New Single Device Option Offers Simple End-to-End Wireless Home and Office Networking
- CLEAR 4G Home Service Plans with Unlimited Data Usage Start at $35/Month
- Fast Home Networking with 802.11n; Compatible with 802.11b/g
- Clearwire 4G Network Now Covers 103 Million People in 68 Markets
KIRKLAND, Wash., Dec 02, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) --
Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR, news, filings), a leading provider of wireless broadband services and operator of the first 4G network in the country, today announced the availability of the Clear Modem with Wi-Fi. The new modem brings super fast CLEAR(R) 4G service to the home or office, simplifying local area networking with an end-to-end wireless solution. The Clearwire 4G network offers average mobile download speeds of 3 to 6 mbps with bursts over 10 mbps.*
"Now our customers can get broadband Wi-Fi internet throughout their house, with one simple device about the size of a book - and without a rat's nest of wires," said Mike Sievert, Chief Commercial Officer at Clearwire. "Our new Clear Modem with Wi-Fi makes it easier than ever to connect the Wi-Fi devices that customers already have at home, such as laptops and desktops, tablets, iPods, and smartphones, without needing a wired connection to the cable or phone company."
The Clear Modem with Wi-Fi is part of a growing ecosystem of nearly 70 devices on the market today that enable customers to connect to CLEAR 4G. The Clear Modem with Wi-Fi offers secure Wi-Fi connectivity to 802.11b/g/n capable devices and supports Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista 32/64, Windows 7 32/64 and Mac OS8 or higher.
Price and Availability
The Clear Modem with Wi-Fi is available nationwide from http://www.clear.com and from CLEAR retail stores and authorized dealers beginning today. The Clear Modem with Wi-Fi can be purchased for $120 or leased for $7 per month. Monthly data service starts at $35. CLEAR home service customers can add home voice service, with unlimited local and long distance calling in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico, for just $15 per month.
Stay Connected - At Home or On the Go
Clearwire offers multiple ways, in addition to the Clear Modem with Wi-Fi, to connect to CLEAR 4G service - via a modem, mobile device, or a 4G-embedded laptop or netbook.
Clear Spots(R): Clear Spots are personal mobile hotspots that allow users to easily and securely share unlimited internet access anywhere CLEAR has coverage simultaneously with up to eight Wi-Fi-enabled devices. The Clear Spot 4G brings 4G to Wi-Fi devices such as laptops, smartphones, and portable gaming devices. The Clear Spot 4G+ allows power users and road warriors to stay connected across the U.S. by automatically switching from 4G and connecting to Sprint's 3G nationwide network outside the 4G coverage area. The iSpotTM is made exclusively for Apple mobile devices** including the iPadTM, iPod touch(R) and iPhone(R). The Clear Spot 4G and iSpot each cost $99 or the Clear Spot 4G can be leased for $5 a month. The Clear Spot 4G+ costs $225 or can be leased for $9 per month. Clear Spots can be purchased at www.clear.com/spot.
Clear 4G+ Mobile USB: Mobile users simply plug-in the compact Clear 4G+ Mobile USB into their laptop to get online. This dual-mode 4G/3G modem gives users access to the 4G network in the CLEAR coverage area and to 3G coverage nationwide. The Clear 4G+ Mobile USB costs $115 or can be leased monthly for $6.
Embedded 4G WiMAX Laptops: Customers can also select from more than 45 different 4G WiMAX-ready laptops and netbooks with Intel(R) CoreTM or AtomTM processors and the embedded Intel(R) wireless module Advanced-N + WiMAX from leading manufacturers including Dell, HP, Sony, Lenovo, Toshiba, Samsung, Gateway, and Asus. All of these operate on CLEAR, and more than 20 of these 4G WiMAX-ready laptops are now available at Best Buy stores and at www.bestbuy.com.
Clearwire's 4G Network in 2010
CLEAR 4G service is currently available in 68 markets across the United States, including: Sacramento, Merced, Visalia, Los Angeles, Modesto and Stockton, Calif.; New Haven and Hartford, Conn.; central Washington, D.C.; Wilmington, Del.; Miami, Tampa Bay, Orlando, Daytona Beach and Jacksonville, Fla.; Atlanta and Milledgeville, Ga.; Honolulu and Maui, Hawaii; Boise, Idaho; Chicago, Ill.; Boston, Mass.; Baltimore, Md.; Grand Rapids, Mich.; Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minn.; St. Louis and Kansas City, Mo.; Charlotte, Raleigh, and Greensboro, N.C.; Trenton and New Brunswick, N.J.; New York, Syracuse and Rochester, N.Y.; Las Vegas, Nev.; Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland, Ohio; Salem, Portland and Eugene, Ore.; Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Reading, Lancaster and York, Pa.; Providence, R.I.; Nashville, Tenn.; Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Abilene, Amarillo, Corpus Christi, Killeen/Temple, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Waco and Wichita Falls, Texas; Salt Lake City, Utah; Richmond, Va.; Seattle, Tri-Cities, Yakima and Bellingham, Wash. By the end of 2010, CLEAR 4G will also be available in other major metropolitan areas such as Denver and the San Francisco Bay Area.
