Pilot Projects Aim to Incorporate Green and Collaborative Technologies to Set Standards in Residential Construction
TORONTO, Ont. – Jan. 13, 2011 – The Holmes Group and Cisco today announced a collaborative relationship to explore opportunities in the residential construction sector. The Holmes Group and Cisco will collaborate to define and identify solutions which integrate Smart+Connected Real Estate into eco-friendly communities – with the aim of supporting the responsible economic, environmental and technological sustainability of model communities.
The collaboration will explore opportunities to provide mixed-use residential developments, led by Mike Holmes, with Cisco network and communication platforms to increase access and sharing of information, assist in planning and construction best practices, and incorporate skills development to increase efficiency, lower costs, and promote superior construction standards. Benefits to homeowners include improved connectivity, increased energy efficiency and savings through automated home energy-management tools, reduced maintenance, and increased longevity of home systems.
The companies are currently working on two pilot projects that will showcase the potential of these platforms as a model for environmental innovation around the world.
Facts and Highlights:
- Cisco will join The Holmes Group and the national Assembly of First Nations in a pilot project focused on re-establishing indigenous environmental stewardship and self-determination through building sustainable and efficient homes, enhancing community design and planning, and integrating appropriate green technologies and clean energy sources to improve the health and living conditions in First Nations communities. The pilot project will be located at Atikameksheng Anishnawbek, formerly known as Whitefish Lake First Nation, in northern Ontario.
- Cisco will also collaborate with The Holmes Group on Wind Walk in southern Alberta, a sustainably planned mixed-use community featuring 457 high-performance green homes and self-supporting infrastructure designed to reduce consumption and its impact on the surrounding environment.
- Both initiatives explore opportunities to utilize Cisco's Collaboration, Smart+Connected Communities and Smart Grid technologies to set new standards in residential design.
- Mike Holmes, president, The Holmes Group
"It's time we take responsibility and start thinking about building sustainably. We need to focus on durability. We need to reduce our carbon footprints for future generations. If we start building smart homes within smart communities that are connected to a smart grid that allows energy to flow two ways it will increase our home efficiency. Technology and communication add a new dimension that makes this possible– it's what I call the fourth utility. Together with Cisco we aim to establish a new global standard in community development through giving homeowners the tools they need to reduce the energy they use with improved value and quality."
- Nitin Kawale, president, Cisco Canada
"This collaboration is a significant step toward defining new community-planning models and establishing Smart +Connected Community solutions as the standard in residential construction. We look forward to working with The Holmes Group to not only showcase the capabilities of energy management and collaboration through these pilot projects, but also to assist in establishing a network of resources to support industry education and community skills development."
- Holmes Group / Make It Right
- Holmes Community - Wind Walk
- Assembly of First Nations pilot – Building Homes and Building Skills
- Cisco Smart +Connected Communities
- Cisco Connected Grid
- Cisco and Holmes Group Collaborate to Develop Community of the Future
About The Holmes Group
The Holmes Group brand promise is to Make It Right® and to improve the quality of life for homeowners everywhere through education, change in the practice of construction and promotion of environmentally sustainable communities. Visit www.makeitright.ca for more information.
Cisco, (NASDAQ:CSCO, news, filings), is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to News@Cisco and News@Cisco Canada.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
- Karin Scott Cisco Systems, Inc. +1 416 306 7164 email@example.com