RICHMOND, VA – In a partnership focused on serving and educating the community, we are pleased to announce that nTelos Wireless will serve as the 2011-2013 Presenting Sponsor for the National Kidney Foundation (NKF) Kidney Walk in Charlottesville, Richmond, Roanoke, Virginia Beach and Charleston, West Virginia.
The Kidney Walk is a fun, inspiring community fundraiser that calls attention to the prevention of kidney disease and the need for organ donation. It's an opportunity for patients, transplant recipients, organ donors, family, friends, groups and businesses to come together to support the more than 26 million Americans - one in eight Virginia and West Virginia residents - living with chronic kidney disease.
“Because kidney disease is such a serious epidemic in the Virginias, nTelos Wireless is partnering with the National Kidney Foundation to raise awareness about risk factors and early detection,” said Conrad Hunter, president of nTelos Wireless. “As a regionally-based wireless services provider, this partnership is in line with our core principles of providing outstanding value with a commitment to family and community. The NKF is an organization that is making a difference in the lives of individuals in the communities where we have customers and employees, and we are excited about working with them to raise awareness.”
At-risk individuals - those with diabetes, high blood pressure, or a family history of kidney disease - should visit their doctor to get screened or attend one of the National Kidney Foundation’s Kidney Early Evaluation Program (KEEP) events, which screens at-risk adults free of charge. If kidney disease is detected in its early stages, steps can be taken to slow or prevent the progression to kidney failure. Once a person’s kidneys fail, they need dialysis or a kidney transplant in order to live.
“This new partnership with nTelos Wireless provides NKF with the critical support necessary to bring our cutting edge programs to those who live and work in the communities we both serve,” said Cathy Chisholm, regional vice president of the National Kidney Foundation. “Early detection saves lives and we are grateful to nTelos Wireless for their belief in our mission to prevent this insidious disease and improve the well being of families throughout our region. We look forward to celebrating our lifesaving partnership at the upcoming Kidney Walks.”
nTelos’ sponsorship will help support the following NKF initiatives:
- Kidney Disease Awareness – NKF builds public awareness about chronic kidney disease (CKD) and organ and tissue donation through local events, news media coverage, the “Love Your Kidneys” public service advertising campaign, an extensive, patient–friendly website, and a comprehensive library of free print and online resources on kidney health and treatment.
- Early Detection of Kidney Disease – Each year, NKF conducts hundreds of free Kidney Health Risk Assessments for the public and Kidney Early Evaluation Program (KEEP) screenings for people at risk for CKD.
- Encouraging More Organ Donations – NKF is a leader in promoting organ donation awareness. In 2009, NKF launched END THE WAIT!, a groundbreaking collaborative initiative to end the wait for kidney transplants within the U.S. in 10 years. NKF also organizes the Olympic–style U.S. Transplant Games to showcase the success of transplantation and need for organ donation.
- Advancing Clinical Care – NKF develops guidelines for the treatment of CKD and related conditions, and promotes use of them through clinical tools, continuing education courses, professional meetings and peer–reviewed medical journals.
- Supporting the Search for New Treatments – NKF funds research into the causes and treatment of kidney and related diseases and has awarded more than $90 million in grants to more than a thousand researchers.
- Advocating for Patients – NKF vigorously advocates for key issues of importance to kidney patients, transplant recipients, donors and their families in Congress and state legislatures. NKF’s “People Like Us” is the nation’s largest advocacy group for patients, recipients and donors.
- Improving Kidney Health Around the World – NKF manages Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KIDGO), a global nonprofit foundation dedicated to improving the care and outcomes of kidney patients worldwide. KEEP screenings are being implemented in Mexico and Japan and customized educational materials and services are available to government agencies and organizations around the world.
The Kidney Walks, which are expected to raise more than $325,000 this year, offer a family friendly environment with a Kids Corner, a wellness area, and various pre- and post-Walk activities. Registration begins at begins at 1:00 pm. The Walks begins at 2:00 pm.
To pre-register for the Kidney Walks, visit www.kidneyva.org, www.kidneywalk.org, or call 804-288-8342. Day of registration is also available.
The National Kidney Foundation, a major voluntary health organization, is dedicated to preventing kidney diseases, improving the health and well-being of individuals and families affected by these diseases and increasing the availability of all organs for transplantation.
NTELOS Holdings Corp. (NASDAQ:NTLS, news, filings) is an integrated communications provider with headquarters in Waynesboro, VA. NTELOS provides products and services to customers in Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Ohio, Tennessee, Maryland and North Carolina, including high-speed nationwide wireless voice and data services, local and long distance telephone, high capacity transport, networking and high-speed Broadband data services and IPTV-based video products. Detailed information about NTELOS is available at www.ntelos.com.