- 4G Network Expands to Cover 725 Square Miles in Baltimore
- Dean Young named CLEAR General Manager for the Baltimore Market
- Consumers and Businesses Now Have Access to Mobile Internet Service Significantly Faster Than 3G
- Customers Can Purchase Dual-mode 4G/3G Modems to Stay Connected Throughout the Region
- 4G Mobile Internet Promotion Available for the First Two Months With $50 Service Credit at Clear.com
BALTIMORE, Jun 01, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) –Clearwire Communications, LLC, an operating subsidiary of Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR, news, filings), announced today it has extended its 4G reach throughout the Baltimore area. With the launch, the company is introducing the CLEAR brand to the marketplace. With CLEAR’s super fast 4G service, consumers and businesses located in the Baltimore area will be able to enjoy wireless access to the Internet at true broadband speeds – whether at home, working from the road, streaming movies online, playing multi-player online games, or watching Hulu on the go – anywhere in the CLEAR coverage area.
CLEAR(R) now covers 725 square miles and approximately 1.7 million people in the Baltimore metro area. Regionally, service extends as far north as Bel Air, as far south as Annapolis and southwest as Columbia, west to Owings Mills, and east to Dundalk and Essex. A detailed coverage map of today’s service area is available at www.clear.com\coverage.
For a limited time, customers in Baltimore can take advantage of CLEAR’s online-only mobile Internet promotion with plans starting as low as $15 per month for the first two months after a $50 service credit. This online promotion is available at www.clear.com.
The company also named Dean Young as general manager for the market.
“CLEAR is thrilled to expand our service offering to Baltimore residents, businesses and visitors a super fast Internet experience similar to what they’re used to having at home or the office, anywhere around town or on the go,” said Dean Young, CLEAR general manager for Baltimore. “Baltimore has been a pioneer city in providing high speed wireless Internet service on the East coast. CLEAR is proud to carry on that tradition by providing blazing fast 4G speeds for residents.”
Also today, Clearwire announced the launch of CLEAR in central Washington, D.C. and Kansas City, Kansas.
A CLEAR Difference
The CLEAR customer experience is similar to that provided by Wi-Fi, but without the short-range limitations of a traditional Internet hotspot. CLEAR uses WiMAX, a wireless 4G technology that differs from Wi-Fi because it provides service areas measured in miles, not feet. Furthermore, CLEAR gives users average mobile download speeds of 3 to 6 mbps with bursts over 10 mbps.* Outside of the CLEAR 4G service area, dual-mode 4G/3G connectivity is available which provides expanded coverage using the fastest service available for regional travelers by leveraging Sprint’s 3G data network.
As the Internet integrates deeper into daily life, the opportunities to stay connected and be productive are enhanced by CLEAR in numerous ways. For example:
- A mobile professional no longer needs to seek out Wi-Fi hotspots or be constrained by the speeds and limitations of 3G modem cards;
- A college student or retiree can now have affordable Internet service to meet their needs at home, on campus and on-the-go;
- A commuter can now work or access entertainment sites like Hulu or Pandora on the way to and from home;
- A busy parent can now have full Internet connectivity for kids studying or playing games in the back of the family minivan.
For these and many other customers, CLEAR’s simple and innovative pricing provides ultimate flexibility. CLEAR’s mobile and residential plans can be purchased by the day or by the month, with several no-service-contract options available. Home Internet service plans start at $30 per month. CLEAR 4G unlimited mobile Internet plans start at $40 per month. For a limited time, customers in Washington D.C. can take advantage of CLEAR’s online-only mobile Internet promotion with plans starting at $15 per month for the first two months after a $50 service credit. This online promotion is available at http://www.clear.com.
Additional savings are available for customers purchasing a combination of services such as Home and On-The-Go, Home and Voice and combination On-The-Go plans. Combination plans start at $50 per month. In addition, CLEAR 4G+ offers customers access to the entire Clearwire 4G network plus 3G mobile Internet service outside the CLEAR service area for $55 per month. Visitors or occasional users with a 4G-enabled device can also purchase a convenient 4G day pass for $10.
