Extends Virtela’s Enterprise Services Cloud (ESC) to Provide Platform-Independent Mobile Device Management (MDM); Offers Real-Time Notification Guarantee
Key Enterprise Benefits:
- Faster time-to-service: Instant service turn-up via 50 Local Cloud Centers to 190+ countries
- Cost savings: Zero upfront charge, $5 per device, per month fee
- Proactive management: real-time monitoring and notification backed by global guarantee
DENVER – April 21, 2011 – Virtela, the world’s largest independent managed network, security and cloud services company, today announced the availability of the industry’s first global cloudbased mobile device management service, offering enterprises an easy approach to manage the explosive growth of smartphones and tablets, whether corporate- or employee-owned, that delivers faster service delivery and a faster return on investment. Virtela’s new cloud-based MDM Service leverages the company’s global cloud infrastructure and 24x7 support to proactively manage mobility policies, applications, security and costs to increase employee productivity while reducing the resource drain on enterprise IT staff.
The proliferation of smart devices in the enterprise – especially the surge in employee-owned devices – is overwhelming IT teams trying to balance users’ anytime, anywhere mobile access needs with corporate requirements to maintain the same level of management and security associated with business PCs. The constantly changing landscape of mobile device vendors and operating systems, plus the increasing use of these tools as primary computing devices, further compounds the complexities for enterprises seeking a unified global approach to mobile device management.
Virtela’s cloud-based MDM Service gives enterprises centralized control of their global mobility strategy via a single self-service portal – VirtelaViewSM – with follow-the-sun support by Virtela’s Network and Security Operation Centers a single phone call away. Virtela’s service leverages the company’s Enterprise Services Cloud (ESC) platform to provide a unified solution with unprecedented reach to 190+ countries, independent of the mobile operator or platform (including Apple iOS, Blackberry, Android, Windows Mobile and Symbian), and multi-language support.
Delivered via Virtela’s 50 Local Cloud Centers around the world, the new services can be turned up in minutes for a fraction of the cost of on-premise solutions. The Virtela service offers policy templates and initial set-up by specific user groups or roles, device configuration, and ongoing support, including proactive monitoring and notification. Automated alerts are generated for both IT staff and the end user if, for example, rogue application access is attempted or roaming/data usage thresholds are exceeded.
In tandem with the service, Virtela is announcing the first Real-Time Notification Service Level Agreement (SLA) for managed mobility services, which guarantees customers will be alerted within 15 minutes of mobile activities that compromise established corporate policies. According to Forrester Research, approximately half of all firms have already embraced a multiplatform mobile strategy, and more than half provide some support to personally-owned smartphones.1 “We're approaching a tipping point in mobile device consumerization at which users will push hard for access to the corporate network and basic work applications along with some level of IT support for both.” 2
“As we continue to make new acquisitions and grow the company globally, the complexity and urgency associated with managing large volumes of diverse mobile devices is becoming a higher priority,” said Dennis Hodges, CIO of global manufacturer Inteva Products. “Virtela’s cloud-based mobility services offer solutions for companies who require best-in-class support without increasing internal IT resources. These mobility services protect us from increased liability associated with downloading inappropriate applications or content, and ensure our ability to meet local compliance requirements around the world while offering end users great experience and tools.”
Key Virtela MDM Business Benefits
- Rapid Simple-Click Deployment. Companies can quickly ramp their managed mobility strategies by leveraging Virtela-provided security policies, simple-click configuration and provisioning, plus comprehensive granular control via the VirtelaView self-service portal.
- Real-Time Roaming Notification and Enforcement. The service quickly detects when roaming – as well as data, voice, and SMS – usage thresholds have been reached, and provides real-time alerts to the IT team as well as the end-user to avert service charges associated with unauthorized roaming or excessive data use.
- Enterprise App Store Management. Enterprises can distribute internal applications to mobile devices without going through vendor app stores and apply pre-set access policies with a single click. The service also provides the flexibility for IT or end users to update policies and initiate or schedule other processes, such as backup.
- In-Country Compliance Enforcement. Customers can perform configuration management and back up data within specific countries or regions to better meet local compliance and privacy laws. The service also uniquely features SMS text archiving and search to meet additional compliance requirements emerging in certain geographies.
- Centralized Control via VirtelaView. Companies gain a single view into their mobile device environment and can control access to key network resources and applications by specific user groups or lines of business. The portal can be white-labeled by enterprises or partners, and includes asset tracking and management (including mobile OS, service plans and applications by device), and security controls, such as remote lock and data wipes for lost or stolen devices.
“We’re excited to extend the proven benefits of Virtela’s advanced cloud service platform to managed mobility, giving customers the same savings, scalability and investment protection while lifting a significant IT burden,” said Virtela CEO B.V. Jagadeesh. “Virtela’s cloud MDM service is the latest addition to our portfolio of mobile enterprise services, such as our award-winning cloudbased remote access and largest global footprint for 3G/4G wireless networks, with more innovation come.”
Free 3-Month Trial & Other Resources
Virtela is offering a free three-month trial of the cloud-based MDM Service. For more information, please visit [link to landing page] or call +1-720-475-4445. Virtela’s cloud-based MDM Service can also be leveraged by Virtela’s current and new partners worldwide, and fully integrates with partners’ back-end systems to offer a seamless service to end customers. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional expert insight into securing the mobile workforce, listen to this new podcast from Nemertes Research – Securing and Managing the Mobile Workforce, Including Employee-Owned Devices – covering the key success factors for enterprise mobility initiatives.
1 Market Overview: Smartphone Management, Forrester Research, Inc., August 26, 2010
2 Personal Device Momentum Will Challenge Traditional Mobile Sourcing Strategies, Forrester Research, Inc., April 11, 2011
Virtela Technology Services Incorporated is the world’s largest independent managed network, security and cloud services company. Virtela offers an award-winning suite of services – including managed networks, security, application acceleration and proactive infrastructure management – to mid-market and Fortune 500 customers around the world. Virtela offers unparalleled geographic reach to more than 190 countries through its partnerships with more than 500 carriers.
Virtela is headquartered in Denver, Colorado, with globally distributed Network Operations Centers in the U.S., India and the Philippines. For more information, please call +1 (720) 475-4000 or visit www.virtela.net.