Continued commitment to building Smart+Connected Communities in the state of Colorado fosters distance learning opportunities for students, regardless of location
Cisco is announcing the launch of remote learning programs within Colorado’s state and community higher education institutions. In its ongoing commitment to building Smart+Connected Communities in the state of Colorado, Cisco is actively working with the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs (UCCS), Otero Junior College and Lamar Community College to expand the reach and breadth of UCCS learning resources, with UCCS being the first public university in the country to offer courses via Cisco TelePresence. The university recently completed a successful initial pilot program offering robotics and EKG reading classes, with plans to roll out expanded course offerings based on its success with instructors and students.
Remote education facilitated by Cisco collaborative technologies provides UCCS, Otero Junior College and Lamar Community College students in the nursing and engineering programs with an education experience nearly identical to that of an in-person classroom session, allowing them to complete coursework essential to achieving degrees and continued education regardless of distance or location. Additionally, by bridging a gap between facilities that spans more than one hundred miles, student commute times are reduced or eliminated, promoting environmental sustainability.
- Wim Elfrink, chief globalisation officer and executive vice president, Cisco
- Pam Shockley-Zalabak, chancellor, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
- Nancy Smith, dean and Sue Davis, director, Beth-El College of Nursing and Health Sciences, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
- Bob Kressin, instructor, Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
- Denise Root, director, Nursing Program, Otero Junior College
- Students from University of Colorado at Colorado Springs and Otero Junior College
- Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 9:00 a.m. Pacific Time / 10:00 a.m. Mountain Time / 6:00 p.m. Central European Time / 10:30 p.m. India Standard Time
- Live via Cisco TelePresence in select U.S. cities including: Boulder, Colorado Springs and Englewood, CO; San Jose, CA; San Francisco, CA; New York, NY. For media interested in attending on site, please contact Kristine Relja at 415-593-8411 to RSVP.
- To attend the live broadcast, please visit http://www.ustream.tv/ciscotv. No registration is required. A replay of the event will be available shortly following the event at http://newsroom.cisco.com.
- The State of Colorado and Cisco Join Forces to Strengthen Social, Economic and Environmental Sustainability through Smart+Connected Communities < br>http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2010/prod_032410.html
About Cisco Smart+Connected Communities
Cisco Smart+Connected Communities uses intelligent networking capabilities to weave together people, services, community assets, and information into a single pervasive solution. “Smart+Connected” acknowledges the essential role of the network as the platform to help transform physical communities to connected communities. It also encapsulates a new way of thinking about how communities are designed, built, managed, and renewed to achieve social, economic, and environmental sustainability. To learn more, visit http://www.cisco.com/web/strategy/smart_connected_communities.html.
About Cisco Systems
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #