Extends Borderless Networks to the Outermost Edge of the LAN
SAN JOSE, Calif. – Jan. 10, 2011 – Cisco today introduced the Cisco® Catalyst® 3560-C and Catalyst 2960-C Compact Series (C-Series) Switches, expanding the Borderless Networks portfolio's ability to deliver highly secure, cost-effective network connectivity and power outside the wiring closet. The new switches are designed for locations that pose unique wiring, space or power challenges. The new Cisco C-Series Switches illustrate Cisco's commitment to solve unique customer challenges even in the most nontraditional of networking environments, as networks' expand their reach and scope.
Cisco C-Series Switches are compact versions of the Cisco Catalyst 3560-X Series and 2960-S Series, with the same functionality, OS and management capabilities as their wiring-closet brethren, and are roughly half the size of an Xbox console. Cisco C-Series Switches enable the deployment of highly secure advanced customer services, including unified communications, wireless access, IP video and other applications in wiring-, space-, and power-constrained environments. With Cisco's industry-first pass-through Power over Ethernet (PoE) capability, the C-Series Switches eliminate the need for access to power outlets and dramatically reduce cabling complexities and overall infrastructure requirements.
- Caters to a wide variety of industries. Just as Cisco's Industrial Ethernet 3000 and 3010 Series Switches provide much-needed connectivity in harsh manufacturing environments, such as those subject to extreme temperature fluctuations, vibrations, and other challenging conditions, so the Cisco Catalyst C-Series Switches are designed to enable the agile delivery of network services in environments where unique wiring challenges would otherwise require the disruption of regular business operations. Such environments include those in:
- retail (point of sale, kiosk, checkout counter and warehouse)
- education (classroom, dormitory and laboratory)
- health care (doctor's office, patient check-in counter, exam room and labs)
- hospitality/entertainment (hotel room, cruise ship cabin, conference room, and slot machine floor or other gaming area)
- offices (FSI trading turret, Shared/Temp workspace, Japan desk island, German work cube)
- Dramatically reduces cabling costs. C-Series Switches eliminate the need for expensive individual cable drops for network endpoints and the wiring complexities of running cables to locations far from the wiring closet — for example, check-out kiosks at the front of a big-box store.
- Enables flexible device placement for deployment anywhere, at anytime. C-Series Switches can be deployed up to 100 meters away from the wiring closet. They are sleek and quiet (fanless) and can be installed on or underneath desktops and countertops or on walls. New devices can be quickly added without requiring additional cable drops.
- Eliminates the need for power outlets for the switch itself and for IP devices, via industry-first Pass-through PoE. Pass-through PoE technology powers Internet Protocol devices in locations without access to power outlets. Cisco C-Series Switches can draw power from an upstream (PoE+/PoE-capable) switch or a router in the wiring closet, to power itself and to drive power downstream to the IP devices connected to it.
- Delivers unparalleled security. When devices are deployed far from the wiring closet, protecting them from unauthorized user or device access, eavesdropping, or theft becomes a unique challenge. The C-Series Switches set themselves apart from other solutions with Cisco TrustSec, the industry's most comprehensive network security solution. With Cisco TrustSec:
- Network data remains protected because all packets between the switch and the end device are encrypted right at the source. This is a unique solution from Cisco.
- Strict security policies can be implemented based on user IDs, organizational roles, and device types –another unique solution from Cisco. This enables highly secure and flexible collaboration between users anywhere on the network.
- Malicious users can be proactively blocked from eavesdropping on the conversation or data transmission between two endpoints.
- Theft of the switch and unauthorized access to the cables can be prevented with an optional security lock and cable guard.
- The C-Series Switches are also PCI-compliant, making them ideal to help ensure regulatory compliance for payment transactions.
- Reduces energy costs. Cisco EnergyWise technology delivers the capability to monitor, manage and reduce the energy consumption of the devices connected to the switch. Devices can be turned off and powered down when they are not needed, allowing businesses to generate additional cost savings.
- Simplifies setup and unifies network management. The C-Series Switches feature Cisco Catalyst Smart Operations for "zero touch" setup and quick troubleshooting, and Cisco Auto Smartports for automatically configuring the switch based on the types of devices that connect to it. Automatic quality of service enables state-of-the-art QoS implementation for IP telephony and video with just one command. Cisco's unique quality of service guarantees consistent voice and video quality even in the face of high network traffic. The C-Series Switches can be remotely managed along with the switches in the wiring closet, significantly reducing setup and management costs by not requiring teams of IT experts on call.
The Cisco Catalyst C-Series switches are on display this week in the Cisco booth (2529) at the National Retail Federation's 100th Annual Convention & Expo at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York City this week.
- Rob Soderbery, senior vice president and general manager, Ethernet Switching Technology Group, Cisco
"The C-Series Switches exemplify the customer-driven innovation that Cisco is known for. Today's organizations are packing more networked devices into more challenging environments; from hospitality to health care, new business needs are driving new requirements for the access network. The C-Series Switches are powerful compact managed switches that provide all the Borderless Networks capabilities and benefits found in Cisco's enterprise-class Catalyst 2960 and 3560 Series Switches."
About Cisco Systems
Cisco, (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings), the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, this year celebrates 25 years of technology innovation, operational excellence and corporate social responsibility. Information on Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
Cisco, the Cisco logo, Cisco Systems and Cisco IOS are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.