For more information about CLEAR, visit The CLEAR Blog www.theclearblog.com. You can also follow CLEAR information on Twitter at @Clear. Information about Clearwire is available at http://www.clearwire.com. For press and broadcast: images, video and company logos are available from the Clearwire Newsroom at www.clearwire.com/newsroom. To subscribe to Clearwire's RSS news feed, click here.
Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ: CLWR), through its operating subsidiaries, is a leading provider of wireless broadband services. Clearwire's 4G network currently provides coverage in areas of the U.S. where approximately 103 million people live, and the company plans to continue to expand its 4G coverage. Clearwire's open all-IP network, combined with significant spectrum holdings, provides an unprecedented combination of speed and mobility to deliver next generation broadband access. The company markets its 4G service through its own brand called CLEAR(R) as well as through its wholesale relationships with Sprint, Comcast and Time Warner Cable. Strategic investors include Intel Capital, Comcast, Sprint, Google, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House Networks. Clearwire is headquartered in Kirkland, Wash. Additional information is available at www.clearwire.com.
*Speed claims based on download speeds only. Actual performance may vary and is not guaranteed. CLEAR performance claim is based on average download user speeds achieved during tests performed on the CLEAR commercial network by CLEAR. Other carrier performance based on their advertised claims.
**Apple does not endorse Clearwire products or services and is not affiliated with Clearwire.
Unlimited plans subject to CLEAR's Acceptable Use Policy, posted at www.clear.com/legal/aup.
Clearwire, CLEAR, and the CLEAR logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Clearwire Communications LLC in the United States and/or other countries. All other company or product names are trademarks of their respective owners.
This release, and other written and oral statements made by Clearwire from time to time, contains forward-looking statements which are based on management's current expectations and beliefs, as well as on a number of assumptions concerning future events made with information that is currently available. Forward-looking statements may include, without limitation, management's expectations regarding future financial and operating performance and financial condition; proposed transactions; network development and market launch plans; strategic plans and objectives; industry conditions; the strength of the balance sheet; and liquidity and financing needs. The words "will," "would," "may," "should," "estimate," "project," "forecast," "intend," "expect," "believe," "target," "designed," "plan" and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Readers are cautioned not to put undue reliance on such forward- looking statements, which are not a guarantee of performance and are subject to a number of uncertainties and other factors, many of which are outside of Clearwire's control, which could cause actual results to differ materially and adversely from such statements. Some factors that could cause actual results to differ are:
- We are an early-stage company with a history of operating losses and we expect to continue to realize significant net losses for the foreseeable future.
- Our current and future plans are subject to a number of conditions and uncertainties, including among others, our ability to manage ongoing market development activities, our performance in launched markets and our access to additional funding.
- We regularly evaluate our plans, and we may elect to pursue new or alternative strategies which we believe would be beneficial to our business, including among other things, modifying the pace at which we build our 4G mobile broadband networks, augmenting our network coverage in markets we launch, changing our sales and marketing strategy and or acquiring additional spectrum. Such modifications to our plans could significantly change our capital requirements.
- We believe that we require substantial additional financing to maintain our current business plans, and if we are unable to raise such financing on acceptable terms we will need to modify our plans accordingly.
- We may fail to realize all of the anticipated benefits of the transactions with Sprint and the strategic investors.
- We have deployed a wireless broadband network based on mobile WiMAX technology, and would incur significant costs to deploy alternative technologies. Additionally, such alternative technologies may not perform as we expect on our network and deploying such technologies would result in additional risks to the company.
- We currently depend on our commercial partners to develop and deliver the equipment for our legacy and mobile WiMAX networks.
- Many of our competitors are better established and have significantly greater resources, and may subsidize their competitive offerings with other products and services.
- Our substantial indebtedness and restrictive debt covenants could limit our financing options and liquidity position and may limit our ability to grow our business.
- Sprint Nextel Corporation owns a majority of our shares, resulting in Sprint holding a majority voting interest in the Company, and Sprint may have, or may develop in the future, interests that may diverge from other stockholders.
- Future sales of large blocks of our common stock may adversely impact our stock price.
For a more detailed description of the factors that could cause such a difference, please refer to Clearwire's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the information under the heading "Risk Factors" in our Annual Report on Form 10-K filed on February 24, 2010 and our Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q filed on November 4, 2010. Clearwire assumes no obligation to update or supplement such forward-looking statements.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=6529015&lang=en
SOURCE: Clearwire Corporation
National Media and Industry Analysts JLM Partners for Clearwire Mike DiGioia or Jeremy Pemble, 206-381-3600 email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or Midwest, Northeast, Southeast Regions Media Contact Clearwire Corporation Chris Comes 312-282-0539 (mobile) 847-993-9661 (office) email@example.com or Western Region Media Contact Clearwire Corporation Debra Havins, 303-210-7269 (mobile) firstname.lastname@example.org