Mobile platform allows users to quickly download the latest BodyMedia applications and widgets along with a range of related health and fitness content
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), April 26, 2011 - BodyMedia, Inc., a pioneer in developing wearable body monitoring and complete weight management systems, today announced a new way for Sprint (NYSE:S, news, filings) customers to access their calorie input vs. output, understand their calorie balance and create personalized workouts on the go with the Sprint BodyMedia ID pack, a customized bundle of widgets, applications, wallpapers, ringtones and other content for Android devices.
As an alternative to searching through Android Market’s™ 150,000-plus apps, BodyMedia ID makes it easy for Sprint wireless customers with BodyMedia FIT Armbands to get the best health and fitness applications simply by clicking the BodyMedia ID icon on their device. Customers can then use a bundle of applications developed by BodyMedia and other leading third-party apps, such as BigOven and Facebook. A unique aspect of the BodyMedia ID pack is the use of animals and food animation to keep users engaged and motivated.
“Sprint ID is opening doors to further enhance the BodyMedia FIT user experience. By downloading the BodyMedia ID pack, our users’ wireless devices are automatically configured to optimize the value of mobile offering,” said Mark Handel, director of Software Development on BodyMedia-Sprint ID. “The BodyMedia ID pack is the first of several collaborations we hope to deliver in 2011 and 2012 through our partnership with Sprint.”
Earlier this year, BodyMedia announced Sprint as the exclusive wireless and location-based service provider for a new line of embedded wireless BodyMedia FIT Armbands and future wearable body monitors, set to launch in 2012. Similar to the existing BodyMedia FIT Armband, the embedded devices will still be worn around the upper left arm to collect health and fitness data, but will now use the Sprint machine-to-machine (M2M) platform to wirelessly send that information to the users’ smartphones. This mobile application can provide near real-time feedback and analysis.
The BodyMedia ID pack includes the following custom applications and widgets:
- BodyMedia FIT Application – Access your Activity Manager, view your Dashboard and log food. The app, along with the BodyMedia FIT Armband, gives real-time insight into your fitness activity and tracks workouts based upon calories burned, exercise level and even number of steps taken.
- BodyMedia FIT Dashboard widget – See your Activity Manager data in this portable view of calories burned, calories consumed, steps taken, physical activity and sleep. With the Bluetooth-enabled Armand BW, you see a real-time snapshot of your data.
- BodyMedia FIT Activity widget – Depicts your current activity level as a member of the animal kingdom. Are you a sloth or a humming bird today?
- BodyMedia FIT Workout widget – Set workout goals based on calories burned, minutes of activity, number of steps or keep it open ended. From here, monitor the status of your workout right from your home screen.
- BodyMedia FIT Sleep widget – View your sleep quantity and quality in a whole new way using visuals of sheep. What does your flock look like?
- BodyMedia Sleep News widget – Accumulates the latest sleep-related news from various sources on the Internet.
- BodyMedia FIT Nutrition widget – Quickly see where your calorie consumption stands in relation to your intake goal. The state of the apple, whether it’s whole or down to the core, represents how much more you can eat today.
- BodyMedia Nutrition News widget – Accumulates the latest nutrition-related news from various sources.
“Finding and installing the right applications is an essential part of the Android smartphone experience,” said Wayne Ward, vice president of Emerging Solutions Group, Sprint. “We’re pleased to offer leading brands like BodyMedia the ability to provide their customers with a customized starting point that offers an entire user experience based on user needs and interests.”
For more information on the BodyMedia ID pack, please visit www.bodymedia.com/sprintid. Customers with Sprint ID-capable devices can download up to five ID packs onto their phone and easily switch back and forth between them or swap them out for new ones. The BodyMedia ID pack is now available on four Android smartphones when activated on an Everything Data plan: LG Optimus S™, Sanyo Zio™ and Samsung Transform™ and Samsung Epic 4G™. Beginning May 8, Sprint ID will also be available on the Samsung Replenish, the first Android smartphone that is also eco-friendly from Sprint. Sprint ID is also available on Samsung Galaxy Tab. Visit www.sprint.com for current device prices.
About BodyMedia, Inc.
When your body talks, BodyMedia listens. BodyMedia has been unlocking and deciphering secrets of the body since 1999. Headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA, BodyMedia is the pioneer in developing wearable body monitoring systems designed to help people lose weight, improve performance, and lead healthier lives. Our patented multi-sensor technology provides continuous body-monitoring that tracks physical activity levels, calories expended and sleep patterns. What sets BodyMedia technology apart is our validated accuracy, our clinically proven outcomes and our FDA status as a Class II medical device. For more information, visit www.bodymedia.com.
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel served more than 49.9 million customers at the end of 2010 and is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including the first wireless 4G service from a national carrier in the United States; offering industry-leading mobile data services, leading prepaid brands including Virgin Mobile USA, Boost Mobile, and Assurance Wireless; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. Newsweek ranked Sprint No. 6 in its 2010 Green Rankings, listing it as one of the nation’s greenest companies, the highest of any telecommunications company. You can learn more and visit Sprint at www.sprint.com or www.facebook.com/sprint and www.twitter.com/sprint.
Mary Kunkel, 703-930-5290
Walter Fowler, 646-234-2122
Lauren Berg, 773-661-0700
Caryn Schoenbeck, 773-661-0700