Consumers and Businesses Now Have Access to Unlimited Mobile Internet Service Four Times Faster Than 3G
- Dual-mode 4G/3G Modems Keep Customers Connected Throughout the Region
- 4G Mobile Internet Promotion Available at Clear.com
ORLANDO, Fla., Sep 20, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) --
Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR, news, filings), a leading provider of wireless broadband services and operator of the largest 4G network in the country, today announced the availability of CLEAR(R) 4G, take-it-with-you internet service for businesses and consumers in Orlando. With CLEAR, anyone can now use the internet at speeds four times faster than 3G*, whether at home, in the office, or on-the-go within CLEAR coverage.
In Orlando, CLEAR covers nearly 1.4 million people. Regionally, service extends as far north as Lake Mary, as far south as Kissimmee, east to Waterford Lakes and west to Winter Garden. A detailed coverage map of CLEAR 4G service is available at www.clear.com/coverage.
"Whether you're visiting Orlando theme parks or attending a business convention, CLEAR 4G can keep you connected with the nation's newest and fastest mobile internet service," said Marc Brachman, regional general manager for CLEAR.
For a limited time, new customers can take advantage of CLEAR's online-only mobile internet promotion to receive a 50 percent discount on their service plan for the first two months, with overnight shipping included and no activation fee. This promotion is available at www.clear.com/florida.
A CLEAR Difference
The CLEAR experience is similar to Wi-Fi but without the short-range limitations. CLEAR uses wireless 4G technology that differs from Wi-Fi because it provides service areas measured in miles, not feet. CLEAR also offers average mobile download speeds of 3 to 6 mbps with bursts over 10 mbps.* Outside the CLEAR 4G service area, dual-mode 4G/3G modems keep users continually connected by leveraging Sprint's 3G data network.
With CLEAR, people stay better connected and more productive. For example:
- A travelling business executive no longer needs to seek out Wi-Fi hotspots or be constrained by the speeds and limitations of 3G modem cards;
- A college student can now have affordable internet service whether at home, on campus or on-the-go;
- A commuter can now work on large files or stream their favorite shows while riding the bus or train;
- A busy parent can now keep kids occupied studying or playing games in the back of the family minivan.
Unlike service plans from traditional wireless carriers which cap data usage, CLEAR offers unlimited 4G usage plans that do not require long-term service contracts. In most markets unlimited 4G coverage from CLEAR starts at $35 for the home while unlimited mobile plans start as low as $45. Bundled services such as Home and On-The-Go and Home and Voice plans start at $60 per month.
Simply Plug-In and Go
Clearwire offers several ways to connect to CLEAR 4G service - via a modem, mobile device, or a 4G-embedded laptop or netbook.
Clear Spots(R): Clear Spots are personal mobile hotspots that allow users to easily and securely share unlimited internet access anywhere CLEAR has coverage simultaneously with up to eight Wi-Fi-enabled devices. The Clear Spot 4G brings 4G to Wi-Fi devices such as laptops, smartphones, and portable gaming devices. The Clear Spot 4G+ allows power users and road warriors to stay connected across the U.S. by automatically switching from 4G and connecting to Sprint's 3G nationwide network outside the 4G coverage area. The iSpotTM is made exclusively for Apple mobile devices** including the iPadTM, iPod touch(R) and iPhone(R). The Clear Spot 4G and iSpot each cost $99.99 or the Clear Spot 4G can be leased for $4.99 a month. The Clear Spot 4G+ costs $224.99 or can be leased for $5.99 per month. Clear Spots can be purchased at www.clear.com/spot and from CLEAR stores and authorized dealers.
Clear 4G+ Mobile USB: Mobile users simply plug-in the compact Clear 4G+ Mobile USB into their laptop to get online. This dual-mode 4G/3G modem gives users access to the 4G network in the CLEAR coverage area and to 3G coverage nationwide. The Clear 4G+ Mobile USB costs $114.99 or can be leased monthly for $5.99.
Home Modems: For residential service, CLEAR offers a wireless high-speed modem. Customers simply plug the modem into a power outlet anywhere in their home or office and connect the modem to their PC or wireless router. This enables consumers and businesses to easily install high-speed internet service without scheduling an appointment, drilling holes in their walls, or otherwise disrupting their day. The Clear Home Modem can be purchased for $84.99 or leased for $4.99 monthly.
Embedded 4G WiMAX Laptops: CLEAR customers can also select from one of 35 different 4G-ready laptops and netbooks with Intel(R) CoreTM or AtomTM(R) wireless module Advanced-N + WiMAX from leading manufacturers including Dell, Lenovo, Samsung, and Toshiba. A detailed list of 4G-ready laptops and netbooks is available at www.clear.com. 4G-ready laptops can also be purchased at Best Buy stores nationwide. processors and the embedded Intel
CLEAR 4G products and services are available for purchase by going online at www.clear.com/florida, calling 1-877-499-6681, or visiting a CLEAR retail store or other authorized CLEAR dealer. A CLEAR retail store is located at Altamonte Mall in Altamonte Springs. CLEAR service is also available from other outlets including Best Buy and Radio Shack.
