Consumers and Businesses Now Have Access to Unlimited Mobile Internet Service Four Times Faster than 3G
- CLEAR Also Launches Today in St. Louis and Richmond, Virginia
- 4G Network Covers Nearly 450 Square Miles from Ogden to Provo
- Dual-mode 4G/3G Modems Keep Customers Connected Throughout the Region
- 4G Mobile Internet Promotion Available at Clear.com
Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR, news, filings), a leading provider of wireless broadband services, today announced the availability of CLEAR(R) 4G, a super fast mobile Internet service for businesses and consumers in the greater Salt Lake area. With CLEAR, anyone can now use the Internet at speeds four times faster than 3G* - whether at home, in the office, or on the go - within the CLEAR coverage area.
Along the Wasatch Front, CLEAR covers nearly 450 square miles and more than 790,000 people. Service extends as far north as Ogden, including Weber to the north and Layton to the south. In the Salt Lake City area, the coverage includes the I-15 corridor from 2100 North to Bangerter Highway in the south and from West Jordan to the East Bench. CLEAR service also covers downtown Provo to Lehi.
In conjunction with today's launch in Salt Lake City, Clearwire also launched CLEAR 4G in St. Louis, Mo. and Richmond, Va. A detailed coverage map of CLEAR 4G service is available at www.clear.com/coverage.
"With CLEAR, Utahns now have a fast, mobile Internet connection that goes with them wherever they may travel along the Wasatch Front," said Greg Smith, regional general manager for CLEAR. "And, we're excited to offer affordable rate plans with no limits on the amount of data customers use. No caps on usage, no penalties or hidden fees - our customers use the Web as much as they want wherever they go - it's that simple."
For a limited time, customers can take advantage of CLEAR's online-only mobile Internet promotion with plans starting as low as $20 per month for the first two months after a $50 service credit. This promotion is available at www.clear.com/utah.
A CLEAR Difference
The CLEAR experience is similar to Wi-Fi but without the short-range limitations. CLEAR uses WiMAX, a wireless 4G technology that differs from Wi-Fi because it provides service areas measured in miles, not feet. CLEAR also offers average mobile download speeds of 3 to 6 mbps with bursts over 10 mbps.* Outside the CLEAR 4G service area, dual-mode 4G/3G modems keep users continually connected by leveraging Sprint's 3G data network.
With CLEAR, people stay better connected and more productive. For example:
- A travelling business executive no longer needs to seek out Wi-Fi hotspots or be constrained by the speeds and limitations of 3G modem cards;
- A college student can now have affordable Internet service whether at home, on campus or on-the-go;
- A commuter can now work on large files or stream their favorite shows while riding the bus or train;
- Families on summer road trips can now keep kids occupied studying or playing games in the back of the family minivan.
Unlike service plans from traditional wireless carriers which cap data usage, CLEAR offers unlimited 4G usage plans that do not require long-term service contracts. In most markets unlimited 4G coverage from CLEAR starts at $35 for the home while unlimited mobile plans start as low as $45. Bundled services such as Home and On-The-Go and Home and Voice plans start at $60 per month.
Simply Plug-In and Go
Clearwire offers several ways to connect to CLEAR 4G service - via a modem, mobile device, or a 4G-embedded laptop or netbook.
CLEAR 4G Mobile Hotspots: The CLEAR Spot 4G is a personal mobile hotspot allowing users to easily and securely share unlimited super fast Internet access anywhere CLEAR has coverage simultaneously with up to eight Wi-Fi-enabled devices including laptops, smartphones, and portable gaming devices. The CLEAR Spot 4G+ allows power users and road warriors to stay connected across the U.S. by automatically switching from 4G and connecting to Sprint's 3G nationwide network outside the 4G coverage area. The CLEAR Spot 4G+ enables users to securely share the connection with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices at the same time. The CLEAR Spot 4G costs $99.99 or can be leased for $4.99 a month. The CLEAR Spot 4G+ costs $224.99 or can be leased for $5.99 per month. The CLEAR Spot products can be preordered at www.clear.com/spot and will available nationwide at CLEAR stores and authorized dealers in July.
CLEAR 4G+ Mobile USB: Mobile users simply plug-in the compact CLEAR 4G+ Mobile USB into their laptop to get online. This dual-mode 4G/3G modem gives users access to the 4G network in the CLEAR coverage area and to 3G coverage nationwide. The CLEAR 4G+ Mobile USB costs $114.99 or can be leased monthly for $5.99.
Home Modems: For residential service, CLEAR offers customers a wireless high-speed modem, about the size of a small book. Customers simply plug the modem into a power outlet anywhere in their home or office and connect the modem to their PC or wireless router. This enables consumers and businesses to install high-speed Internet service without the need to schedule an appointment, drill holes in their walls, or otherwise disrupt their day. The CLEAR Home Modem can be purchased for $84.99 or leased for $4.99 monthly.
Embedded 4G WiMAX Laptops: CLEAR customers can also select from one of 32 different 4G-ready laptops and netbooks with Intel(R) CoreTM or AtomTM processors and the embedded Intel(R) wireless module Advanced-N + WiMAX from leading manufacturers including Dell, Lenovo, Samsung, and Toshiba. A detailed list of 4G-ready laptops and netbooks is available at www.clear.com. 4G-ready laptops can also be purchased at Best Buy stores nationwide.
CLEAR 4G products and services are available for purchase by going online at www.clear.com/utah, calling 1-877-499-6681, or visiting a CLEAR retail store or other authorized CLEAR dealer. CLEAR retail stores in Salt Lake City are located at: Fashion Place Mall, Layton Hills Mall, South Town Mall, and University Mall.
