- New CLEAR 4G and 4G+ Personal Wi-Fi Hotspots plus 4G/3G Mobile USB Extend Unlimited 4G Data Plans to More Mobile Devices
- New USB Modem Brings National 4G/3G Service to Apple Laptops and PCs
- CLEAR’s Uncapped Mobile Broadband Experience Available For Netbooks, Notebooks, Gaming, Entertainment, Social Media and Numerous Other Devices and Services
KIRKLAND, Wash., Jun 17, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) –Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR, news, filings), a leading provider of wireless broadband services, today announced the upcoming availability of three new products that will extend the potential for super-fast speeds and unlimited 4G usage plans to the millions of mobile devices available today.
The latest suite of devices, the CLEAR SpotTM 4G, CLEAR Spot 4G+, and the CLEAR 4G+ Mobile USB, bring new 4G connectivity possibilities to a wide range of Wi-Fi-enabled laptops, netbooks, smartphones, and other connected devices – without the worries or hassles of tiered or capped usage plans.
The CLEAR Spot 4G offers the speed and flexibility of a personal Wi-Fi hotspot, simultaneously connecting multiple Wi-Fi devices at 4G speeds, while the CLEAR Spot 4G+ adds the option of allowing users to easily and securely use nationwide 3G coverage when outside the 4G coverage area. In addition, the CLEAR 4G+ Mobile USB modem is the first dual-mode mobile USB from CLEAR to deliver 4G and nationwide 3G Internet coverage to the MacBook and MacBook Pro along with other non-Mac devices.
“In today’s on-the-go world, everyone deserves fast speeds and the usage they want at a fair price – without constantly checking their usage or worrying about their end-of-month bill,” said Dow Draper, vice president of product development for Clearwire. “These new devices offer today’s mobile user, and the millions of Wi-Fi products in use across the country, even greater access to CLEAR’s fast and affordable 4G service.”
With CLEAR(R) super-fast mobile Internet service, users can experience average mobile download speeds of 3 to 6 mbps with bursts over 10 mbps*, using Clearwire’s 4G network. Unlike service plans from traditional wireless carriers which cap data usage, CLEAR offers unlimited 4G usage plans that do not require long-term service contracts. In most markets, unlimited 4G coverage from CLEAR starts at $30 for the home, while unlimited mobile plans start as low as $40. Bundled services such as Home and On-The-Go and Home and Voice plans start at $55 per month. CLEAR service is currently available in dozens of cities, in areas of the United States where approximately 51 million people live. A detailed map of service availability can be found at http://www.clear.com/coverage.
The New CLEAR Mobile Hotspots and USB
The CLEAR Spot 4G is a personal mobile hotspot allowing users to easily and securely share unlimited super-fast Internet access anywhere CLEAR has coverage simultaneously with up to eight Wi-Fi-enabled devices, including laptops, smartphones, and portable gaming devices. The CLEAR Spot 4G is manufactured by InfoMark and will be available for purchase at $99.99 or for a $4.99 monthly lease. It can be preordered today at http://www.clear.com/spot and will be available nationwide at CLEAR stores and authorized dealers in July.
The CLEAR Spot 4G+ allows power users and road warriors alike to stay connected across the U.S. by automatically switching from 4G and connecting to Sprint’s 3G nationwide network outside the 4G coverage area. The CLEAR Spot 4G+ enables users to securely share the connection with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices all at the same time. The CLEAR Spot 4G+ is manufactured by Sierra Wireless and will be available to purchase for $224.99 or to lease for $5.99 per month. It can be preordered today at http://www.clear.com/spot and will be available nationwide at CLEAR stores and authorized dealers in July.
CLEAR 4G+ Mobile USB (Series S)
Clearwire already offers two 4G-only USB modems for Mac users, but today introduced the company’s first dual-mode 4G/3G modem available for Mac users, the CLEAR 4G+ Mobile USB. When not in the 4G coverage area, the modem will automatically switch to the Sprint 3G network to provide more ubiquitous data connectivity around the country. The 4G+ Mobile USB is compatible with MacBook and MacBook Pro laptops using Mac OS X Versions 10.5.x and 10.6.x. The new USB also supports netbooks and notebooks running Windows XP SP2, Vista and Windows 7, all in 32- and 64-bit versions. The new 4G+ Mobile USB is manufactured by Sierra Wireless.