Full details about CLEAR products, service plans and options for business customers can be found online at http://www.clear.com, via telesales (1-877-499-6681), at a CLEAR retail store, or by visiting an authorized CLEAR dealer. CLEAR retail stores in Baltimore are located at: Arundel Mills Mall, Columbia Mall, Harborplace & The Gallery, Mondawmin Mall, Towson Town Center, and White Marsh Mall.
CLEAR service is also available from a number of other outlets including Best Buy, Micro Center and RadioShack.
Simply Plug-In and Go
CLEAR offers several simple choices for broadband connectivity.
- CLEAR USB Modem and CLEAR 4G+ Mobile Modem: Mobile users simply plug-in CLEAR’s compact, mobile 4G-enabled USB modem into their laptop to get online. The USB modem is available for only $64.99 or leased for just $3.99 per month. Customers can purchase the modem from a store or online. Customers who travel across the U.S. may purchase the CLEAR 4G+ Mobile USB, a dual-mode (4G/3G) modem from CLEAR. The dual-mode capabilities give the truly mobile user access to the 4G network in the CLEAR coverage area and 3G coverage nationwide. The 4G+ Mobile USB is available to lease for only $5.99 per month.
- Residential Data & Voice Services: For residential service, CLEAR offers customers a wireless high-speed modem, about the size of a small book. Customers simply plug the modem into a power outlet anywhere in their home or office and connect the modem to their PC or wireless router. This enables consumers and businesses to install high-speed Internet service without the need to schedule an appointment, drill holes in their walls, or otherwise disrupt their day. The CLEAR Home Modem Series G can be purchased for $79.99 or leased for just $4.99 monthly. Residential customers can also add in-home voice service with purchase of the CLEAR Voice Adapter. There are 3 packages to choose from – Basic Home CLEAR Internet with Voice, Get Two, or Get Three – all with flat monthly rates.
- Clear SpotTM: With the Clear Spot, any existing, off-the-shelf Wi-Fi device can connect to CLEAR’s 4G network. The Clear Spot creates a personal Wi-Fi hotspot that travels with consumers anywhere they happen to be within CLEAR’s 4G service area. This $49.99 device is a portable, battery-powered router that seamlessly connects up to eight standard Wi-Fi-enabled devices (computers, mobile phones, portable gaming, consoles, cameras, etc.) to the CLEAR 4G network via a Clear USB modem. The Clear Spot is compatible with both the CLEAR 4G and CLEAR 4G+ 4G/3G mobile USB service options.
- Intel Embedded WiMAX Laptops: Clearwire customers can also select from one of 30 different 4G-ready Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 embedded netbooks and notebooks from leading manufacturers including Dell, Lenovo, Samsung, and Toshiba. A detailed list of CLEAR-ready laptops is available at www.clear.com.
Clearwire 4G Markets in 2010
CLEAR service is currently available in cities across the United States, including: Atlanta and Milledgeville, GA; Baltimore, MD; Boise, ID; Chicago, IL; Las Vegas, NV; Kansas City, KS, Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Reading, Lancaster and York, PA; Charlotte, Raleigh, and Greensboro, NC; Honolulu and Maui, HI; Seattle and Bellingham, WA; Portland, OR; and Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Abilene, Amarillo, Corpus Christi, Killeen/Temple, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Waco and Wichita Falls, TX; and central Washington, D.C.
In the summer of 2010, CLEAR service will extend to Jacksonville and Daytona, FL; Nashville, TN; St. Louis, MO; Salt Lake City, UT; Merced, Modesto, Stockton, and Visalia, CA; Wilmington, DE; Grand Rapids, MI; Eugene, OR; Richmond, VA; and Yakima and Tri-Cities, WA.
By the end of 2010, Clearwire’s 4G network is expected to cover up to 120 million people, including additional cities such as New York City, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, Boston, Denver, Minneapolis, Miami, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Pittsburgh.
For more information about CLEAR, visit http://www.clear.com or The Clear Blog www.theclearblog.com. You can also follow CLEAR information on Twitter at @Clear_Events. Detailed company information about Clearwire is available at http://www.clearwire.com.
