LUXEMBOURG, 5 October 2010 — Skype today announced the release of Skype for Android™, a client for mobile handsets, built for smartphones running Android OS version 2.1 or above. With this latest release, the majority of smart phone users globally will now be able to experience the benefits of Skype on the move using either a WiFi or mobile data connection (GPRS, EDGE, 3G). Skype for Android is downloadable for free from the Android Market or consumers can visit www.skype.com/m to find out more details about how to get the application.
Skype for Android enables users to:
- Make free Skype-to-Skype calls over WiFi or mobile data connection (GPRS, EDGE, 3G)* to other Skype users anywhere in the world using Skype’s SILK codec for CD-like audio quality.
- Make low rate Skype calls to landline or mobile phones
- Send and receive instant messages to one or a group of friends on Skype
- Synchronize contacts between Skype and the native address book and after synchronization place Skype calls directly from the native address book.
- See when Skype contacts are online and available to call or chat
- Easily import names and numbers to the Skype application from the native address book
- Receive calls on their Skype online number
Mark Douglas, Product Manager of Android said: “The Skype experience is ubiquitous today. More and more people are using Skype to do things together when apart. With the addition of Android, we are pleased that Skype is now available on three of the most popular mobile platforms today: Android, iOS and Symbian”
Resources for Media
- If you wish to talk to a Skype spokesperson, please use our media contact form.
- Photos for download can be found in our media library.
- You can find a blog post and a video explaining Skype for Android on Skype’s blog.
Skype for Android™ works on compatible handsets running Android OS v2.1 and above and has been tested successfully by Skype on HTC Desire, HTC Legend, Google Nexus One, Motorola Milestone XT720, and Motorola Milestone. Skype for Android™ supports the following languages: Brazilian Portuguese, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Swedish, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese.
In the US, Skype for Android works over WiFi only. Skype for Android is not available in China and Japan at this moment. Operator charges may apply when consumers use data or roam over 3G, EDGE, GPRS.
Skype is software that enables the world’s conversations. Millions of individuals and businesses use Skype to make free video and voice calls, send instant messages and share files with other Skype users. Everyday, people everywhere also use Skype to make low-cost calls to landlines and mobiles. Download Skype to your computer or mobile phone at www.skype.com.