Clearwire's 4G Network in 2010
CLEAR 4G service is currently available in cities across the United States, including: Atlanta and Milledgeville, Ga.; Baltimore, Md.; Boise, Idaho; Chicago, Ill.; Las Vegas, Nev.; St. Louis and Kansas City, Mo.; Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Reading, Lancaster and York, Pa.; Charlotte, Raleigh, and Greensboro, NC; Honolulu and Maui, Hawaii; Seattle and Bellingham, Wash.; Salem and Portland, Ore.; Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Abilene, Amarillo, Corpus Christi, Killeen/Temple, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Waco and Wichita Falls, Texas; central Washington, D.C.; Richmond, Va.; and Salt Lake City, Utah.
In the summer of 2010, CLEAR 4G will launch in the Tri-Cities and Yakima, Wash.; Eugene, Ore.; Syracuse and Rochester, N.Y.; Tampa, Orlando and Daytona, Fla.; Nashville, Tenn.; Merced, Visalia, Modesto and Stockton, Calif.; Wilmington, Del.; and Grand Rapids, Mich. By the end of 2010, CLEAR 4G will also be available in major metropolitan areas such as New York City, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, Boston, Denver, Minneapolis, Miami, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Pittsburgh.
For more information about CLEAR, visit www.clear.com/utah or The CLEAR Blog www.theclearblog.com. You can also follow CLEAR information on Twitter at @Clear_Events. Information about Clearwire is available at http://www.clearwire.com. For press and broadcast: product images, video footage and company logos can be downloaded from the Clearwire Newsroom at www.clearwire.com/newsroom. To subscribe to Clearwire's RSS news feed, click here.
Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR), through its operating subsidiaries, is a leading provider of wireless broadband services. Clearwire's 4G network is currently available in areas of the U.S. where approximately 51 million people live and the company plans to continue to expand its 4G coverage. Clearwire's open all-IP network, combined with significant spectrum holdings, provides an unprecedented combination of speed and mobility to deliver next generation broadband access. The company markets its 4G service through its own brand called CLEAR(R) as well as through its wholesale relationships with Sprint, Comcast and Time Warner Cable. Strategic investors include Intel Capital, Comcast, Sprint, Google, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House Networks. Clearwire is headquartered in Kirkland, Wash. Additional information is available at www.clearwire.com.
Clearwire and CLEAR are trademarks or registered trademarks of Clearwire Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. All other company or product names are trademarks of their respective owners.
*Speed claims based on download speeds only. Actual performance may vary and is not guaranteed. CLEAR performance claim is based on average download user speeds achieved during tests performed on the CLEAR commercial network by CLEAR. Other carrier performance based on their advertised claims.
This release, and other written and oral statements made by Clearwire from time to time, contains forward-looking statements which are based on management's current expectations and beliefs, as well as on a number of assumptions concerning future events made with information that is currently available. Forward-looking statements may include, without limitation, management's expectations regarding future financial and operating performance and financial condition; proposed transactions; network development and market launch plans; strategic plans and objectives; industry conditions; the strength of the balance sheet; and liquidity and financing needs. The words "will," "would," "may," "should," "estimate," "project," "forecast," "intend," "expect," "believe," "target," "designed," "plan" and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Readers are cautioned not to put undue reliance on such forward- looking statements, which are not a guarantee of performance and are subject to a number of uncertainties and other factors, many of which are outside of Clearwire's control, which could cause actual results to differ materially and adversely from such statements. Some factors that could cause actual results to differ are:
- We are an early-stage company with a history of operating losses and we expect to continue to realize significant net losses for the foreseeable future.
- Our current and future plans are subject to a number of conditions and uncertainties, including among others, our ability to manage ongoing market development activities (including the development of over 10,000 sites), our performance in launched markets and our access to additional funding.
- We regularly evaluate our plans, and we may elect to pursue new or alternative strategies which we believe would be beneficial to our business, including among other things, modifying the pace at which we build our 4G mobile broadband networks, augmenting our network coverage in markets we launch, changing our sales and marketing strategy and or acquiring additional spectrum.
- If our business fails to perform as we expect, or if we elect to pursue new plans or strategies, we may be required to raise substantial additional financing, and if we are unable to raise such financing on acceptable terms we may need to modify our plans accordingly.
- We may fail to realize all of the anticipated benefits of the transactions with Sprint and the strategic investors.
- We are committed to using commercially reasonable efforts to deploy wireless broadband networks based solely on mobile WiMAX technology, even if there are alternative technologies available in the future that are technologically superior or more cost effective.
- We currently depend on our commercial partners to develop and deliver the equipment for our legacy and mobile WiMAX networks.
- Many of our competitors are better established and have significantly greater resources, and may subsidize their competitive offerings with other products and services.
- Our substantial indebtedness and restrictive debt covenants could limit our financing options and liquidity position and may limit our ability to grow our business.
- Sprint Nextel Corporation owns a majority of our shares, resulting in Sprint holding a majority voting interest in the Company, and Sprint may have, or may develop in the future, interests that may diverge from other stockholders.
- Future sales of large blocks of our common stock may adversely impact our stock price.
For a more detailed description of the factors that could cause such a difference, please refer to Clearwire's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the information under the heading "Risk Factors" in our Annual Report on Form 10-K filed on February 24, 2010 and our Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q filed on May 6, 2010. Clearwire assumes no obligation to update or supplement such forward-looking statements.
SOURCE: Clearwire Corporation
National Media and Industry Analysts - JLM Partners for Clearwire Mike DiGioia 206-819-9032 (mobile) 206-381-3600 (office) email@example.com or Local Western Region Media Contact - Clearwire Corporation Debra Havins, 303-210-7269 (mobile) firstname.lastname@example.org