™ for $149.99.
- For those looking for a top-of-the-line smartphone, the new Motorola Triumph™ is available for $299.99. Triumph features a superfast 1GHz processor, 4.1-inch touchscreen, 5MP camera, front-facing VGA camera, 720p HD camcorder with HDMI output, Google Maps with Navigation™, Android Market™, and more on the Android 2.2 platform. Coupled with the $35 monthly plan, Triumph provides the greatest value4 for an Android plan in the marketplace.
All Android-powered smartphones are available at www.virginmobileusa.com with free shipping and more than 40,000 retail stores, including Best Buy, Radio Shack, Target and Walmart. Virgin Mobile dares consumers to “find a better Android plan” than unlimited Web, data, messaging and email at $35 a month on Beyond Talk plans.
Virgin Mobile is also offering special promotions on its Broadband2Go devices. The MiFi® 2200 Mobile Hotspot is $129.99, reduced from $149.99, and the Ovation MC760 USB device is $59.99, reduced from $79.99, now through Aug. 23 or while supplies last. Virgin Mobile’s No Annual Contract Broadband2Go plans feature 3G speeds. Prices,start at just $10 for 10 days/100MB of data or $20 per month for 500MB of data. The $50 Unlimited Plan gives you unlimited data access with 3G speeds up to 2.5GB each month. Another Broadband2Go device, ZTE PEEL™ 3200, provides a 3G connection for your iPod Touch®. The PEEL monthly plan is $20/month for 500MB of data.
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel served more than 52 million customers at the end of 2Q 2011 and is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including the first wireless 4G service from a national carrier in the United States; offering industry-leading mobile data services, leading prepaid brands including Virgin Mobile USA, Boost Mobile, and Assurance Wireless; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. Newsweek ranked Sprint No. 6 in its 2010 Green Rankings, listing it as one of the nation’s greenest companies, the highest of any telecommunications company. You can learn more and visit Sprint at www.sprint.com or www.facebook.com/sprint and www.twitter.com/sprint.
1 Based on number of Sprint 4G subscribers vs. those on other wireless 4G (WiMAX and LTE) networks in the United States.
2 Casing includes 34.6 percent post-consumer recycled plastic content (the highest level in our eco-portfolio), and 82 percent of the device is made from recyclable materials.
3 Fully recyclable packaging incorporates 80 percent post-consumer waste material and uses soy inks.
4 Comparison based only on competitor pricing of monthly Web and data plans for Android-powered phones. Voice offers and limited time offers excluded.
Emmy Anderson, 913-707-0618