For press and broadcast: Product images, video footage and company logos can be downloaded from the Clearwire website at: http://newsroom.clearwire.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=214419&p=imagegallery. To subscribe to Clearwire’s RSS news feed, click here.
CLEAR, an operating subsidiary of Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR), is a leading provider of mobile broadband services. Our 4G network is currently available in areas of the U.S. where approximately 44 million people live and the company plans to continue to expand our 4G coverage. Clearwire’s open all-IP network, combined with significant spectrum holdings, provides an unprecedented combination of speed and mobility to deliver next generation broadband access. The company markets its service through its own brand called CLEAR(R) as well as through its wholesale relationships with Sprint, Comcast and Time Warner Cable. Strategic investors include Intel Capital, Comcast, Sprint, Google, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House Networks. Clearwire is headquartered in Kirkland, Wash., additional information is available at http://www.clearwire.com.
*Speed claims based on download speeds only. Actual performance may vary and is not guaranteed. CLEAR performance claim is based on average download user speeds achieved during tests performed on the CLEAR commercial network by CLEAR. Other carrier performance based on their advertised claims.
This release, and other written and oral statements made by Clearwire from time to time, contains forward-looking statements which are based on management’s current expectations and beliefs, as well as on a number of assumptions concerning future events made with information that is currently available. Forward-looking statements may include, without limitation, management’s expectations regarding future financial and operating performance and financial condition; proposed transactions; network development and market launch plans; strategic plans and objectives; industry conditions; the strength of the balance sheet; and liquidity and financing needs. The words “will,” “would,” “may,” “should,” “estimate,” “project,” “forecast,” “intend,” “expect,” “believe,” “target,” “designed,” “plan” and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Readers are cautioned not to put undue reliance on such forward- looking statements, which are not a guarantee of performance and are subject to a number of uncertainties and other factors, many of which are outside of Clearwire’s control, which could cause actual results to differ materially and adversely from such statements. Some factors that could cause actual results to differ are:
- We are an early-stage company with a history of operating losses and we expect to continue to realize significant net losses for the foreseeable future.
- Our current and future plans are subject to a number of conditions and uncertainties, including among others, our ability to manage ongoing market development activities (including the development of over 10,000 sites), our performance in launched markets and our access to additional funding.
- We regularly evaluate our plans, and we may elect to pursue new or alternative strategies which we believe would be beneficial to our business, including among other things, modifying the pace at which we build our 4G mobile broadband networks, augmenting our network coverage in markets we launch, changing our sales and marketing strategy and or acquiring additional spectrum.
- If our business fails to perform as we expect, or if we elect to pursue new plans or strategies, we may be required to raise substantial additional financing, and if we are unable to raise such financing on acceptable terms we may need to modify our plans accordingly.
- We may fail to realize all of the anticipated benefits of the transactions with Sprint and the strategic investors.
- We are committed to using commercially reasonable efforts to deploy wireless broadband networks based solely on mobile WiMAX technology, even if there are alternative technologies available in the future that are technologically superior or more cost effective.
- We currently depend on our commercial partners to develop and deliver the equipment for our legacy and mobile WiMAX networks.
- Many of our competitors are better established and have significantly greater resources, and may subsidize their competitive offerings with other products and services.
- Our substantial indebtedness and restrictive debt covenants could limit our financing options and liquidity position and may limit our ability to grow our business.
- Sprint Nextel Corporation owns a majority of our shares, resulting in Sprint holding a majority voting interest in the Company, and Sprint may have, or may develop in the future, interests that may diverge from other stockholders.
- Future sales of large blocks of our common stock may adversely impact our stock price.
For a more detailed description of the factors that could cause such a difference, please refer to Clearwire’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the information under the heading “Risk Factors” in our Annual Report on Form 10-K filed on February 24, 2010 and our Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q filed on May 6, 2010. Clearwire assumes no obligation to update or supplement such forward-looking statements.
SOURCE: Clearwire Communications, LLC
CLEAR Media Relations Chris Comes 312-282-0539 (mobile) 847-993-9661 (office) firstname.lastname@example.org or JLM Partners for CLEAR Mike DiGioia 206-819-9032 (mobile) 206-381-3600 (office) email@example.com