Integrated network and service management system for Ciena’s switching, transport and Carrier Ethernet platforms increases operational simplicity and ensures network resiliency
LINTHICUM, Md. — 06/13/2011
Ciena® Corporation (NASDAQ:CIEN, news, filings), the network specialist, today announced its OneControl Unified Management System, a critical component of its expanding software portfolio, that unifies visibility and control of wavelength, OTN and packet services from edge access through the network core. Designed as a seamless evolution of Ciena’s existing management platforms to protect and extend customer investments, OneControl delivers unique, multi-layer intelligence that supports a variety of capabilities – from reconfiguring wavelengths at Layer 0 up to monitoring and reporting on service level agreements at Layer 2 – all through a single user interface. OneControl also includes a fully customizable executive dashboard which provides an at-a-glance view of the status of the entire network and service capabilities.
• As networks and the equipment they are built on increasingly deliver converged packet-optical capabilities, it is resulting in new challenges for Network Operations Centers (NOCs) that now require tools to manage multiple service layers from a single system.
• Network operators are also faced with a limited view of the network, causing any end-to-end workflow – from provisioning to troubleshooting – to require a time-consuming process to manually correlate data from multiple people, processes and management systems.
• In addition, next generation control plane-enabled networks featuring packet-optical transport, OTN switching and Carrier Ethernet platforms are driving the need for more unified and intelligent software to dynamically turn bandwidth into new services, manage service levels and proactively address any issues before they impact end customers.
• OneControl is a single network and service management system that spans Ciena’s entire solutions portfolio and is an integral component in ensuring intelligent infrastructures for Ciena customers looking to efficiently maximize the flexibility, scalability and design of their next-generation core and metro networks.
• OneControl delivers a complete, multi-layer NOC management solution for the full service lifecycle of next generation networks, offering:
o efficient network deployment – automatic node and topology discovery, real-time view of network capacity, inventory management and reporting;
o rapid service provisioning – low-touch process that leverages multi-layer control plane and service templates;
o comprehensive service assurance – robust root-cause analysis, automatic correlation to effected services, and SLA monitoring; and
o seamless integration into back-office systems – open, standards-based northbound interfaces, Service Oriented Architecture, and support for TMF 814 and MTOSI.
• With initial capabilities generally available in the third quarter of this year, OneControl has already been ordered by multiple Ciena customers.
• “Software is the key to unlocking the true value of an OTN network down to the service level. Integrated management and control both through and across layers is a critical requirement for network operators to support rapid creation and rearrangement of services. Ciena’s network management and control plane software is used in several of the world’s largest optical networks.” – Ron Kline, principal analyst, network infrastructure at Ovum
• “The introduction of OneControl is an important milestone in the continued integration and evolution of our technology portfolio. This critical component of our software offerings allows us to offer customers a centralized system with end-to-end network and service management functionality that spans network layers and domains, resulting in a truly collaborative NOC environment with full network visibility.” – Steve Alexander, senior vice president and chief technology officer at Ciena Corporation
• Product Overview: OneControl
• Video: OneControl
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. With focused innovation, Ciena brings together the reliability and capacity of optical networking with the flexibility and economics of Ethernet, unified by a software suite that delivers the industry’s leading network automation. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-Q, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 9, 2011. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
(877) 857 -7377
(888) 243 6223