The 4G+ USB can be purchased for $114.99 or leased monthly for $5.99. It is available today at http://www.clear.com/4Gplus-usb and in stores in Atlanta, Dallas, Hawaii and Harrisburg, Lancaster, Reading and York, PA. The CLEAR 4G+ Mobile USB will be available in all 4G markets beginning July 1st.
Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR), through its operating subsidiaries, is a leading provider of mobile broadband services. Our 4G network is currently available in areas of the United States where approximately 51 million people live, and the company plans to continue to expand its 4G coverage. Clearwire’s open all-IP network, combined with significant spectrum holdings, provides an unprecedented combination of speed and mobility to deliver next-generation broadband access. The company markets its service through its own brand, called CLEAR(R), as well as through its wholesale relationships with Sprint, Comcast and Time Warner Cable. Strategic investors include Intel Capital, Comcast, Sprint, Google, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House Networks. Clearwire is headquartered in Kirkland, Wash. Additional information is available at http://www.clearwire.com.
*Speed claims based on download speeds only. Actual performance may vary and is not guaranteed. CLEAR performance claim is based on average download user speeds achieved during tests performed on the CLEAR commercial network by CLEAR. Other carrier performance based on their advertised claims.
Clearwire and CLEAR are trademarks or registered trademarks of Clearwire Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
All other company or product names are trademarks of their respective owners. Use of these product names does not indicate official support or endorsement of Clearwire or its service.
This release, and other written and oral statements made by Clearwire from time to time, contains forward-looking statements which are based on management’s current expectations and beliefs, as well as on a number of assumptions concerning future events made with information that is currently available. Forward-looking statements may include, without limitation, management’s expectations regarding future financial and operating performance and financial condition; proposed transactions; network development and market launch plans; strategic plans and objectives; industry conditions; the strength of the balance sheet; and liquidity and financing needs. The words “will,” “would,” “may,” “should,” “estimate,” “project,” “forecast,” “intend,” “expect,” “believe,” “target,” “designed,” “plan” and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Readers are cautioned not to put undue reliance on such forward-looking statements, which are not a guarantee of performance and are subject to a number of uncertainties and other factors, many of which are outside of Clearwire’s control, which could cause actual results to differ materially and adversely from such statements. Some factors that could cause actual results to differ are:
- We are an early-stage company with a history of operating losses and we expect to continue to realize significant net losses for the foreseeable future.
- Our current and future plans are subject to a number of conditions and uncertainties, including, among others, our ability to manage ongoing market development activities (including the development of over 10,000 sites), our performance in launched markets and our access to additional funding.
- We regularly evaluate our plans, and we may elect to pursue new or alternative strategies which we believe would be beneficial to our business, including, among other things, modifying the pace at which we build our 4G mobile broadband networks, augmenting our network coverage in markets we launch, changing our sales and marketing strategy and or acquiring additional spectrum.
- If our business fails to perform as we expect, or if we elect to pursue new plans or strategies, we may be required to raise substantial additional financing, and if we are unable to raise such financing on acceptable terms we may need to modify our plans accordingly.
- We may fail to realize all of the anticipated benefits of the transactions with Sprint and the strategic investors.
- We are committed to using commercially reasonable efforts to deploy wireless broadband networks based solely on mobile WiMAX technology, even if there are alternative technologies available in the future that are technologically superior or more cost effective.
- We currently depend on our commercial partners to develop and deliver the equipment for our legacy and mobile WiMAX networks.
- Many of our competitors are better established and have significantly greater resources, and may subsidize their competitive offerings with other products and services.
- Our substantial indebtedness and restrictive debt covenants could limit our financing options and liquidity position and may limit our ability to grow our business.
- Sprint Nextel Corporation owns a majority of our shares, resulting in Sprint holding a majority voting interest in the Company, and Sprint may have, or may develop in the future, interests that may diverge from other stockholders.
- Future sales of large blocks of our common stock may adversely impact our stock price.
For a more detailed description of the factors that could cause such a difference, please refer to Clearwire’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the information under the heading “Risk Factors” in our Annual Report on Form 10-K filed on February 24, 2010, and our Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q filed on May 6, 2010. Clearwire assumes no obligation to update or supplement such forward-looking statements.
SOURCE: Clearwire Corporation
National Media and Industry Analysts:
JLM Partners for Clearwire
Local Eastern Region Media Contact:
Local Western Region Media Contact: