Eliminates Layers of Cost and Complexity in Legacy Networks; Rescues IT Managers with Network Automation Super-Powers
SUNNYVALE, Calif., May 17, 2010 — Juniper Networks® (NASDAQ:JNPR, news, filings) today unveiled new software, services, systems and partnerships that will help enterprise IT dramatically reduce the cost and complexity of data center networking while also improving application and business performance. The “new network” for data centers is fueled by critical innovations in automation, virtualization and fabric technologies, which can cut time to operation by up to 50 percent and eliminate up to 35 percent of data center networking capital expenditures. The company also announced new switches and the delivery of new routers that yield up to a five-fold and eight-fold improvement in network performance, respectively.
Today’s announcements overcome the “old network” approach of adding more boxes to boost performance, which adds cost and complexity to the data center. Alternatively, optimizing for economics has typically required sacrificing speed, scalability and other performance needs. Juniper has now created a “new network” alternative for customers by delivering a cloud-ready data center architecture that eliminates trade-offs between experience and economics.
As part of today’s launch, Juniper is introducing new capabilities that will help customers simplify, automate and secure their enterprise and data center networks, while providing a strong network foundation to manage and deliver cloud services:
- Simplify: Juniper’s new “3-2-1” data center network architecture will allow customers to flatten and simplify legacy data center networks, using Juniper’s breakthrough Virtual Chassis fabric technology to reduce from three to two layers today, and then collapse to one layer via Juniper’s “Project Stratus” fabric in the future. Juniper also helps drive simplification through a single network OS (Junos®), single software release chain, and flexible software platforms (Junos, Junos Space and Junos Pulse). Building on that software and architecture, Juniper unveiled new 10 Gigabit Ethernet switches and routers that deliver significant improvements in network performance, along with a data center roadmap that converges networks.
- Automate: Junos Space delivers an unmatched network application platform to automate provisioning, management and support for data center networks, lowering the cost of data center operations and improving the end user experience. This includes four new software applications based on Junos Space (introduced last October): Virtual Control software to manage physical and virtual systems from a common orchestration platform; Ethernet Design and Security Design software to enable rapid configuration and deployment of data center networks and security policies; and Service Now with Service Insight to enable fast and proactive detection, diagnosis and resolution of network issues. To enable Virtual Control, Juniper announced a new collaboration with VMware that takes advantage of their open APIs to achieve seamless orchestration across both physical and virtual network elements.
- Secure: Juniper’s world-class network security helps IT adapt to new user behaviors and changing data flows in the data center, driven in part by virtualization, Web 2.0 and cloud services deployments. This “dynamic security model” is brought to life on Juniper’s SRX Series Services Gateways through new AppTrack software, which gives IT managers unprecedented application and user visibility to better manage data flows and pinpoint bottlenecks. In addition, Junos Pulse (now shipping) and Junos Space (including Security Design) enable IT to dynamically manage identities, applications and policies across their network from devices to data centers. Juniper also announced that IBM has started shipping OEM versions of the SRX Series, enabling IBM customers to get the world’s fastest network firewall as part of their integrated data center solutions.
In addition to the software, systems and partnerships above, Juniper also announced a new Juniper Care Plus services portfolio for mission-critical support for enterprise customers that is designed to mitigate risk by protecting high performance network investments while increasing reliability and operational effectiveness, and lowering operational expenses. Juniper Care Plus will keep the network at optimum readiness through designated high-touch support, proactive automation tools that help automate and simplify the network, and personalized services such as education, network consulting and account management. Juniper Care Plus will be available through both Juniper and its partners, including IBM that will deliver Juniper expertise, automation and support via one call globally.
“It’s time for a fundamental change in the data center — one that opens up the network, makes it much easier to manage, and delivers the right experiences without sacrificing economics,” said Kevin Johnson, CEO of Juniper Networks. “The traditional approach of more boxes and more layers benefits legacy vendors, while burdening the customer with cost and complexity. Our approach is different, and it’s fueled by a combination of Juniper and partner innovation at the systems, software and services levels — all designed to help IT eliminate those layers of cost and complexity, while also enhancing application and business performance.”
“Companies must look beyond traditional multi-layered, complex and inflexible networks to support virtualized and globally distributed data centers today and cloud computing tomorrow,” said Andreas M. Antonopoulos, senior vice president and founding partner, Nemertes Research. “The network must become much more dynamic, flexible and automated without sacrificing performance.”
To get more information or join the conversation, please refer to the following resources:
- Juniper Launch Site and Webcast — www.thenewnetworkishere.com
- Juniper Online Newsroom — www.juniper.net/press
- The Network Ahead blog — www.juniper.net/networkahead
- Juniper.Net Community — www.juniper.net/community
- Juniper’s Social Channels — www.juniper.net/social
About Juniper Networks
From devices to data centers, from consumers to the cloud, Juniper Networks delivers innovative software, silicon and systems that transform the experience and economics of networking. The company serves more than 30,000 customers and partners worldwide, and generated more than $3 billion in revenue over the last year. Additional information can be found at www.juniper.net.
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logos are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.
This press release contains statements which may be considered forward-looking within the meaning of the U.S. federal securities laws, including statements relating to the expected timeframe of availability of Juniper Networks products and the expected future benefits and performance of Juniper Networks products. These statements are subject to known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause actual achievements to differ from those expressed or implied in this press release, including unforeseen delays and other risks associated with the product development and release process. Additional information concerning these and other risk factors is contained in the Risk Factors sections of Juniper Networks’ Form 10-Q for the quarter ended March 31, 2010. Juniper Networks assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking information contained in this press release.