Clearwire's 4G Network in 2010
CLEAR 4G service is currently available in 54 markets across the United States, including: Nashville, Tenn.; Boston, Mass.; Orlando, Daytona Beach and Jacksonville, Fla.; Providence, R.I.; Wilmington, Del.; Grand Rapids, Mich.; Syracuse and Rochester, N.Y.; Atlanta and Milledgeville, Ga.; Baltimore, Md.; Boise, Idaho; Chicago, Ill.; Las Vegas, Nev.; St. Louis and Kansas City, Mo.; Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Reading, Lancaster and York, Pa.; Charlotte, Raleigh, and Greensboro, NC; Honolulu and Maui, Hawaii; Seattle, Tri-Cities, Yakima and Bellingham, Wash.; Salem, Portland and Eugene, Ore.; Merced, Visalia, Modesto and Stockton, Calif.; Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Abilene, Amarillo, Corpus Christi, Killeen/Temple, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Waco and Wichita Falls, Texas; central Washington, D.C.; Richmond, Va.; and Salt Lake City, Utah.
By the end of 2010, CLEAR 4G will also be available in major metropolitan areas such as New York City, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, Denver, Minneapolis, Miami, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Pittsburgh.
For more information about CLEAR, visit www.clear.com/florida or The CLEAR Blog www.theclearblog.com. You can also follow CLEAR information on Twitter at @Clear. Information about Clearwire is available at http://www.clearwire.com. For press and broadcast: images, video and company logos are available from the Clearwire Newsroom at www.clearwire.com/newsroom. To subscribe to Clearwire's RSS news feed, click here.
Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ: CLWR), through its operating subsidiaries, is a leading provider of wireless broadband services. Clearwire's 4G network is currently available in areas of the U.S. where approximately 62 million people live and the company plans to continue to expand its 4G coverage. Clearwire's open all-IP network, combined with significant spectrum holdings, provides an unprecedented combination of speed and mobility to deliver next generation broadband access. The company markets its 4G service through its own brand called CLEAR(R) as well as through its wholesale relationships with Sprint, Comcast and Time Warner Cable. Strategic investors include Intel Capital, Comcast, Sprint, Google, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House Networks. Clearwire is headquartered in Kirkland, Wash. Additional information is available at www.clearwire.com.
*Speed claims based on download speeds only. Actual performance may vary and is not guaranteed. CLEAR performance claim is based on average download user speeds achieved during tests performed on the CLEAR commercial network by CLEAR. Other carrier performance based on their advertised claims.
**Apple does not endorse Clearwire products or services and is not affiliated with Clearwire.
Unlimited plans subject to CLEAR's Acceptable Use Policy, posted at www.clear.com/legal/aup.
Clearwire, CLEAR, and the CLEAR logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Clearwire Communications LLC in the United States and/or other countries. All other company or product names are trademarks of their respective owners.
This release, and other written and oral statements made by Clearwire from time to time, contains forward-looking statements which are based on management's current expectations and beliefs, as well as on a number of assumptions concerning future events made with information that is currently available. Forward-looking statements may include, without limitation, management's expectations regarding future financial and operating performance and financial condition; proposed transactions; network development and market launch plans; strategic plans and objectives; industry conditions; the strength of the balance sheet; and liquidity and financing needs. The words "will," "would," "may," "should," "estimate," "project," "forecast," "intend," "expect," "believe," "target," "designed," "plan" and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Readers are cautioned not to put undue reliance on such forward- looking statements, which are not a guarantee of performance and are subject to a number of uncertainties and other factors, many of which are outside of Clearwire's control, which could cause actual results to differ materially and adversely from such statements. Some factors that could cause actual results to differ are:
- We are an early-stage company with a history of operating losses and we expect to continue to realize significant net losses for the foreseeable future.
- Our current and future plans are subject to a number of conditions and uncertainties, including among others, our ability to manage ongoing market development activities (including the development of over 10,000 sites), our performance in launched markets and our access to additional funding.
- We regularly evaluate our plans, and we may elect to pursue new or alternative strategies which we believe would be beneficial to our business, including among other things, modifying the pace at which we build our 4G mobile broadband networks, augmenting our network coverage in markets we launch, changing our sales and marketing strategy and or acquiring additional spectrum. Such modifications to our plans could significantly change our capital requirements.
- We believe that we require substantial additional financing to maintain our current business plans, and if we are unable to raise such financing on acceptable terms we will need to modify our plans accordingly.
- We may fail to realize all of the anticipated benefits of the transactions with Sprint and the strategic investors.
- We have deployed a wireless broadband network based on mobile WiMAX technology, and would incur significant costs to deploy alternative technologies. Additionally, such alternative technologies may not perform as we expect on our network and deploying such technologies would result in additional risks to the company.
- We currently depend on our commercial partners to develop and deliver the equipment for our legacy and mobile WiMAX networks.
- Many of our competitors are better established and have significantly greater resources, and may subsidize their competitive offerings with other products and services.
- Our substantial indebtedness and restrictive debt covenants could limit our financing options and liquidity position and may limit our ability to grow our business.
- Sprint Nextel Corporation owns a majority of our shares, resulting in Sprint holding a majority voting interest in the Company, and Sprint may have, or may develop in the future, interests that may diverge from other stockholders.
- Future sales of large blocks of our common stock may adversely impact our stock price.
For a more detailed description of the factors that could cause such a difference, please refer to Clearwire's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the information under the heading "Risk Factors" in our Annual Report on Form 10-K filed on February 24, 2010 and our Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q filed on August 5, 2010. Clearwire assumes no obligation to update or supplement such forward-looking statements.
SOURCE: Clearwire Corporation
National Media and Industry Analysts - JLM Partners for Clearwire Mike DiGioia, 206-819-9032 (mobile) 206-381-3600 (office) email@example.com or Local Eastern Region Media Clearwire Corporation Jim Grimes, 214-803-5385 (mobile) firstname.lastname@example.org