Cisco ASR 9000 Series and Cisco ME 3800X Series Carrier Ethernet Router/Switches Selected for Scale, Service Flexibility and IPv6 Readiness
SAN JOSE, Calif., August 15, 2011 – Consolidated Communications, a provider of communications services, has deployed the Cisco® Carrier Ethernet System to support new and upgraded services for residential and business customers in Illinois, Pennsylvania and Texas. The Cisco Carrier Ethernet System is a pre-tested, end-to-end network solution that minimizes the time and technical resources required to test and validate network performance.
Driven by customer demand for more high-definition channels, greater video-on-demand options and faster Internet access, the new Consolidated Communications network will provide the capacity and the end-to-end quality-of-service (QoS) necessary to ensure that one network can deliver a mix of consumer voice, video and data traffic along with mission-critical business services.
- Consolidated Communications is one of the largest independent local telephone companies in the nation, providing advanced communications services to residential and business customers. The services include local and long distance telephone, digital phone, high-speed Internet access and digital television.
- The Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers were chosen for their scalability to 100GE, multicast performance for efficient video distribution and ultra availability with the Cisco IOS® XR operating system.
- Consolidated Communications also selected the Cisco Carrier Ethernet System for IPv6, which is part of the Cisco Carrier Grade IPv6 solution, and is designed to allow existing IPv4 users to make the transition easily to IPv6. It provides end-to-end security, QoS and globally unique addresses. The primary motivation for IPv6 deployment is to meet current and future demand for globally unique Internet Protocol addresses.
- The Cisco multiservice and multi-technology network management system, known as Active Network Abstraction, was also chosen to enhance Consolidated Communications' operational efficiency and drive the automation of its operations support systems.
- Cisco, in its fifth annual Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast (2010-2015) released June 1, estimated the total amount of global Internet traffic to quadruple by 2015 and reach 966 exabytes per year. The projected increase of Internet traffic between 2014 and 2015 alone is 200 exabytes, greater than the sum of all Internet Protocol traffic created around the world in 2010.
- Tom White, vice president of engineering and network operations, Consolidated Communications
"Choosing the best-in-class Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network was a critical decision for our future. The Cisco ASR 9000 Series and Cisco Carrier Ethernet System position us to address the short-term needs of bandwidth consumption through a simplified efficient network core with a clear path to accommodate the technical and bandwidth needs of the future. With Cisco, we are able to spend time with customers and not building the network. We've gained more than 20 percent IPTV customers in the past year."
- Surya Panditi, senior vice president and general manager, core technology group, Cisco
"Consolidated Communications is at the forefront of providing advanced voice, video and data services for the home and business. Cisco is delighted to collaborate with Consolidated Communications and help it handle the surge in bandwidth demand on its Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network."
- Consolidated Communications
- Cisco Service Provider Solutions
- Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers
- Cisco ME 3800X Series Carrier Ethernet Switch Routers
- Cisco Network Management for Service Providers
- Cisco Carrier Ethernet Solutions
- Cisco VNI Forecast Web Site
- Cisco VNI Forecast and Methodology, 2010 to 2015 White Paper
- For more information about Cisco's service provider news and activities visit the SP360 Blog or follow us on Twitter @SP360
Cisco, ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Service Routers, ASR 9000, ASR, Carrier Ethernet, Core, Edge, Visual Networking Index Forecast, VNI, ME 3800X, Consolidated Communications, Tom White, Surya Panditi
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
About Consolidated Communications
Consolidated Communications (NASDAQ:CNSL, news, filings) is a family of companies providing advanced communications services to both residential and business customers in Illinois, Texas and Pennsylvania. The company offers a wide range of services over its technologically advanced IP-based network, including local and long distance telephone, Digital Phone, High-Speed Internet access and Digital TV. To learn more about Consolidated Communications, visit www.consolidated.com.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
- Kevin PetschowCisco847.firstname.lastname@example.org
Investor Relations Contacts
- Matthew TractenbergCisco Systems, Inc.+1 408 525 email@example.com
Industry Analyst Relations
- Carter CromwellCisco Systems, Inc.408 firstname.lastname@example.org