Clearwire and UQ Communications Provide Customers with International 4G Roaming Option
- Day Pass Extends 4G Coverage to CLEAR(R) Customers Abroad
- Provides Unlimited Data Usage While Travelling Throughout Covered Markets in Japan and U.S.
- Work Continues with Global Alliance Partners to Offer International Roaming in Additional Countries Around the World
KIRKLAND, Wash., Sep 21, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) —
Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR, news, filings), a leading provider of wireless broadband services and operator of the largest 4G network in the country, today announced that it has launched 4G roaming services with UQ Communications of Japan. Clearwire and UQ have collaborated to offer their customers the ability to take 4G speeds beyond their borders and to leverage true mobile broadband like never before. Available today, Clearwire and UQ customers using Intel(TM) WiMAX embedded netbooks and notebooks will be able to sign-up for a Day Pass and use unlimited data while travelling throughout the covered markets in Japan and the United States.
“The ability to offer mobile broadband access at home and abroad will quickly become a key differentiator for wireless data providers around the world,” said Dave Maquera, Chief Strategy Officer at Clearwire. “This initial effort lays the groundwork for additional international roaming options and demonstrates Clearwire’s commitment to developing global roaming capabilities now and into the future.”
“Expanding our customers’ access to true mobile broadband service in the U.S. is an important step for UQ,” said Akio Nozaka of UQ Communications. “Clearwire’s rapidly growing 4G footprint and unmatched spectrum position will provide our users with the speed and capacity needed for advanced wireless data services as we expand our services globally.”
Clearwire and UQ currently offer 4G services in their respective domestic markets. Clearwire provides CLEAR 4G mobile broadbandservice to consumers and businesses. With CLEAR, anyone can use the internet at speeds four times faster than 3G* – whether at home, in the office, or on-the-go within the CLEAR coverage area. CLEAR subscribers traveling to Japan can get a UQ WiMAX day pass for 600 JPY (approximately USD$6-7). UQ provides UQ WiMAX wireless internet service to more than 90 percent of the population in 15 of Japan’s largest cities, including Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya.
Clearwire is actively working with its Global Alliance Partners and other international service providers to offer the same capability in different countries around the world.
Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR), through its operating subsidiaries, is a leading provider of wireless broadband services. Clearwire’s 4G network is currently available in areas of the U.S. where approximately 63 million people live and the company plans to continue to expand its 4G coverage. Clearwire’s open all-IP network, combined with significant spectrum holdings, provides an unprecedented combination of speed and mobility to deliver next generation broadband access. The company markets its 4G service through its own brand called CLEAR(R) as well as through its wholesale relationships with Sprint, Comcast and Time Warner Cable. Strategic investors include Intel Capital, Comcast, Sprint, Google, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House Networks. Clearwire is headquartered in Kirkland, Wash. Additional information is available at http://www.clearwire.com.
*Speed claims based on download speeds only. Actual performance may vary and is not guaranteed. CLEAR performance claim is based on average download user speeds achieved during tests performed on the CLEAR commercial network by CLEAR. Other carrier performance based on their advertised claims.
Clearwire, CLEAR and the CLEAR logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Clearwire Communications LLC in the United States and/or other countries. All other company or product names are trademarks of their respective owners.
This release, and other written and oral statements made by Clearwire from time to time, contains forward-looking statements which are based on management’s current expectations and beliefs, as well as on a number of assumptions concerning future events made with information that is currently available. Forward-looking statements may include, without limitation, management’s expectations regarding future financial and operating performance and financial condition; proposed transactions; network development and market launch plans; strategic plans and objectives; industry conditions; the strength of the balance sheet; and liquidity and financing needs. The words “will,” “would,” “may,” “should,” “estimate,” “project,” “forecast,” “intend,” “expect,” “believe,” “target,” “designed,” “plan” and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Readers are cautioned not to put undue reliance on such forward- looking statements, which are not a guarantee of performance and are subject to a number of uncertainties and other factors, many of which are outside of Clearwire’s control, which could cause actual results to differ materially and adversely from such statements. Some factors that could cause actual results to differ are:
- We are an early-stage company with a history of operating losses and we expect to continue to realize significant net losses for the foreseeable future.
- Our current and future plans are subject to a number of conditions and uncertainties, including among others, our ability to manage ongoing market development activities (including the development of over 10,000 sites), our performance in launched markets and our access to additional funding.
- We regularly evaluate our plans, and we may elect to pursue new or alternative strategies which we believe would be beneficial to our business, including among other things, modifying the pace at which we build our 4G mobile broadband networks, augmenting our network coverage in markets we launch, changing our sales and marketing strategy and or acquiring additional spectrum. Such modifications to our plans could significantly change our capital requirements.
- We believe that we require substantial additional financing to maintain our current business plans, and if we are unable to raise such financing on acceptable terms we will need to modify our plans accordingly.
- We may fail to realize all of the anticipated benefits of the transactions with Sprint and the strategic investors.
- We have deployed a wireless broadband network based on mobile WiMAX technology, and would incur significant costs to deploy alternative technologies. Additionally, such alternative technologies may not perform as we expect on our network and deploying such technologies would result in additional risks to the company.
- We currently depend on our commercial partners to develop and deliver the equipment for our legacy and mobile WiMAX networks.
- Many of our competitors are better established and have significantly greater resources, and may subsidize their competitive offerings with other products and services.
- Our substantial indebtedness and restrictive debt covenants could limit our financing options and liquidity position and may limit our ability to grow our business.
- Sprint Nextel Corporation owns a majority of our shares, resulting in Sprint holding a majority voting interest in the Company, and Sprint may have, or may develop in the future, interests that may diverge from other stockholders.
- Future sales of large blocks of our common stock may adversely impact our stock price.
For a more detailed description of the factors that could cause such a difference, please refer to Clearwire’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the information under the heading “Risk Factors” in our Annual Report on Form 10-K filed on February 24, 2010 and our Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q filed on August 5, 2010. Clearwire assumes no obligation to update or supplement such forward-looking statements.
SOURCE: Clearwire Corporation
National Media and Industry Analysts - JLM Partners for Clearwire Mike DiGioia 206-819-9032 (mobile) 206-381-3600 (office) firstname.lastname@example.org or Clearwire Media: Michael Nank 425-636-5927 (office) 206-351-3504 (cell) email@example.com